PDA

View Full Version : Forum - technical issues

Pages : [1] 2

pabbers
02-10-2011, 10:15
Please let us know here if you have any problems with the new forum.

Cathy66
02-10-2011, 18:33
Hi Pat. How do i add a photo or avatar. I haven't got a clue.:confused: xx

Cathy66
02-10-2011, 18:51
:shamed:Guess what? I found it.

KnightOwl
02-10-2011, 18:59
Well done - I was just about to try and explain, but you got there first :thumbup:

pabbers
02-10-2011, 23:00
Hi Pat. How do i add a photo or avatar. I haven't got a clue.:confused: xx

Phew - glad you got it sorted - sorry I'd gone out so wasn't around to help. But never fear there's usually someone who'll come along and help.

traveller7
03-10-2011, 23:37
I have tried to add one but it hasnt uploaded on my posts.

Linda
04-10-2011, 07:11
Traveller, I see that you have a profile picture but not an avatar. They are two different things on this forum - you need to Edit Avatar, not Edit Profile Pic. :thumbup:

RoastLamb
04-10-2011, 13:19
I tried sending a PM to two people just now and it told me I could only send it to one user. But I've had PMs that had multiple recipients on it so am wondering why I can't?

hfwardhouse
04-10-2011, 13:26
I tried sending a PM to two people just now and it told me I could only send it to one user. But I've had PMs that had multiple recipients on it so am wondering why I can't?

Looking into it - will get back to you with an answer!

Sallydaisy
04-10-2011, 13:34
Sorted - we had an anti-spamming measure in place in case those pesky bots tried it on.

Try now RL.
There is a limit of 5 set.

RoastLamb
04-10-2011, 13:34
Brilliant - thanks!

traveller7
04-10-2011, 15:47
Traveller, I see that you have a profile picture but not an avatar. They are two different things on this forum - you need to Edit Avatar, not Edit Profile Pic. :thumbup:

Thanks for that doh!

ChrisMac
09-10-2011, 14:37
What has happened to the avatars they have gotten really small, they were not as wee as this before?

Linda
09-10-2011, 14:43
We got used to the full size avatars on the temporary forum! They were always too small on the old forum - something I often complained about! I could never make out what/who some of them were meant to be. Would be great if they could be made bigger on here.

jaysee
11-10-2011, 20:56
Intermittent problem and not high priority:- on some threads, when I click "View First Unread" I get a popup box saying:

Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? Changes made in the editor will be lost.

I click OK and then it goes to the first unread as it should (and no, I haven't started to write a post). It only happens on a few threads, but seems to be consistent on those - e.g. at the moment both the main Shanghai thread and the Newspapers thread are doing this.

AllyB
11-10-2011, 21:19
I've had that a couple of times but assumed I had inadvertantly started a quick post!

davech
11-10-2011, 21:45
Hi jaysee & AllyB! It's possible you may have found a bug in this version of VBulletin. I'll have a play too, but if you can work out how to consistently reproduce the effect, it'll help any VB Support tickets we end up raising.

Edit: OK, it doesn't happen when I try it. Can you let me know which browser & version you're using?

Hawkeye
11-10-2011, 22:18
It tends to happen if you navigate away from a page before it has completely loaded.

AllyB
12-10-2011, 07:59
Quite possible Hawkeye, as i've said before my broadband is very rural. Unfortunately things are quite fast this morning and i'm not quick enough to try and replicate it. As i've said its only happened a couple of times for me. Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421 if it turns out to be a bigger issue.

jaysee
12-10-2011, 09:52
Hawkeye could be right - the Shanghai thread has a big logo on the first post, which takes a couple of seconds to load even with my cable broadband, and when I waited a few seconds before pressing 'view first unread' just now, the pop-up didn't appear. Windows XP and IE 8 if it's relevant.

Related issue, something I thought about with the old forum but never got around to asking - is there any way of getting 'view first unread' onto the thread list along with the page numbers, so that you only have to load one page, rather than going to the thread then going to first unread?

-J-
12-10-2011, 10:57
Hawkeye could be right - the Shanghai thread has a big logo on the first post, which takes a couple of seconds to load even with my cable broadband, and when I waited a few seconds before pressing 'view first unread' just now, the pop-up didn't appear. Windows XP and IE 8 if it's relevant.

Related issue, something I thought about with the old forum but never got around to asking - is there any way of getting 'view first unread' onto the thread list along with the page numbers, so that you only have to load one page, rather than going to the thread then going to first unread?that's one of the signs, now just be on the lookout for his three cohorts on hoarse back wielding sickles

hfwardhouse
12-10-2011, 11:27
I've had the same message about navigating away - if I then go down the page there's a quoted post in the box - haven't investigated which post it is that's been quoted - whether the first post in the thread or the last ...

Hawkeye
12-10-2011, 12:04
Related issue, something I thought about with the old forum but never got around to asking - is there any way of getting 'view first unread' onto the thread list along with the page numbers, so that you only have to load one page, rather than going to the thread then going to first unread?If you mean what I think you mean, then you've always been able to do that. On the thread list, if a thread has unread posts, then to the left of the thread name is a little round button with two white arrows on it, clicking this takes you to the first unread post in that thread. Apologies if you meant something else!

jaysee
12-10-2011, 12:20
If you mean what I think you mean, then you've always been able to do that. On the thread list, if a thread has unread posts, then to the left of the thread name is a little round button with two white arrows on it, clicking this takes you to the first unread post in that thread. Apologies if you meant something else!

:shamed: Never spotted that one!! Thanks.

supergran
13-10-2011, 21:49
Dave, can you help me?How do I get a bigger size, colour etc. Tried when doing Sally's birthday message just clicking on as I do when writing an e-mail but all I got was my instructions. No enlargement, no colour. What is different here? Would appreciate your advice written for an idiot. Thanks.

Sallydaisy
13-10-2011, 21:59
Hi SG. Dave just transmogrified into Sallydaisy .....

Dave, can you help me?How do I get a bigger size, colour etc. Tried when doing Sally's birthday message just clicking on as I do when writing an e-mail but all I got was my instructions. No enlargement, no colour. What is different here? Would appreciate your advice written for an idiot. Thanks.

How do I get a bigger size, colour etc.
Do you mean when you've typed something and then want to make it look bigger or a different colour?

All you do is highlight the text (as you used to do), then click on the icons in the bar above the posting box.
Size or A for colours, B for bold etc.
Have a go and see if it works.

supergran
13-10-2011, 22:11
thanks for that All I had to do was ask. Genius Sally!!

Mickey
15-10-2011, 06:28
For some reason or other when I go to Advanced and click on a smiley it doesn't go on my post. Never had this problem before!

Linda
15-10-2011, 09:03
I found that if I type something and then click advanced and a smiley, it puts it at the beginning of the post. To put it at the end, after clicking advanced I then have to put the cursor back at the end of my post before clicking the smiley.

RoastLamb
15-10-2011, 20:39
Yes, I get that too.

Sallydaisy
25-10-2011, 23:04
Hello all.

Just a brief note to apologise for the short time that we were offline.
There's been some server problems tonight but we believe they are now resolved.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

But we're back.
:shades:

40-15
25-10-2011, 23:07
cheers Sally - did notice that the site was offline -
went and made a cup tea!! - and great your back - cheers!!

Linda
23-11-2011, 20:49
Ah, we're back. The forum was down for a few minutes.

pippadaisy
23-11-2011, 20:52
Ah I wondered I thought it was me because I tried to post tht Andrew Castle was a tube :lol:

Speedy Hawk
23-11-2011, 21:31
So did I, it did happen before and 3 website was down but this time it only here so glad it know it not my PC is problem.

Lizzim
24-11-2011, 18:29
I have discovered an odd issue - I have just tried playing a couple of games on the arcade (first time since I now have nothing better to do with my time). I got to the end of my game (and would have beat one of the high scores!) and it told me that the administrator has denied access to my member group :confused:

KnightOwl
24-11-2011, 18:50
I have discovered an odd issue - I have just tried playing a couple of games on the arcade (first time since I now have nothing better to do with my time). I got to the end of my game (and would have beat one of the high scores!) and it told me that the administrator has denied access to my member group :confused:

I've had this before Lizzi - if you log out and then log in again with the "remember me" box ticked, that should solve the problem - it's a pest if you share a computer, but it's the only way we've found that makes it work!

Let me know if that helps....!

Lizzim
24-11-2011, 18:51
Don't really like doing that - but if it's the only way I can beat scores then I'll have to give it a go!

Sallydaisy
28-11-2011, 13:04
Hi everyone.

Just a note to apologise for the short time we were offline today; all is now sorted.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

:thumbup:

JAMES4578
28-11-2011, 15:23
Hopefully there won't be too more problems, though mind you think it's only been a minor inconvenience.

Speedy Hawk
28-11-2011, 17:40
Better today than last week cos of WTF.

davech
19-12-2011, 15:10
Hello all.

Apologies to anyone who has been trying to access the forum over the last couple of hours. The database server was down starting at around 12:30, meaning that although the home page was available, the forum wasn't. Everything is back up and running now, though!

pabbers
19-12-2011, 17:32
Running at a snail's pace for me - even with the snow turned off, which I've realised does affect things like the speed at which what I type appears on screen. Worse in IE than Firefox.

hfwardhouse
19-12-2011, 17:37
Forum been running very slow for me too .... although I closed down and logged back on and it's a lot better again.

patmoren
19-12-2011, 19:03
Forum been running very slow for me too .... although I closed down and logged back on and it's a lot better again.
There was me thinking it was my sons broadband speed!!

pabbers
19-12-2011, 22:11
Good to know I'm not the only one. Off to bed so hopefully tomorrow will be a snail free day!

supergran
19-12-2011, 23:43
Well, that was weird. Logged in to forum and went to a thread. As I tried to post the page disappeared and a Google message telling me that the internet was not available and I couldn't access the Andy Murray Fan Forum. Tried twice then tweeted my problem. Decided to try again but when I noticed the old forum thought I'd have a nosey. This forum came up and is working fine. So I got this forum by clicking on the old one powered by v-bulletin. Strange, don't you think?? Or is there a logical answer that a techno would understand? I can't.

Speedy Hawk
19-12-2011, 23:48
Same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Was trying to type in password and page took fooooooorever to load. So close browser and open again and speed was back to normal.

JAMES4578
20-12-2011, 07:38
A bit slow again earlier this morning but seems ok now.

patmoren
20-12-2011, 09:36
Mine is still very slow but probably not the Forums faul.

Sallydaisy
20-12-2011, 09:41
It's still a little bit slow for me too but otherwise it's working fine.
I had problems with hotmail yesterday all day.

supergran
20-12-2011, 10:12
So slow again today. Signing out as posts taking ages. Try again later.

Linda
20-12-2011, 11:52
The forum is really, really, slow lately. I've switched off the snow and it's still slow. I'm not having problems with any other sites. It's strange, 'cos normally if I have any problems with the internet this is the one site that still works OK (probably because there are not many graphics on here). Hm, just a thought - could the Christmas banner be slowing it down? Try changing it back and see if it improves.

Sallydaisy
20-12-2011, 11:58
Hi Linda - it's not the forum that is causing the slowness (or the banner graphic) but some continuing problems following on from yesterday when our database server went down. See Dave's post here. (http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?178-Forum-technical-issues&p=23567&viewfull=1#post23567)This is in the hands of other technical people (our hosts) so we will just have to be patient until it is fixed properly.
The forum might run slowly for a while longer until it is all sorted out; apologies for that.

I don't have the snow on all the time because I found it slowed down forum performance - but it's not the reason for, or being made worse by, the offsite technical glitch we're currently experiencing.

Linda
20-12-2011, 12:01
Thanks Sally.

supergran
21-12-2011, 00:41
Hello, need a bit of help. My pages are on the extreme right of screen again!!! Think it was KnightOwl who told me what to do last time......but I've forgotten. Think I had to click on the right!!!

supergran
21-12-2011, 08:21
Went back in the other thread and read the advice. I have right clicked, got cascade windows, clicked on that but nothing happened. Everything still to right of screen!!!

Speedy Hawk
21-12-2011, 19:38
Are you using Windows 7?

RoastLamb
21-12-2011, 23:24
Finding it really slow and I keep duplicating my posts. Sorry about that. Argh.

davech
22-12-2011, 00:16
Apologies again to anyone who has been trying to access the forum tonight. Unfortunately, we experienced another problem with the web server, which meant the forum was unavailable from around 9:40pm GMT until a short while ago. Also, some of you have noticed that the forum is running slowly at times - this is a different problem, this time with the database server. We are doing all we can to prevent these problems happening in the future, but a lot of it is down to the technical people responsible for hosting andymurrayfanforum.com. Watch this space for more updates!

JAMES4578
22-12-2011, 00:19
Know much of it is outside your control, but hopefully things will start to run more smoothly.

KnightOwl
22-12-2011, 00:38
Thanks James - that's appreciated.

We do very much want to provide a fantastic service for all forum members - it's extremely important to all of us that we do so - but as you say, there are things we don't have direct control over, so we just have to be a bit patient, and wait for the experts to solve the issues.

I'm certain they will - we just have to hang in there :)

supergran
22-12-2011, 16:10
I had problems earlier today...was unable to log in. Thank goodness you're back!:big grin::santa dance:

KnightOwl
22-12-2011, 16:17
Sorry, SG :hug:

I know it's tough at the moment - believe me, we're as frustrated as you are - but we're doing all we can and we hope it will all be sorted out soon...

Edit: I hope I don't jinx anything, but this time it seems quicker after coming back online, or is that just me...?

RoastLamb
22-12-2011, 16:20
Much quicker now, thank you. Back to normal I'd say.

patmoren
22-12-2011, 16:59
I'm not any quicker, painfully slow, keep giving up. When I try and post get a message saying do I really want to leave the page!!!

Linda
22-12-2011, 19:25
I kept getting that message last night, until the forum became unavailable completely so I gave up. It seems to be working OK this evening (fingers crossed).

supergran
22-12-2011, 21:18
Sorry, SG :hug:

I know it's tough at the moment - believe me, we're as frustrated as you are - but we're doing all we can and we hope it will all be sorted out soon...

Edit: I hope I don't jinx anything, but this time it seems quicker after coming back online, or is that just me...? Cheers, not your fault I know.

supergran
02-01-2012, 23:02
Just come on. Everything on the right of screen again. Can't even put you on full screen. Why does this happen? Really fed up with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-J-
02-01-2012, 23:05
your cascade windows thingy again ? or is this summit else

supergran
02-01-2012, 23:08
Got a mind of its own now. Going up and down and I'm not touching anything!!!

supergran
02-01-2012, 23:09
Went to cascade windows but no different.

-J-
02-01-2012, 23:10
perhaps a key stuck or faulty moose ?

supergran
02-01-2012, 23:31
Whatever. Switched off completely, poured another glass and hey presto....everything is now working. BUT would still like to know why it happens to me!!!!!!! But you are kind to care. Appreciate it. xx

supergran
02-01-2012, 23:34
I don't b***** believe it....now fb is to the far right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-J-
02-01-2012, 23:36
do you mean like a single column?

supergran
03-01-2012, 00:51
No...whole screen that I see is to the right of me. Forum OK now but fb and twitter + hotmail no good!!

supergran
03-01-2012, 11:45
Everything back to normal after initial problem this morning.

pabbers
03-01-2012, 13:00
Everything back to normal after initial problem this morning.

Gremlins???????

patmoren
10-01-2012, 12:41
I do not seem to be able to add smilies to my posts. Started with Andys final but after clicking for half a dozen time it appeared. Has just happened again, gave up after three attempts. I "Go Advanced", put the cursor in the text box where I want the smilie to go, click on the smilie I want and nothing happens over and over again. Have not had the problem before the weekend although I don't use a lot of smilies.

davech
10-01-2012, 13:14
Hmm - not sure what's going wrong here - the smilies seem to be working fine for me. It may be a browser glitch. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Sallydaisy
10-01-2012, 13:25
I do not seem to be able to add smilies to my posts. Started with Andys final but after clicking for half a dozen time it appeared. Has just happened again, gave up after three attempts. I "Go Advanced", put the cursor in the text box where I want the smilie to go, click on the smilie I want and nothing happens over and over again. Have not had the problem before the weekend although I don't use a lot of smilies.

:flowers:

Oh dear Pat. It's strange that you can access the smileys but they don't work when you click on them. I've not had any problems.

KnightOwl
10-01-2012, 13:30
Oh dear, Pat!

Just testing: :grrr::flowers::help:

Seems ok for me....

What happens - does nothing appear in the post (ie a pair of colons with a word in them) or does the "tag" appear but not show the smiley?

A couple of things you could try - you could type the code in manually for ones you know - each is a word inside a pair of colons, so the ones I just used were grrr flowers and help. Alternatively, you could try clicking on "more" underneath the selection of smileys, and try clicking on one from the full list in the pop-up window - unless you've already tried that...?

RoastLamb
10-01-2012, 14:23

Same here. Thought it was just me. I have to manually type them in.

Speedy Hawk
10-01-2012, 16:36
I had same problem before but it working now. It usually work better if make sure cursor is in text box before add in smiley. Most of time it should work doesn't matter where cursor is but forum/browser can be fussy sometimes.

patmoren
10-01-2012, 21:26
I do have the cursor in the text box before trying to add the smiley but nothing at all happens. With my ancient memory I would never be able to do them manually. Does the same with the full list. Never mind I will remain serious!

-J-
10-01-2012, 21:55
:help: if you go toyour profile and select the general settings from the left hand side menu then scroll down the page to miscellanious option select enhanced interface and save
this will allow you to drag the smiley by simply clicking and holding the button down and moving the smiley on to the text box

rondun
25-01-2012, 19:43
I've found a few peoples avatars saved on my computer from the old forum...

so if hawkeye, hfw, lankster, lynne, roastlamb or xenon have lost your old avatar and would like it back, drop me a PM

-J-
31-01-2012, 21:10
just out of curiosity is there any real reason the left hand column(dv thingie that contains users name post count, title and avater) is so wide seems there is a lot of dead space in it
or is that just me ?

Linda
31-01-2012, 21:17
It is wide - we could have bigger avatars! Would love to be able to see some of them properly.

davech
31-01-2012, 21:57
just out of curiosity is there any real reason the left hand column(dv thingie that contains users name post count, title and avater) is so wide seems there is a lot of dead space in it
or is that just me ?

It's just how VBulletin set it up. We tried reducing the size of the left hand column, but other things broke so we decided to leave it.

-J-
31-01-2012, 22:06
It's just how VBulletin set it up. We tried reducing the size of the left hand column, but other things broke so we decided to leave it.sure its the cell padding that needs reducing but not the kind of think you wanna experiment with i suppose

davech
31-01-2012, 22:15
sure its the cell padding that needs reducing but not the kind of think you wanna experiment with i suppose

If I remember correctly, there are several nested containers that all depend on each other. Changing the width of one pushes another out of whack, and so on. It's a big messy CSS headache, basically.

-J-
31-01-2012, 22:26
If I remember correctly, there are several nested containers that all depend on each other. Changing the width of one pushes another out of whack, and so on. It's a big messy CSS headache, basically.css makes life so much easier, NOT
actually css is useful when doing your own stuff but when there is so much of it as the forums contain its becomes a complete nightmare

rondun
03-02-2012, 21:28
Ooh, can we get a http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/rondun/groan.gif button? Can we? Can we!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/rondun/thanks.gif

Linda
21-03-2012, 15:22
Is it just me or has the forum been really slow for the past couple of days?

AllyB
21-03-2012, 16:06
Is it just me or has the forum been really slow for the past couple of days?

I don't know. How fast are you normally?

pabbers
21-03-2012, 18:09
It's been slow for me but I thought maybe it was my connection. Thinking about it maybe it's the site.

Hawkeye
21-03-2012, 18:37
Fine for me.

davech
24-03-2012, 09:18
Seems OK here at the moment. We share our server with other web sites, so there is bound to be a bit of fluctuation at times when the others are busy.

Linda
24-03-2012, 16:14
It's fine again now, but it was very slow for a couple of days.

Sallydaisy
18-07-2012, 10:01
We seem to have had a bit of a technical glitch but the forum is loading fine now.

davech
19-07-2012, 21:05
We're experiencing another technical glitch, but hopefully things will be running smoothly again soon.

RoastLamb
27-07-2012, 01:48
I don't know why but every time I go to post a reply I get a thing pop up asking if I'm leaving the page or staying on. If I click staying on nothing happens so I have to click the leaving one and it's really annoying.

Sallydaisy
27-07-2012, 07:44
Sorry to hear that RoastLamb. That happens to me sometimes but not every time.

There seem to be a couple of problems this morning.
The technical team are looking into it and we'll keep you posted.

davech
27-07-2012, 10:08
As some of you may have noticed, we've been having a few technical issues with the forum. We're going to do a bit of work to fix a couple of problems, so don't worry if the forum starts to run slowly again.

UPDATE: OK, it looks like everything's working OK again. As always, if anyone spots something that doesn't seem to be working properly, let us know and we'll try to sort it out as quickly as possible.

RoastLamb
27-07-2012, 15:05
It's gone now. Huzzah! :thanks:

Sallydaisy
28-07-2012, 16:34
arghh - I keep losing the forum, is there still a problem with it?

Not had any problems today - in fact it seems to be running quite well.

rondun
28-07-2012, 16:40
Not had any problems today - in fact it seems to be running quite well.Seems to have been for a few days - make a post ... Page doesn't load ... reload page (and repeat) ... Leave page? or stay on page? ... eventually works
Averaging 3 or 4 minutes between refreshes :(

Jan
28-07-2012, 16:41
Brilliant returning from Andy!

arghh - I keep losing the forum, is there still a problem with it?

I've found it really slow today and sometimes it's struggling to open or refresh pages

Sallydaisy
28-07-2012, 16:51
Seems to have been for a few days - make a post ... Page doesn't load ... reload page (and repeat) ... Leave page? or stay on page? ... eventually works
Averaging 3 or 4 minutes between refreshes :(

I've found it really slow today and sometimes it's struggling to open or refresh pages

I'm really sorry to hear this.
There was a server problem the other day which was fixed and hasn't given us any reported trouble since.
I have quite an old desktop PC which usually suffers when amff is running slow but I'm not having that problem.

Not sure what to suggest in the absence of any back-end problems.
:sad:

rondun
28-07-2012, 17:44
Problem is it comes and goes - but it's been bad more than it's been good.
I think part of the problem might be to do with the Autosave function - is there a way to turn that off and see?

cazza99
28-07-2012, 17:50
I think part of the problem might be to do with the Autosave function - is there a way to turn that off and see?

We've passed this on to our tech team.

davech
29-07-2012, 12:06

I've searched to see if other forums have had performance problems with auto-save in the editor and I haven't found anything. Was there a specific reason why you suspected auto-save might be slowing things down?

Hawkeye
29-07-2012, 15:11
Tried flushing your DNS cache rondun?

Alis
29-07-2012, 15:31
Anyone any ideas as to why I can't get my 'smileys' to work?

davech
29-07-2012, 15:34
Anyone any ideas as to why I can't get my 'smileys' to work?

Can you take us through the sequence you go through when adding smileys, Alis?

rondun
29-07-2012, 17:04
I've searched to see if other forums have had performance problems with auto-save in the editor and I haven't found anything. Was there a specific reason why you suspected auto-save might be slowing things down?Because of the "Stay on page / leave page" thing - suggests info is being stored even after making a post. Somebody else reported seeing it a lot as well (maybe RL.)
Also had a "double post" problem when I had to wait 15 secs even though I'd only posted once.

Tried flushing your DNS cache rondun?Tried different computers and different browsers and it still happens but not easily repeatable. - It's been better today but still a few time out errors. No other websites / forums are affected in the same way.

Linda
29-07-2012, 17:06
I've had that message very occasionally - I think it happens when my computer/internet is running slowly for some reason. Most of the time I have no problems.

Sallydaisy
29-07-2012, 17:16
I've had that message very occasionally - I think it happens when my computer/internet is running slowly for some reason. Most of the time I have no problems.
I get it for the same reason I think - and my desktop is feeling it's age so is slower to load things.

Jan
29-07-2012, 17:18
I've still been getting the "stay on page/leave page" quite a lot when trying to post, but also it'still just timong out a lot when I try to go to another thread without posting.

Alis
29-07-2012, 17:37
Can you take us through the sequence you go through when adding smileys, Alis?

I just press 'Go Advanced' and try to add a smiley once I've written my message. It seems to have worked in the past but perhaps I should be doing something else.

davech
02-08-2012, 08:13
Apologies for the forum outage earlier this morning. This was due to a network problem at our service provider centre, but they've fixed it and it's all back now. Let us know if you experience any subsequent problems with the forum.

Jan
15-08-2012, 10:25
Still having "timing out" problems a lot of the time when I try to look at different threads. Plus the "do you want to leave the page?" question appearing often when I try to post. It's very frustrating, and means that I can't post in "real time" as it takes a long time for the post to appear (if I don't give up in the meantime) and then looks irrelevant! Sorry - this isn't a moan or complaint about the forum - I expect it's something to do with our computer, but I've no idea what. I have tried a different browser, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Hawkeye
15-08-2012, 16:31
try a DNS flush.

Jan
15-08-2012, 16:55
try a DNS flush.

Thanks - That sounds painful!!

I'll have a word with my technical support (husband) and see if he knows what to do!

edit - the deed is done, but it doesn't seem to have improved things :sad:

Thanks for trying :thumbup:

AllyB
15-08-2012, 21:10
Still having "timing out" problems a lot of the time when I try to look at different threads. Plus the "do you want to leave the page?" question appearing often when I try to post. It's very frustrating, and means that I can't post in "real time" as it takes a long time for the post to appear (if I don't give up in the meantime) and then looks irrelevant! Sorry - this isn't a moan or complaint about the forum - I expect it's something to do with our computer, but I've no idea what. I have tried a different browser, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I had a really slow broadband connection for a while (still rural, but better than it used to be) and I found that I got that problem on threads with photos as I was trying to post before the page had fully loaded. Not sure if thats the same with you or if you have it with every thread, but there are options in Settings>General Settings to not display images/avatars/signatures if you have a slow connection.

Helen40
16-08-2012, 00:01
I had a really slow broadband connection for a while (still rural, but better than it used to be) and I found that I got that problem on threads with photos as I was trying to post before the page had fully loaded. Not sure if thats the same with you or if you have it with every thread, but there are options in Settings>General Settings to not display images/avatars/signatures if you have a slow connection.
Try disabling your pictures in your internet options and maybe some add ons too.

Jan
16-08-2012, 08:06

mmm that does happen, but it's not confined to that. I'll give it a try!

edit - at a first try it doesn't seem to help, but I'll give it another go later!

Linda
07-09-2012, 09:36
Ah, the forum is back now! I couldn't get on earlier.

lynne
07-09-2012, 10:53
No I couldn't either Linda, took me about an hour or so to get the forum up!:thumbup:

davech
07-09-2012, 13:34
Sorry for the down time. I'm not sure what the problem could have been this morning - there's no mention of a problem in any of the logs.

rondun
10-09-2012, 13:03
:crying:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/rondun/amcom/timeout.png

Jan
10-09-2012, 14:52
yes I still get this a lot of the time - it's really frustrating, isn't it?

Sallydaisy
24-09-2012, 21:43
Apologies for the forum outage this evening.
This was due to a network problem at our service provider centre but we understand they've fixed it.
However, the system might run a little slowly for a while longer.

Let us know if you experience any subsequent problems with the forum.

Jan
25-09-2012, 06:50
thanks Sally.

Sallydaisy
29-09-2012, 20:38
Apologies for the forum outage this evening.
Our service provider experienced a serious problem and when that happens it's out of our hands.
Let us know if you experience any subsequent problems with the forum.

Linda
29-09-2012, 20:39
Glad to see that they were much quicker than the telecom engineers!

Linda
20-12-2012, 16:48
Is there a problem today? I got chucked off a few minutes ago when trying to post, and had trouble getting in again. Then the same thing happened again.

Sallydaisy
20-12-2012, 16:50
Is there a problem today? I got chucked off a few minutes ago when trying to post, and had trouble getting in again. Then the same thing happened again.
No problems as far as we know .....
:confused:

KazRip44
31-12-2012, 01:07
Ok, how do we get the smileys up? I click on this one above and I get xmas ones. Thanks.

Sallydaisy
31-12-2012, 09:34
Ok, how do we get the smileys up? I click on this one above and I get xmas ones. Thanks.
When you make a post in either 'quick reply' or 'reply to thread' you can only access a few smileys - this is a VBulletin setting which we can't change. However, you can access loads more by clicking on Go Advanced (bottom right middle) below posting box. That will bring up all of them and the option to click on more ... there are about 100 Smileys.

We put the Christmas ones to the front until around the 2nd January and then they'll be dropped back to bottom and our normal ones will return to the top.
+ our Ozzie ones of course ...
:skippy::taz:

There are quite a few with standard short codes e.g. semi-colon and end bracket gives you a wink
;)
and colon/end bracket gives you a smile
:)

As you post more you'll see that most shortcodes names that fit the bill when written inside colons. e.g. rolleyes, pirate, thanks, lol, grrr, cheer, clap, crying
:rolleyes::pirate::thanks::lol::grrr::cheer::clap: :crying:

Sallydaisy
17-01-2013, 13:55
Sorry for the blip in service this afternoon - it was a server error but is now fixed.

pabbers
17-01-2013, 15:41
Was cursing in my lunch hour!

Linda
17-01-2013, 18:11
So was I! When I stopped for lunch I just managed to see the last couple of points of Laura's match and wanted to come here to see all the excitement!

JAMES4578
17-01-2013, 19:35
At least it was sorted quickly enough but unfortunate people couldn't post at a big moment!

supergran
17-01-2013, 23:18
Saw Sally's tweet but as I watched Laura's match in bed I wasn't on here. So made do with comments on fb and twitter.;):skippy:

jeannie13
30-01-2013, 15:47
What happened? I hav'nt been able to access the forum for around 24 hours.

hfwardhouse
30-01-2013, 15:57
The forum was down Jeannie - it was a major technical issue and we had to wait for the technical peeps to fix it - I've only just found we're back up now so :cheer: for that!

Linda
30-01-2013, 16:07
Hooray! The forum is back! :cheer:

Sallydaisy
30-01-2013, 18:11
Hooray! The forum is back! :cheer:
You could have let us know!!!
:p

davech
30-01-2013, 18:39
:yahoo:

JAMES4578
30-01-2013, 19:35
Great news:cheer::cheer::cheer: A major problem this time but we can be thankfull the downtime wasn't even longer!

Jan
30-01-2013, 21:20
ooh we're back! Brilliant!

banskogirl
30-01-2013, 21:31
:boogie: good stuff!

Linda
30-01-2013, 22:13
You could have let us know!!!

Surely you're the first person to know? :confused:

Sallydaisy
19-02-2013, 22:23
Surely you're the first person to know? :confused:
Bad news travels faster ..........
We had another blip this evening for about 20mins - 'tis sorted now.

Linda
19-02-2013, 22:25
I know - I couldn't get on for a while.

supergran
24-02-2013, 13:43
Just watched Pabbers link re son's BBC and then wrote quite a long post. Can't post it as being told my post is too short. This is annoying and frustrating and I don't know why it happens.

Sallydaisy
24-02-2013, 13:52
Just watched Pabbers link re son's BBC and then wrote quite a long post. Can't post it as being told my post is too short. This is annoying and frustrating and I don't know why it happens.

Did you quote Pabbers post and then try to reply to it???
Need to know this first before I can reply with solution.

pabbers
24-02-2013, 19:45

Oh poo!

I've had that message before and it often happens if you quote someone and then (perhaps without realising) reply within the same box where the quote appears (if you see what I mean). If there are no words outside the box it thinks you haven't said anything new.

Linda
24-02-2013, 19:50
Yes, it's rather annoying that you can't just post a quote and/or an emoticon but have to actually type something too (and this could be changed as other boards aren't like that - you can post just a quote or just an emoticon and don't have to say anything else). In this situation I just put a full stop and then it accepts the post.

Hawkeye
24-02-2013, 22:15
Yes, it's rather annoying that you can't just post a quote and/or an emoticon but have to actually type something too (and this could be changed as other boards aren't like that - you can post just a quote or just an emoticon and don't have to say anything else). In this situation I just put a full stop and then it accepts the post.:)

Hawkeye
24-02-2013, 22:15
Yes, it's rather annoying that you can't just post a quote and/or an emoticon but have to actually type something too (and this could be changed as other boards aren't like that - you can post just a quote or just an emoticon and don't have to say anything else). In this situation I just put a full stop and then it accepts the post.;)

Hawkeye
24-02-2013, 22:16
I just did twice what you said couldn't be done, by two different methods.

Linda
24-02-2013, 22:24
Was that changed recently so you can post emoticons on their own? You still can't post a quote on its own, though, as I tried today and had to add a full stop after it to get it posted.

Hawkeye
24-02-2013, 22:26
Nothing's been changed that I'm aware of.

As far as I know, on vBulletins forums quotes aren't part of a post and something else has to be included.

Sallydaisy
24-02-2013, 22:47
Was that changed recently so you can post emoticons on their own?

It's always been possible to post a single emoticon, right from the very start of when we moved to Vbulletin in April 2008. I did just that on the Rotterdam thread the other day here. (http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?1690-ROTTERDAM-(ATP500)-SAN-JOSE-amp-SAO-PAOLO-(ATP-250)-11-17-Feb-2013-Main-thread-entry-lists-amp-info&p=125456&viewfull=1#post125456)

You still can't post a quote on its own, though, as I tried today and had to add a full stop after it to get it posted.
Vbulletin doesn't recognise a quote as a post on it's own. There has to be other dialogue, if only a smiley. The quote facility is there so it's easier to be specific about replying to discussions.

Anyway, why would you quote a post without making a reply to it???
:confused:

(and this could be changed as other boards aren't like that - you can post just a quote or just an emoticon and don't have to say anything else).
No it can't.
There are various 'board' formats available; each has their own unique programming and they are all different. What might work in a 'php' or 'forumotion' board isn't necessarily going to apply to a Vbulletin board or vice-versa. Whoever designed the base programmes will have worked to a set of parameters and that's why some can do things that others cannot.

In Vbulletin, therefore, you cannot make a post that is wholly in Quote tags.
As I've already said - why would anyone want to?
Surely the point of making a quote is to post a reply to it?

I think, as Pabbers had commented, that people think they have to reply WITHIN THE QUOTE for it to work. I've had several people send me PM's like that and I've wondered what the heck was going on because they appear not to have replied to me. After a while I've worked out that they've posted within the body of the quote and I eventually find it and reply.

And no I haven't a clue why people can send a PM wholly in Quote tags but not make a post in the same way. That's Vbulletin for you!

Linda
24-02-2013, 22:54
Thanks Sally

The posts I'm talking about where I have to add something are not where I'm quoting from the forum but where I'm quoting from somewhere else such as Twitter to give information, and because I'm quoting I enclose it in quotes. eg:

Tara Moore ‏@TaraMoore92
Thanks everyone for the kind words and many more wins to come I promise! Read every single tweet & I'm touched. #HappyNinja!!! Thanks again!

Sallydaisy
24-02-2013, 23:03
Thanks Sally

The posts I'm talking about where I have to add something are not where I'm quoting from the forum but where I'm quoting from somewhere else such as Twitter to give information, and because I'm quoting I enclose it in quotes. eg:
In that case it's usually considered the done thing on the internet to state where you've got the quote from especially if it's from a public website e.g. the BBC, ATP tennis or twitter.
If you were writing an article or book you wouldn't just dump in a quote from someone else without referencing it because that'd be impolite and the same applies here.

But it's more about the fact that Vbulletin, and some other board formats, don't accept a post in quote tags because their programmes read that post as invisible. It's also why they don't appear on i-spy. If you look at that in a moment you'll only see my reply to you - not your quote in this post.

Linda
24-02-2013, 23:11
Really? I never look at I-Spy. I don't even know where to find it!

Linda
24-02-2013, 23:16
Just found I-Spy and looked at it. The last one of your posts on there is this one:

Sallydaisy
Today 16:28
General quizzes
Thanks RL - will have a go at that later! (665 views, 35 replies)

That's why I've never used I-Spy, because so many posts never show up on it.

Sallydaisy
24-02-2013, 23:28
Just found I-Spy and looked at it. The last one of your posts on there is this one:

That's why I've never used I-Spy, because so many posts never show up on it.
It's because you'd already visited this thread and typed your post #171.
Then you went to i-spy and came back to post again. I-spy detects, therefore, that you had read the last post on here (because you wrote it ...) so went to my last post in a different thread.

I had left i-spy up and running and immediately saw your post #172, clicked on it and replied.

Linda
24-02-2013, 23:30
Gosh, it's all very complicated, isn't it! I think I'd better go to bed. :sleepy:

lynne
07-04-2013, 12:35
I have had a real battle trying to get into the forum for the last day & a half as it would not accept my password(the password I have had for nearly seven years), so now I will try & change the password which I was sent..........wish me luck!!!:facepalm:

It worked.....:thumbup:

Linda
31-05-2013, 12:13
The 'party' smiley seems to have disappeared - at least twice this week I have typed it on the birthday thread and nothing has appeared.

JAMES4578
31-05-2013, 12:18
Tried to use it yesterday and noticed that!

Sallydaisy
31-05-2013, 12:25
:party:

erm, it is still in our database and is working for me ... so I'm not sure what the problem might be. It may be case sensitive, did you type Party or party?
:Party:

Hawkeye
31-05-2013, 13:38
Maybe it only works for :party: animals? ;)

Hawkeye
31-05-2013, 13:41
Actually Linda, I've just seen the birthday thread and the one you used is there for me.

Linda
31-05-2013, 14:03
I still can't see it :confused:

And your post above just has a space where I know you've typed party.

Even when I look on the list of smileys, there is just a blank space for party. All the others are there OK.

hfwardhouse
31-05-2013, 15:42
:confused: it's working ok for me :party:

Linda
31-05-2013, 15:46
Just checked in IE and it's working there, so it's something specific to Chrome.

pabbers
31-05-2013, 18:03
Was just about to suggest it might be a browser problem, Linda. So many things are these days :grrr:

JAMES4578
31-05-2013, 20:06
There was a problem with the party smilie in Chrome earlier,but it's working ok for me now.

KnightOwl
03-10-2013, 20:43
Just a word of warning - the forum will be going down shortly due to some urgent maintenance work which is required, including moving to a new server - apologies for the short notice, but we've only just found out about it ourselves!

Hopefully we'll be back up and running very soon, however it can take some time for the new IP address to propagate round the world, so worst case it could be a day or two before we're fully back online.

We'll keep everyone posted via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Teresa
20-07-2016, 07:50
For info only

Still not allowing editing posts. It goes into "confused mode" attempts to act, but nothing happens.

cazza99
20-07-2016, 08:37
For info only

Still not allowing editing posts. It goes into "confused mode" attempts to act, but nothing happens.

We are havig the same problems with editing posts too. Until it can be resolved there is a way. When you go in a post and do your edit and press "save" the timing disc keeps on spinnning - when this happens press "refresh" button on your screen top of screen and often near where the url bar is etc depending on what browser you use). The post should have done the edit then..

Teresa
20-07-2016, 09:20
@Cazza - thanks left the double post deliberately so the "techies" were aware it is happening. Not expecting an instant solution. You know the old adage

"To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer":-)

Teresa
20-07-2016, 09:21
@Cazza - thanks left the double post deliberately so the "techies" were aware it is happening. Not expecting an instant solution. You know the old adage

"To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer":-)

Note it is throwing up the "you must wait 25 seconds bit even for new posts" -

dewster99
20-07-2016, 11:57
Allowed me straight in on my phone but wouldn't work on computer. Strange. May be something to do with how we access internet at work

cazza99
20-07-2016, 12:28
Allowed me straight in on my phone but wouldn't work on computer. Strange. May be something to do with how we access internet at work

It will take a few days for the servers etc to settle down.

Jan
20-07-2016, 13:56
I've tried numerous times but only just been successful. So good to be back!

Speedy Hawk
22-07-2016, 12:11
Hi. Not sure happen any other thread but when I post it always duplicate my post in FTM thread.

KnightOwl
22-07-2016, 12:25
Hi Speedy!

Yes, it's happening to a lot of us. In general if you post via 'Go Advanced' rather than 'Quick Reply' it doesn't duplicate.

Fixing it requires a software update on the new server - Dave will try and sort that out over the weekend, so please bear with us :)

cazza99
22-07-2016, 13:07
The same with editing - if you go advanced you can edit posts.

Speedy Hawk
22-07-2016, 14:53
Ok. For now I still do Quick Reply cos I will be post next post anyway (FTM and FTD leaderboard). Any other thread I will do Go Advanced to prevent duplicate post.

-J-
22-07-2016, 17:44
I've had to sneak in the back door

pabbers
22-07-2016, 18:13
I've had to sneak in the back door
:laugh:

jagmad
25-07-2016, 12:35
Hi all:wave:
1st of all well done to all who sorted out the mess the good for nothing ted's created. Great to have the site back up and running.:bravo::thumbup::yahoo:
(even if it is missing quite a bit of past content):sad:
I believe I have the same name as before, and yes I have changed my password.
I guess all who have had to re-register will have to go through the process of waiting
for their first posts to be checked and the usual post so many times before the locked
pages are open to them?
Or can this be sorted??

Any way great to be back and can't wait till DC semi in September.:boogie::GBflag:
Hope to meet some of you where ever it's held,
as long as we can get tickets. I don't really care,
P air

jagmad
25-07-2016, 12:37
:laugh:

I'm still waiting to get in through the window.

harriet
25-07-2016, 15:30
hi there, i was looking back thru a thread on the Andy Rules section, a sticky, Andy Wimbledon champion.
and i have screwed it up. i was rereading ancient posts, back to first page, and thought i could run these continuously, so went to Display, and altered something, and now it won't show anything.
i am leaving it alone at the moment, can i/you reboot it?

cazza99
25-07-2016, 15:42
The thread works OK for me harriet.

I am not quite sure what the problem is that you are describing. Have you tried going back to the forum and entering the thread again?

Hawkeye
25-07-2016, 16:08
Don't worry Harriet, there is nothing an ordinary member can do to damage a thread. However, if you continue to have issues then it looks like they are at your end.

harriet
26-07-2016, 13:42
hi there, clicked on Display again, and took the Switch to Linear mode, and now it's fine.

harriet
26-07-2016, 18:30
and now for something completely different - can someone update 2 threads in the Andy rules, namely Andy's schedule and Andy's ranking.
there were intricate charts there, I do hope the compiler has their own copies of these and can bring them across.
i miss the newspaper and internet stuff a lot, but I suppose that has gone for good?
in the Off court, can we restart some threads - re lendl for example.
i think the forum, the sections i read anyway, is still looking very shellshocked, an accident has happened and we don't seem to be getting over it.

cazza99
26-07-2016, 18:54
You are very welcome to start some threads yourself Harriet - it doesn't have to be a mod.

pabbers
27-07-2016, 06:43
and now for something completely different - can someone update 2 threads in the Andy rules, namely Andy's schedule and Andy's ranking.
there were intricate charts there, I do hope the compiler has their own copies of these and can bring them across.
i miss the newspaper and internet stuff a lot, but I suppose that has gone for good?
in the Off court, can we restart some threads - re lendl for example.
i think the forum, the sections i read anyway, is still looking very shellshocked, an accident has happened and we don't seem to be getting over it.

Not sure what you mean by that but I trust folk are aware that the mods are not paid for what they do. Davech and Knightowl in particular have spent HOURS of their spare time getting the forum back up whilst still going to work and trying to have a life. Sometimes we just have to accept that things aren't and can't be perfect again. The important thing is that members return to the forum, support each other and rise above this malicious act.

Teresa
27-07-2016, 07:15
Not sure what you mean by that but I trust folk are aware that the mods are not paid for what they do. Davech and Knightowl in particular have spent HOURS of their spare time getting the forum back up whilst still going to work and trying to have a life. Sometimes we just have to accept that things aren't and can't be perfect again. The important thing is that members return to the forum, support each other and rise above this malicious act.

I genuinely didn't think Harriet's post inferred a complaint. I think all users are immeasurably grateful for the time and effort The Mods put into keeping this forum running. I think we all realised just how much we missed it when it was down. Knightowl's efforts - particularly in resurrecting "The Memories are Made of this Section" went particularly above and beyond the call of duty. So thanks to you all.

Master Yorkie
27-07-2016, 12:17
Knightowl:

I've been trawling various web-caches trying to recover lost threads - I managed to find some of your blog Maureen, but just the first few pages

If you kept your own backups, you could always post them again?

Master Yorkie:

I wanted to test a theory I had about how some forum threads may still be avalible on caching services so I have had a go at a method I know, Below is an archived version of last years bubble gap results

Manaus:

Making use of what Master Yorkie did in the BG thread I was able to find a cached copy of the thread. I think everybody's entries are on it. Problem is I think it's an older copy as there are some bits of missing information since we were allowed to edit our entries until the deadline.

A few of us have had some success at finding bits of the forum on caching services (Primarily Google - at least in my case)

In case anyone else wants to have a go I have compiled some instructions on how to attempt it, below. (Not the most organised, but better than nothing, I hope!)

If anyone else wants to find an old thread what you need to do is paste the link of the page you are looking for after this prefix
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:
(or cache: - if using chrome)

For instance (in chrome), to find the list of old competitions I would, add cache: to http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?16-Competitions and get cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?16-Competitions

A couple of notes though, the pages that still appear on the website, will still be updated on googles Caching service, so you will not be able to find the old pages for very long.
Only some pages are cached (unfortunantly), for instance upon checking - completely randomly - for pages 500-520 of the andy murray newspaper reports, I could only find pages 503 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page503),506 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page506),509 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page509),510 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page510),511 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page511),513 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page513),516 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page516),517 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page517),518 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Newspaper-and-internet-reports/page518) :confused:

Also, this will only take you to that page, if you want to click on a link to another page, you have to add the prefix shown above after you have clicked the link. (and cross your fingers it is there!)
I don't know how long this system will work, so if you do need to find something, try quickly.
I think most, if not all of the first pages of threads are backed up this way, but subsequent pages are much more random! :surprised:

If I may add my thanks, :thanks: Knightowl for reinstating some of the Davis Cup Memories.

If everyone tried to resurrect a bit of the forum, I think we could go rather a long way, (I know it wouldn't be perfect - especially as there are only some things in the cache!)

Master Yorkie
27-07-2016, 12:54
What happened to the Arcade?

davech
27-07-2016, 13:06
What happened to the Arcade?

Following the upgrade, the arcade didn't work properly, so we've disabled it for now. Hopefully we'll find some time to take a look at it at some point, but it isn't a priority at the moment. Watch this space.

harriet
27-07-2016, 15:20
hi there, it seems to me that there is a disconnect between the Mods and the ordinary user like me.
perhaps a Mod could make a Statement, clarify what happened, why the forum was down, how you got it back etc
it is salutary to be told in terms that the Mods are unpaid, and work hours in their own time to rescue the forum.
and I do thank them for all the work they are putting in.
I think the Mods could blow their own trumpet a bit, a big banner saying why the forum is back to 2013.
i take cazza's point that I, and other users can start threads ourselves
cheers Harriet

Master Yorkie
27-07-2016, 15:23
hi there, it seems to me that there is a disconnect between the Mods and the ordinary user like me.
perhaps a Mod could make a Statement, clarify what happened, why the forum was down, how you got it back etc
it is salutary to be told in terms that the Mods are unpaid, and work hours in their own time to rescue the forum.
and I do thank them for all the work they are putting in.
I think the Mods could blow their own trumpet a bit, a big banner saying why the forum is back to 2013.
i take cazza's point that I, and other users can start threads ourselves
cheers Harriet
Did you see the banner on the forum homepage?

It reads as follows, I think it will answer most of your questions:

A warm welcome everyone, wherever you are, to the Andy Murray Fan Forum - a friendly community for dedicated supporters of tennis player Andy Murray (and Jamie too!).

As I'm sure many of you have realised, the forum was recently a victim of a ransomware attack. We have been able to reinstate it, but unfortunately the only usable backup we had available was from September 2013. Anyone who joined the forum after that, will need to re-register, ideally using the same username so we all recognise each other! Although all passwords on the forum were encrypted, we advise anyone who uses the same password on other sites to change it as a precaution.

For those of you who joined the forum before September 2013, you won't need to re-register, but your password will have been reset to what it was at that time. If this happens, and you can't remember what your password was then, click on 'forgot password' and you should get a reset email shortly which will allow you to change your password.

Welcome back everyone!

Regards,

The Mod Team

harriet
27-07-2016, 15:28
no, haven't seen that, will look.
where is the forum homepage? tell me more about the ransom demand, not paid I deduce?

Josephine
27-07-2016, 17:31
Been trying to post since last night - have changed password now. Hope this finally appears!

Edit: Oh I'm here! Must be the change in password!

cazza99
27-07-2016, 19:48
Would just like to remind members that if the forum is ever down for any significant length of time we will try and make an announcement on our facebook page, so please check there for any information - https://www.facebook.com/Andy-Murray-Fan-Forum-250370285009969/?fref=ts

If you cannot remember where the link is, just key in "Andy Murray Fan Forum" in the Facebook search bar and you will find us.

cazza99
28-07-2016, 13:51
Moved posts relating to caching to a new thread - http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?2259-Thread-caching&p=160493#post160493

patlowe
28-07-2016, 16:38
Would just like to remind members that if the forum is ever down for any significant length of time we will try and make an announcement on our facebook page, so please check there for any information - https://www.facebook.com/Andy-Murray-Fan-Forum-250370285009969/?fref=ts

If you cannot remember where the link is, just key in "Andy Murray Fan Forum" in the Facebook search bar and you will find us.
I have bookmarked it!

Master Yorkie
29-07-2016, 15:40
Not really a problem with the forum - just the user.
But I never could work out how to copy a table from a website eg tffdreamteam to the forum.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Awww.andymurrayfanforum.com%2Fforu ms%2Fshowthread.php%3F3964-Tennis-For-Free-Dream-Team-French-Open-2016%2Fpage6&oq=cache%3Awww.andymurrayfanforum.com%2Fforums%2Fs howthread.php%3F3964-Tennis-For-Free-Dream-Team-French-Open-2016%2Fpage6&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.5433j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Just tried to get a table for an old dream team thread I was rescuing from the cache - hawkeye seemed to manage all right. All I can see is a new table button but I trust you don't have to enter every bit of data in individually (surely not). I have seen others copy tables to the forum and they look exactly the same.
Thanks in advance, M Y.

Hawkeye
29-07-2016, 16:17
It's a simple copy and paste that I do from the tffdreamteam page.

Master Yorkie
29-07-2016, 16:59
It's a simple copy and paste that I do from the tffdreamteam page.

Well this is what happened when I copied and pasted something from tff dreamteam
:help::grrr::confused::crying::confused::angry::su rprised:
Team name Points (overall) Points (men's team) Points (women's team)
cazzas catch 1380 847 533
Manaus' Randomness 1375 889 486
anor's Aces 1358 781 577
fah51 1346 853 493
Karanga 1293 895 398
Hawkeye's Hotties 1211 851 360
LOB IT TO THEM 1203 749 454
Yorkie 1198 757 441
Banskogirl 1174 741 433
Ismisi 1129 820 309
Genbrit 1078 601 477
Linda 972 667 305

What browser/ settings do you use?

Hawkeye
29-07-2016, 17:19
It works for me in IE, Firefox and Chrome...

cazza99
29-07-2016, 18:32
The same happens to be Master Yorkie. I have tried in 3 browsers and get the same format as you. It is one of those irritating technical things that happen. Some forum members post the tables formatted and some do not.

Do not worry too much about the formatting. We can always go back and format later.

Master Yorkie
29-07-2016, 18:36
The same happens to be Master Yorkie. I have tried in 3 browsers and get the same format as you. It is one of those irritating technical things that happen. Some forum members post the tables formatted and some do not.

Do not worry too much about the formatting. We can always go back and format later.

Not overly bothered - just hoped there would be a quick fix! - I will check my settings, but if not, never mind!

cazza99
29-07-2016, 18:37
Not overly bothered - just hoped there would be a quick fix! - I will check my settings, but if not, never mind!

Well if you ever find a solution please let me know. They even don't work for me when I use the same Windows as Hawkeye.

harriet
30-07-2016, 11:34
KnightOwl has posted a new Andy's schedule, which would be great if I could open it - it is a Closed Thread so I can't put my Help call there.
second Item points way to Andy's own site, which has schedule from now on, but KnightOwl promises schedule for first six months of the year, 2016 - BUT there is no link to anything

cazza99
30-07-2016, 11:39
KnightOwl has posted a new Andy's schedule, which would be great if I could open it - it is a Closed Thread so I can't put my Help call there.
second Item points way to Andy's own site, which has schedule from now on, but KnightOwl promises schedule for first six months of the year, 2016 - BUT there is no link to anything

Harriet, it takes a long time for people to retrieve items from caches, even one page and nothing is guaranteed. The reason it is closed is because Kightowl is still looking for information to add to it before anybody can post. We don't know yet what and what we cannot retrieve. Please be patient.

cazza99
30-07-2016, 11:46
Harriet, if you really want to know what tournaments Andy entered this year, you can always go onto the ATP site and look at his activity for the year.

harriet
30-07-2016, 12:09
thanks, I know I am an impatient piece of work - bear with! I quote Miranda.
I have been looking in the archive, and will see if I can post any thing across
Tournament Andy's progress Result
Australian Open 18-31 Jan OH final lost to Djokovic 6-1, 7-5, 7-6(3)

Indian Wells
10-20, March OH lost to Delbonis, R3 Djokovic bt Raonic 6-2, 6-0
Miami
23/3 -4/4 OH lost to Dimitrov R3 Djokovic bt Nishikori, 6-3, 6-3

I need to send the lines of the table, but I thought I can copy across the 1000s and Slams for 2016
would that be OK by you mods, I don't want to tread on any toes and I am delighted with all the work you are putting in after the "accident" . over the weekend I hope

cazza99
30-07-2016, 12:16
It is all in here - http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/andy-murray/mc10/player-activity

jagmad
08-08-2016, 11:07
Hi all Last night because of the amount of posts on certain threads I unsubscribed from
receiving emails when there's a new post in a thread I have posted in because it was filling
my in box.
Problem is it's still sending them, am I doing something wrong.
:sofa:
Any help would be graciously received.
P air

cazza99
08-08-2016, 11:17
I have just checked your settings and they look OK. Maybe there is a delay before they stop coming. Please let us know if it keeps on happening.

jagmad
09-08-2016, 00:02
Hi cazza yes it's still happening for all post's except this one ironically.
Give it another day It'll probably settle down.
It's no worse than this awful windows 10.
Thanks for checking so I know it ain't me.
:thanks:

mickeypops
09-08-2016, 08:41
Hi everyone. I've had to re-register as my account was less than three years old. I seem to have lost the ability to "thank" posts. Does my acccount need to be re-activated or something?

Thanks

MP

cazza99
09-08-2016, 10:48
Hi everyone. I've had to re-register as my account was less than three years old. I seem to have lost the ability to "thank" posts. Does my acccount need to be re-activated or something?

Thanks

MP

It should be OK now.

Big Al
14-08-2016, 23:19
I keep getting redirected to strange adverts, is this something to do with the recent Ransomware thing?

Hawkeye
14-08-2016, 23:28
We're aware of it, it has been reported to our server provider.

patlowe
15-08-2016, 14:25
I keep getting redirected to strange adverts, is this something to do with the recent Ransomware thing?
So do I. Was wondering that too and glad someone else is experiencing same thing...means it's not just my laptop? Hope server provider can sort it!

Teresa
15-08-2016, 14:48
It's happening to me as well. Seems to be betting sites - for info. Not a complaint, it's a miracle you got the site up so quickly.

patlowe
15-08-2016, 18:37
This is not a complaint...just a report. More and more unwanted pop-ups happening, especially one from 'facebook' telling me they can make me a millionaire! The worrying thing was I couldn't get out of it and certainly didn't want to press 'ok'...had ro reboot and since then had a message from Norton saying they had blocked a web attack. Site not working properly...can't use the back button...it's shaded out.

Linda
15-08-2016, 19:12
I haven't had any of these pop-ups . . . but that's probably 'cos I use AdBlock Plus. Perhaps everyone else should too?

cazza99
15-08-2016, 19:18
I use ad blocker and have not had them either.

clancy
15-08-2016, 19:22
I get these pop-ups every time I enter the site.

patlowe
15-08-2016, 19:45
My pop up blocker is on, (not adblock), but the strange thing is, this has never happened until a few days ago! Everything was fine until then. If I download adblock, do I use it in conjunction with my current pop up blocker?

Speedy Hawk
15-08-2016, 20:04
This is not a complaint...just a report. More and more unwanted pop-ups happening, especially one from 'facebook' telling me they can make me a millionaire! The worrying thing was I couldn't get out of it and certainly didn't want to press 'ok'...had ro reboot and since then had a message from Norton saying they had blocked a web attack. Site not working properly...can't use the back button...it's shaded out.

There way force quit internet browser instead reboot computer each time if happen. Not sure which PC Windows you have. I think it very similar or same for all windows. Force quit any software:

CTRL+ALT+DELETE on keyboard together. Then you should see screen with options. Click on "Task Manager". Make sure you in "Applications" tab (you should be anyway). Find browser name your using (Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome whatever you use) and click your browser name then click button "End Task". It should force quit browser for you.

Silverdee
16-08-2016, 08:00
Use an IPad - problem started a few days ago, when I enter forum now and click on say Andy Rules I get taken to App Store and have to press top left of IPad which says back to Safari. Any way I can stop this please? Note, am not very computer savvy! Thanks.

Teresa
16-08-2016, 08:16
Yes I am using an iPad and get the trips to the App Store as well.

Speedy Hawk
16-08-2016, 08:32
It just happen to me my iPhone. Open new tab safari. I quick enough delete tab before page load full.

jackie55
16-08-2016, 08:50
It is happening to me, so glad it's not my tablet, l quickly delete the pop up before the page loads up