Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 264 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Johanna Konta

Johanna Konta

Whilst being born in Australia this young lady has been living in the UK since the age of 13. She has Hungarian parents and, via the EU, has been waiting an initial 5 years for naturalisation and a further year for her nationality to be officially recognised as British. This all went through over the last couple of days and as a result we have a new #6 in the British Womens rankings.

From her page on Wikipedia:
    Johanna Konta is a professional Australian born British tennis player playing in the ITF Women's Circuit. On May 14, 2012, she reached her highest WTA singles ranking of 204. Formerly playing as an Australian from May 2012, Konta earned British citizenship and will now will represent Great Britain.
    From a news article in July 2008:
    Johanna Konta, born in Sydney to Hungarian parents, is soon to be given British citizenship having just turned 17 . When that happens, she is likely to become Britain's leading female junior. The granddaughter of Attila Kertesz, who played in Hungary's football team of the Fifties that starred Ferenc Puskas, she has divided her time between London and Spain since the age of 13 and her Australian accent has almost disappeared.
    She is now based at Roehampton's National Tennis Centre and explained: 'I'm only playing as Australian now under a technicality as my passport is coming through this year. I am definitely becoming British. There is no going back.'
    From a report by Neil Harman in The Times on 9th February 2009:
    Future's bright for British women

The final of the ITF women's $25,000 tournament in Sutton, Surrey yesterday saw Katie O'Brien of Britain defeat Johanna Konta, representing Australia 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. O'Brien has clearly picked up from where she left off in qualifying for the Australian Open last month and Konta, a 17-year-old, reached her first final of this magnitude. Intriguingly, the pair may be British team-mates one day soon.

Konta is three-and-a-half years into a five-year process which would guarantee her indefinite leave to remain in Britain, for which she qualifies through EU citizenship. This is followed by a 12-month naturalisation process after which she can apply for a British passport and thereby represent Great Britain. Konta is currently funded by the Lawn Tennis Association and trains regularly at the NTC in Roehampton, south west London. In two-and-a-half years, therefore, she could well be available to represent her "new" country in the Fed Cup.
    The waiting time is up - and this is a lady to watch ...... 8 titles to her name already.

Here's a piccy so you can recognise her!

See Steven's GB top 25 ladies chart here to see how Johanna now slots into the GB Ladies Rankings.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (31-05-2012), david1610 (30-06-2012), Helen40 (30-06-2012), JAMES4578 (31-05-2012), Jan (31-05-2012), RoastLamb (31-05-2012)

Re: Johanna Konta

Welcome. Been following her for some time.

Excellent!

Didn't realise that her process had taken so long, and it was to do with politics not the will to do it, so thanks to to Sally for the info. Should be an interesting battle between her and Noami.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen40 View Post
    Didn't realise that her process had taken so long, and it was to do with politics not the will to do it, so thanks to to Sally for the info. Should be an interesting battle between her and Noami.
    Thanks but I was alerted to all the information by Steven's excellent thread on the BT.net forum where they've been following the progress of Johanna for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallydaisy View Post
    Thanks but I was alerted to all the information by Steven's excellent thread on the BT.net forum where they've been following the progress of Johanna for some time now.
    Haven't seen that forum, will go and look. So are most of you on multiple forums?

Durr, ignore that I'm being thick.
    Last edited by Helen40; 30-06-2012 at 01:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen40 View Post
    Haven't seen that forum, will go and look. So are most of you on multiple forums?

Durr, ignore that I'm being thick.
    Umm, you're a member on BT.net ...

Here is the original thread on there and the follow-up from this year on which you've posted.
    There's also her twitter account , some lengthy posts on tennisforum and information on wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallydaisy View Post
    Umm, you're a member on BT.net ...

Here is the original thread on there and the follow-up from this year on which you've posted.
    There's also her twitter account , some lengthy posts on tennisforum and information on wikipedia.
    That's why I edited to added the last line to my post

I thought as I've only recently learnt that there are lots of tennis boards out there doing BOTB that this was one run by BT.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Helen40 For This Useful Post:

Sallydaisy (30-06-2012)

Re: US OPEN (Grand Slam), 27/8-9/9 2012: Main discussion thread - Mens events

I know this is the men's thread but who is Johanna Konta - never heard of her till now and she is through to the main draw. Well done the girls - come on the men, where are you???????

Re: US OPEN (Grand Slam), 27/8-9/9 2012: Main discussion thread - Mens events

Quote Originally Posted by scrapaddict View Post
    I know this is the men's thread but who is Johanna Konta - never heard of her till now and she is through to the main draw. Well done the girls - come on the men, where are you???????
    Moved your post to JoKo's thread so you can read all about her!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

scrapaddict (25-08-2012)