Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 246 of 264 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2631

Thread: Johanna Konta

Re: Johanna Konta

Painful to watch. Didn't wait for interview but having a go at the press is not the best thing. Thick skin is needed in this game. Obviously not her surface but she lost the match. Would have been better to keep a dignified silence however much she was annoyed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Caro (29-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    Absolutely fantastic, sock it to them Jo She, like Andy, is a very polite and reasonable person, but everyone has their limits and the press just push and push. I hope Andy unleashes in similar fashion to the press who have been on his back (and his family's) during his break with injury.
    I hope he doesnt and is his usual dignified self. The press is what it is, doing a job and some journalists have been sympathetic even when trying to guess what's going on. Lack of information is frustrating for all, press and fans. We have a free press and when people try to muzzle it as has been tried in this country then we are on a slippery slope.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Alis (29-05-2018), clancy (28-05-2018), Josephine (28-05-2018)

That is what Andy did in Australia Open in 2006 when he lost first round. At that point he lashed out and blamed the press but he was only 18 and he realised in time that it didn't help his cause to do that. And over time many of the tennis journalists became more like friends and supporters. OK he maybe didn't know what he was doing, but these were the people he was waving his fists in triumph at after winning Wimbledon 2013 - and the journalists did the same back according to Neil Harman.

Andy has had a fairly good press in recent years from tennis journalists, though I will never forgive the other journalists who tore him to shreds after the ABE comment as they basically invented a myth about him and filled it with lies. Talk about fake news that people believed for years! I believe one truly nasty specimen was Tony Parsons. I also remember reading a horrible article by Simon Hattenstone in the Guardian. But that was many years ago and Andy proved them all wrong.

As for Andy's current situation, Andy knows the score by now even though I'm sure it annoys him sometimes. The information on more recent slowdown in his recovery came from inside his camp - therefore was probably authorised by Andy himself or his PR person who would be advising Andy how to deal with the press.

Also re Jo - tennis journalists have a job - what are they meant to say? She has a terrible record at RG and from what I saw was playing wildly and commies said her opponent didn't even need to play well to win! all tennis players have to learn to rise above pressure of all sorts, as Andy most memorably did.

And a sports journalist who performed poorly would be sacked and told to leave same day in many cases! They have to prove themselves too.
    Last edited by Josephine; 28-05-2018 at 10:09.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Josephine For This Useful Post:

Alis (29-05-2018), anor (28-05-2018), Caro (29-05-2018), clancy (28-05-2018), karanga (14-06-2018), supergran (28-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by supergran View Post
    I hope he doesnt and is his usual dignified self. The press is what it is, doing a job and some journalists have been sympathetic even when trying to guess what's going on. Lack of information is frustrating for all, press and fans. We have a free press and when people try to muzzle it as has been tried in this country then we are on a slippery slope.
    Nobody is suggesting muzzling the press. But when the press, who don't really know any detail about Andy's injury, write articles* stating that Andy himself is to blame for it, then personally I'd love to see this type put in their place and Andy would be well within his rights to do so - we do have a free press, but as proper extension equally we have the right of reply.

*I can only find an article with a tour pro blaming Andy, but there was a lengthy piece in The Times fully agreeing with and elaborating on the sentiment, and I'll post that too if I can find it:
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/tenni...-pro-1-4654370

Well that is an article with a player giving his opinion - (I can't read it as not registered). Which is free speech. And someone else can disagree which is also free speech. And a free press.

It could be argued that Andy's very physical style of play contributed to this injury. I wouldn't make that argument but some might. I certainly wish he had developed his forehand sooner (only really developed full force once Lendl came on board). He could certainly have beaten Nadal in their epic encounter at the O2 in the semi-final in 2010 if he had had a stronger forehand then.
    Last edited by Josephine; 28-05-2018 at 11:50.

I know people aren't muzzling the press on here or in the tennis world but my remark was aimed at those who try to stop journalists doing their job and take offence at negative reports, even when justified. We all know the culprits but for JoKo to have a go because of her first round loss was ill advised.I'm well aware of how Andy has suffered at the hands of the press and how he and his team have dealt with it. I have felt angry enough in the past to e-mail certain journalists who have written spiteful columns about him. My point is that it's their job to comment on players' performances and as far as I can see this is what Konta was angry about. I didn't mention Andy and just said no information is frustrating. I'm entitled to my opinion re Konta so don't need links regarding Andy.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

angiebabez (28-05-2018), clancy (28-05-2018)

I know people aren't muzzling the press on here or in the tennis world but my remark was aimed at those who try to stop journalists doing their job and take offence at negative reports, even when justified. We all know the culprits but for JoKo to have a go because of her first round loss was ill advised.I'm well aware of how Andy has suffered at the hands of the press and how he and his team have dealt with it. I have felt angry enough in the past to e-mail certain journalists who have written spiteful columns about him. My point is that it's their job to comment on players' performances and as far as I can see this is what Konta was angry about. I didn't mention Andy and just said no information is frustrating. I'm entitled to my opinion re Konta so don't need links regarding Andy.
    Sorry, took the he/his in your opening sentence to mean Andy not Jo, so read and replied in that context. But yes, this is Jo's thread so should be about her.

ps, Josephine, just seen you can't access article, not about Andy's play rather claims mismanagement of injury. Includes statements such as ‘if only he spent a little more time doing the right kind of mobility and corrective exercises, it could’ve all been avoided’. Anyway, back to Jo.
    Last edited by RosieBear; 28-05-2018 at 13:03.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Josephine (28-05-2018)

Johanna into quarters of Nottingham, pity at expense of Heather but was marginally favouring her in this one. Windy conditions but overall fairly impressive in circumstances of tricky encounter for both. Took first set 6-4 and 2nd on breaker (having been down break earlier in the set).
    Last edited by JAMES4578; 14-06-2018 at 19:57.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

anor (14-06-2018), karanga (14-06-2018)

Jo wins the second set 6 - 3, after dropping the first set. It's 1 - 1 in the third set.

Jo loses the final to Ashleigh Barty 3 - 6, 6 - 3, 4 - 6.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stell For This Useful Post:

karanga (19-06-2018)