Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jonny Marray

Re: Jonny Marray

this from the Guardian
    a very long feature but rather good; at the end he says he had a text from andy on sat night.
    clipping - "Has he heard from Andy Murray since he won? Oh yes, he says, he gets on well with the whole Murray clan he, Andy, Jamie and their dad play together in an annual football match. "Yeah, he gave me a text on the Saturday evening."
    and he went to the champions ball, took his bro, and they chatted to Federer - "What did Federer say to him? "He said, 'Brilliant match lads, congratulations.'" What! Federer called him and Freddie lads, I don't believe that. "Well, probably not lads, ha ha! He said, 'It looks like I'll be seeing a lot more of you this next year.' That was a nice touch. He says all the right things it made us feel pretty good." that's FedX, even off duty!
    Last edited by harriet; 13-07-2012 at 21:02.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to harriet For This Useful Post:

Helen40 (13-07-2012)

DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis

Heartily recommend an interview with Jonny Marray in today's Sunday Times by David Walsh. Puts his lifestyle and achievement in perspective.
    A few funny lines in there. Marray: 'I mean, who would want to sponsor me?'. Most he's had are free contact lenses from the local opticians.
    Marray also reveals in Sunday Times interview that he had to track down a pair of grass court shoes at a sports shop for Wimbledon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (18-07-2012)

There's a great piece in The Times about Jonny Marray and his brilliant year.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/...cle3626152.ece
    Unfortunately, you need to pay to view but here's a couple of extracts.

it really highlights how the doubles players swop partners!

Here's hoping Jonny has a great year in 2013.

This takes careful following
    Jonny started the year by splitting up with Jamie (Delgado), decided to play with Dustin, had the odd match with (another) Jamie(Murray), then partnered Olivier(Marach), thought about playing with Adil but decided it would be better with Freddie, but had an arrangement to play another tournament with Dom first, had a fantastic fortnight with Freddie who then wanted to play on his own, tried out with Ross and then Treat, went back to Freddie and will start next year with Andre.

Such is the world of doubles tennis, where only blood brothers such as Bob and Mike Bryan, the twins from the United States, or a couple of decent players who speak a language no one else speaks, la Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski, from Poland, tend to stick together for more than a year. Everyone else bickers, falls out, falls back in, envies someone else’s partner and plays the tennis brand of the do-si-do.

So Marray and Delgado split and Marray teamed up with Dustin Brown, the dreadlocked German, who tweeted that together they had formed the team Milk Chocolate. “Dustin is a bit of a character who loves to be the centre of attention,” Marray said. “We played from February to April, reached the final of three Challengers and I was feeling good in myself. But he decided to play grass with someone ranked higher [Oliver Marach, of Austria], which gave them a chance of being seeded in certain events. I was in a bit of limbo and that’s when I was in touch with Freddie. I could have easily played Wimbledon with Dustin.”

Actually, Marray might also have partnered Adil Shamasdin, the Canadian, but was worried their rankings were not good enough for automatic entry into the main draw. He entered the first of two Nottingham events with Nielsen and they won their opening match 6-1, 6-1 with Nielsen playing “lights out tennis” according to Marray before losing in the final to Dominic Inglot, a Briton, and Trey Huey, of the Philippines.

A couple of weeks earlier, Marray had sought a wild card into Queen’s with Inglot but had been refused, so decided to partner his fellow Briton in the second week of Nottingham and Eastbourne, knowing that Inglot was playing Wimbledon with Huey. When Marray learnt that he might receive a wild card into the main draw at Wimbledon, he chose to team up with Nielsen. Are you with me?
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (12-12-2012), RoastLamb (11-12-2012), supergran (20-02-2013)

Jonny Marray hoping to play for Davis Cup. Pity he's not a singles player! http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/new...Davis-Cup-team

Yes - it will be difficult to find a place in the team for him when we already have a very successful established doubles pair.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hfwardhouse For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (15-12-2012), JAMES4578 (16-12-2012), Jan (15-12-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by hfwardhouse View Post
    You can totally tell Matt wrote this article.
    Andy. Rafa. Milos. What's not to like?

Yes, fab article!

Bad news for Jonny Marray!

Mike Dickson ‏@Mike_Dickson_DM Wimbledon dubs champion Jonny Marray out for at least 4 weeks with calf injury,
    possibly impacts Davis Cup at Cov in April.
    DC is now only 6 weeks away ...
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

greatunclebulgaria (19-02-2013), JAMES4578 (19-02-2013), lynne (19-02-2013)

drat, really bad news, was really hoping he could kick on this year and possibly make the O2 again poss with Colin