Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: ATP general thread

Re: ATP general thread

Glad Gimelstob is gone. Never liked him.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

Alis (03-05-2019), anor (03-05-2019)

THere was a letter from Wawrinka in the Times today. An article about it https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/s...imes-f9qsnxjb8 quotes

“I feel compelled to express my views on this regrettable period in our sport,” Wawrinka wrote. “This episode has left many players, myself included, concerned about the direction tennis is heading in.”

Wawrinka, 34, believes that Gimelstob should not have continued with his administrative duties when charged in December. Despite taking a leave of absence from his commentary work for the Tennis Channel, an American cable network, Gimelstob remained at the ATP as a player representative. The board voted against removing him. Gimelstob then played a key role in ousting Chris Kermode, the ATP’s executive chairman and president. In March, Gimelstob voted with fellow player representatives David Egdes and Alex Inglot against renewing Kermode’s contract at the end of the year.

The decision to end Kermode’s reign has baffled many players as, under his stewardship since 2014, the tour has experienced record prize money and commercial growth. Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal voiced their concerns about a lack of consultation from Novak Djokovic, who as president of the player council was an ally of Gimelstob in the plot to remove Kermode.

It does not sit well with Wawrinka that Gimelstob continued pulling strings while facing a judicial process for assaulting Randall Kaplan, a former friend, last Hallowe’en. Kaplan alleged that he was punched in the head and face more than 50 times. His wife Madison claimed that trauma suffered as a result of witnessing the attack caused her to suffer a miscarriage.

“There is no place in our sport for those who behave like Justin,” Wawrinka wrote. “The lack of responses from people involved in the game, particularly at the beginning of this saga, when he was charged last December, was alarming. This is a situation where silence amounts to complicity.”

The controversy has exposed troubling conflicts of interest in tennis. Likely to come under further scrutiny is the influence of IMG, an agency that manages players and tournaments, yet has a seat on the board through its senior vice president, Gavin Forbes.
    A quote from his letter

Many players feel that they were not represented properly throughout the last few months, during which so much has happened politically. I agree with them. I do not want to be associated with anyone who played a part in this, let alone be represented by them. I want to be represented by people with clear, strong ethical values.

Some people feel that the governance structure of the ATP does not work, that it’s too cumbersome, impossible to represent both players and tournaments. But I fundamentally believe in this system. The fault lies not in the structure, but in the calibre of people within it. There are numerous conflicts of interest to address throughout the whole sport.

Tennis is a selfish sport. Inherently people are too concerned with their own interests. This inevitably causes difficulties in the management of the tour, which have escalated in recent months.

At the end of last year, we saw record results for the ATP and men’s tennis. Now look at us. This political chaos is caused by a handful of people with personal agendas and, more disturbingly, with no alternative plan to follow up on their concerted plot to remove Chris Kermode, the executive chairman and president, earlier this year.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-05-2019), anor (04-05-2019), karanga (06-05-2019), RoastLamb (06-05-2019), WimbledonWestie (07-05-2019)

Good for Stan the Man!!!
    Andy. Rafa. Milos. What's not to like?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RoastLamb For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-05-2019)

Well said that man!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WimbledonWestie For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-05-2019)

Challenger Circuit

Interesting that GB, with Andy's Protected Ranking of 2, is at number 3 in the new ATP Cup Standings list (provisional) for January in Australia.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to exislander For This Useful Post:

anor (21-05-2019), cazza99 (21-05-2019), karanga (22-05-2019)

In sadness that I might never see Andy play again

Today was the induction of 3 former Champions to the Tennis Hall of Fame.
    One being Yevgeny Kafelnikov - who I would not have recognised from this photo!!!
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

anor (21-07-2019), cazza99 (21-07-2019), exislander (21-07-2019), Jane (22-07-2019), RoastLamb (23-07-2019)

Gosh, I wouldn't have recognised him either. He has put on weight on his face.

Not just his face that has put on weight. https://www.atptour.com/en/news/kafe...y-newport-2019

I remember the match when Tim Henman beat Kafelnikov at Wimbledon after Kafelnikov had won the French Open.

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by cazza99 View Post
    I remember the match when Tim Henman beat Kafelnikov at Wimbledon after Kafelnikov had won the French Open.
    I was on centre court for that match ... I remember it really well. I was with a friend who sadly is no longer with us. We were having a pimms outside cc next to the champagne bar when a chap came over, asked us if we had show court tickets and when when we said we didn't, he gave us 2 tickets and that was the match we saw!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (30-07-2019), RoastLamb (30-07-2019)

Having trouble with the ATP site today - the ProTennis Live app does not work, and when I go to "Print Schedule" for tomorrow it brings up the schedule for Sat. 5th October!! Anybody else having problems?
    Last edited by Jane; 07-10-2019 at 14:56.