Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun in the Sun: Davis Cup, Croatia.

Re: Fun in the Sun: Davis Cup, Croatia.

We went back to the Sol Umag in a minibus that was waiting outside. We were joined by another couple from the reception and the woman kept saying that the taxi was paid for. Her husband and I kept insisting that we had to pay. When arrived at our hotel they walked off as the driver said 100 kuna please. They were nearly through the door when I shouted them back. "50 kuna please" I said and believe it or not she said "But isn't it paid for?" Her husband paid me and we went to our room. The room was very nice, quite spacious with a large window that opened onto a balcony which had a table and two chairs. Our balcony overlooked the front of the hotel but the rooms at the back must have been really lovely overlooking the terraces and the bay. We then went into the dining room where we found our group already seated, wine on the table and everyone looking very relaxed. We met our waiter who was wearing his name badge - Ivan. He told us his name was Eyevan not Eevan; so that was us told as we had been addressing him as Eevan. He looked to be in his 60s but one can never tell these days. I mean look at Cliff Richard, he's almost 73 and there's Harry Goodman, the actor who is 10 years younger than Cliff...I mean you really can't tell these days. He was comical and was prone to pour wine into anyone's glass regardless of whether they wanted it or not. He would also share someone's bottle with anyone. The food was interesting..not cordon blue nor fast food but somewhere in between..edible but not inspired. The salads were nice.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Caro (25-09-2013), cazza99 (25-09-2013), hfwardhouse (25-09-2013), jeannie13 (02-10-2013), karanga (26-09-2013), lynne (24-09-2013), pabbers (25-09-2013), traveller7 (25-09-2013), xenon21 (26-09-2013)

We enjoyed a convivial meal and I took some photographs to mark our first evening in the Sol Umag and one by one people went off to bed. It had been a very long day,travelling for most of it and fatigue was very evident. Except for three people...Can you guess who bought a second bottle of wine? Dear reader, you guessed correctly. So then we were three: Alan, Susan and I were still at the table although Alan was drinking beer. We took our drinks outside and it was very lively. Tables covered in white linen as were the chair backs and people being served dinner. The lamps were lit, candles on the tables and music and a vocalist entertaining the quite large party. Then my old, tired husband went to bed uttering those well-worn words "Don't be late." Bless him. He knows me too well. Susan and I had a lovely time. I remember we laughed a lot!She is very knowledgeable about tennis and has a very good memory. We talked and laughed until we noticed that it was after 1 am so decided to go to bed. We were getting up early and going to the Stella Maris Centre around 10.30 to watch practice. And so the long day came to a happy if slightly squiffy end. We looked forward to Friday and the beginning of the very important Davis Cup Tie.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Caro (25-09-2013), cazza99 (25-09-2013), Elizabeth (25-09-2013), Genbrit (24-09-2013), hfwardhouse (25-09-2013), jeannie13 (02-10-2013), karanga (25-09-2013), lynne (24-09-2013), pabbers (25-09-2013), traveller7 (25-09-2013)

Just brilliant!!!
    "Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"

Thanks SG - looking forward to hearing about Friday!

I'd worked out when you mentioned Alan on another thread that it must be SuperGramps, but who is Susan?

Every time I read 'Stella Maris Centre' it makes me think of Walsingham where there is a building of the same name (it means 'Star of the Sea' and is one of the many titles given to the Virgin Mary).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

supergran (25-09-2013)

Challenger Circuit

Yes, I was just thinking to myself "who's Susan?". I was also thinking to myself that 1am was early for you Mo! I'm looking forward to the next episode, it's my daily lunchtime treat at work
    Last edited by Caro; 25-09-2013 at 13:00.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

supergran (25-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Thanks SG - looking forward to hearing about Friday!

I'd worked out when you mentioned Alan on another thread that it must be SuperGramps, but who is Susan?

Every time I read 'Stella Maris Centre' it makes me think of Walsingham where there is a building of the same name (it means 'Star of the Sea' and is one of the many titles given to the Virgin Mary).
    Well, of course I know it is a title of Our Lady and means Star of the Sea but you have jumped the gun. All would have been explained when we got there.

The next part could be entitled "Who's Susan?". Some of you need to exercise a little patience. All will be revealed as the story unfolds.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Caro (27-09-2013), cazza99 (25-09-2013)

If you had read my daily reports from Umag you would know who Susan was!!!
    Pat

14. The Following User Says Thank You to patmoren For This Useful Post:

jaysee (26-09-2013)

Sorry Pat, I was in Spain at the time - what thread were those reports on?

Friday: Singles: Woke up to a lovely sunny morning. Had breakfast quite early and arranged to meet and walk to the tennis centre about 9.30 or just after. Susan who is Howdie65 on the forum, a new member who booked the package rather last minute had earlier walked there and back so was able to tell us that it was a short and pleasant stroll and to show us a short cut.The entrance we used was not the main one but was quite near the practice courts. As we walked on I noticed a statue of Our Lady, Star of the Sea and pointed it out to Alan. It's unusual to see such things at a tennis club but it didn't surprise me as the name Stella Maris means Star of the Sea and is a title of the mother of Jesus. The next thing I noticed was a bar surrounded by tables and stools and a seating area under shade complete with comfortable looking seats. When we got to a practice court we saw Colin and Jonny practising and we all called out "Good morning" Colin gave us a little wave. We watched then for a while and then moved on. Pat had to give out the tickets which were laminated with lanyards, Quite posh really though I was very disappointed that we could only access Centre Court and not the Players facilities!! As play started at 11 am three of us went for a refreshing drink before making our way to our entrance and seats. After the ceremony which we watched from a walkway we made our way down to Row 5. Absolutely fantastic seats behind the umpire and the team. We were so close. Suddenly I spotted Ross looking very dapper in a suit to I rushed down, shook his hand and said how lovely it was to see him. He grinned and asked me how I was. I said never mind me, how are you, you look wonderful. He said he felt well and I let go of his hand and went back to my seat.
    Last edited by supergran; 25-09-2013 at 16:40.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Caro (27-09-2013), cazza99 (25-09-2013), hfwardhouse (25-09-2013), jeannie13 (02-10-2013), karanga (26-09-2013), lynne (25-09-2013), pabbers (25-09-2013), traveller7 (25-09-2013), xenon21 (26-09-2013)