Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016

Thread: Mission accomplished: DC Final. WARNING: People of a jealous nature may not wish to read this

Mission accomplished: DC Final. WARNING: People of a jealous nature may not wish to read this

Posted by supergran

Quote Originally Posted by supergran
    Before leaving for Ghent I told supergramps that my mission was to try and get photographs of the whole team. I especially wanted one of both Andy and Jamie with me to add to my memorabilia table. He was unsure how I would achieve this but I was on a mission and quietly determined to find a way. The first bit of good news was that their hotel was just around the corner from ours so I had to work out my strategy as I was pretty sure that this trip would provide the best chance. thumbup: After Andy's fantastic win to secure the Davis Cup it was celebration time, first in the British Pub then in the lovely fanzone. It was a fantastic evening, watching the winning lob over and over again, enjoying more drinks and dancing and singing along with great tennis friends. I was also privileged to experience what a true Scotsman actually has under his kilt. Cheers Gordy!! It was quite late when Howdie, supergramps and I went to the restaurant across the road to have dinner. We hadn't managed to eat on Saturday night so made sure we were in time on Sunday. When we came out there were groups of forumers standing outside the Belfort planning where to go. We chatted, took photographs and waited for taxis. We said our goodbyes and we were quickly in a taxi going back to the Hotel de Flandre where we then changed into smart clothes. I think it was about 11.45 when we started the short walk to the other hotel. The only blot on the landscape was that it was raining and my hair detests rain and so I knew I wouldn't look my absolute best for these all important photographs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynne
    Oh! I love Maureen's blogs...she really knows how to write a story!....excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by WimbledonWestie
    I am very jealous- but I shall read on.... And not let you out of my sight in Birmingham!
    Last edited by KnightOwl; 25-07-2016 at 17:37.

Re: Mission accomplished: DC Final. WARNING: People of a jealous nature may not wish to read this

Next batch:

We made our way to the bar and had wine and a coffee for supergramps who could hardly keep his eyes open. The off-duty concierge joined us at our table and amused us with stories of the famous people he'd met and told us that Andy had presented him with a t-shirt. We weren't sure we were going to see the team and as we strolled out of the bar Howdie spotted Leon. He was chatting to a couple so I quickly walked around them so that I was in front of him whereupon he looked at me, smiled and said hello. The couple moved away and I shook his hand, congratulated him and handed him a card telling him it was a congratulations card. "You were quick", he said and I told him I'd brought it from home. He commented that I was also confident and positive. I had a photograph taken and then asked him about the team. He told us they were in the room just off the bar and to go and say hello. So, leaving supergramps on a chair we went to the door which was open and guarded by two burly security men. They barred our way with their arms, not touching me and very polite. I told them that Leon had said we could come and speak to the boys but they said it was a private party and couldn't come in. Now I'm not sure who used the word "vouch" but I do remember saying that Andy would vouch for me. I could see Andy sitting next to Wardy and they could see me. I called out "Andy, you know me, don't you?" and he grinned and said Yeah. Then I said the same to James and he said what he always says "You're supergran from twitter" "Can I come in then" and Andy said yes, nodded at the security and we were in.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynne
    You're incorrigible Maureen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Genbrit
    Ha!! Ha!! Just love your blogs. This is fantastic, as exciting as the weekend and believe me that was EXCITING!!!! Can't wait for more!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennan
    Thanks SG. Always look forward to your blogs, so entertaining and detailed. Makes up for not being there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro
    Loving this ... puts our Evo party in the shade .... although judging by what i saw of Evo in party mode, I can't imagine he is ever in the shade
    Quote Originally Posted by rimarli
    Love it. Supergran!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfish
    Supergran - it was lovely to chat to you in the restaurant on Sunday and to read about what happened next. Think we'll be shadowing you on our next trip in Birmingham.

Re: Mission accomplished: DC Final. WARNING: People of a jealous nature may not wish to read this

More comments:

Quote Originally Posted by cazza99
    Love it but are we going to find out what happens nex
    You are but not until later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind
    this is a must read! Looking forward to the next episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetennis
    Absolutely brilliant Supergran, can't wait for the next installment
    Quote Originally Posted by cazza99
    Supergran always does this with her blogs - keeps us in suspenders
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG
    Tremedous stuff

Next instalment...

The room seemed fairly crowded and the low tables were full of champagne bottles. People, mostly men were standing and sitting around the room which wasn't large. The atmosphere was relaxed and you could sense the happiness and good humour. Like an arrow I made straight for Andy and Wardy who were on the right hand side near the corner. Andy was the only one in t-shirt and jogging pants, all the others were dressed smartly in their suits though ties had been discarded. I spoke to Andy who seemed very amused by James calling me supergran and he kept repeating it giggling. It is obvious that he doesn't drink much as he seemed very relaxed and giggly. He also looked very young and boyish. I congratulated him then said that I would really love a photograph with him and Jamie whereupon he said that was fine and told me to get Jamie over. I turned around and started walking towards Jamie who was approaching me smiling. "Hello Maureen" he said and held out his hand. Offering congratulations I hugged him and explained about the photograph.
    Quote Originally Posted by julie g
    Ah Maureen this is such a great story and I'm so happy for you. I would like to say you have much more staying power than me lol xx
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetennis
    Ahhhh brilliant so is the photo coming up in the next installment

And another:

Now this is where everything seems a bit hazy. Not my memory of what happened but in what order and I had no idea what Susan was doing. She must have been chatting though I'm not sure to whom and where exactly she was as selfishly I was intent on fulfilling my dream! I'm sure she can tell you! Andy stood up and joined Jamie and me. I got in the middle and both Jamie and Andy put their arms around me and I did the same. I think Wardy took the pictures, I know there was more than one as there was much hilarity at the first attempt. Then I had a photograph with James which Andy took again with much laughter as Andy wasn't sure how to use the camera. I was aware of the boys calling me gran and when Andy said it I mentioned that we were in the same hotel as his gran and grandpa, he said he knew as his mum had told him! I remember Andy asking if I'd got a selfy and telling him that I'd had to go to the loo and there had been a long queue. I also have a recollection of saying that I hoped I wasn't babbling as I'd been celebrating and had a lot to drink. Couldn't believe it when he asked what I'd had so I told him lots of wine! That seemed to amuse him more.

I've been trawling various web-caches trying to recover lost threads - I managed to find some of your blog Maureen, but just the first few pages

If you kept your own backups, you could always post them again?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KnightOwl For This Useful Post:

anor (25-07-2016)

Challenger Circuit

Absolutely brilliant!