Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to watch tennis on TV

Ways to watch tennis on TV

Page 1: 31/07/2015 to 21/12/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa
    Not sure where to put this, but it's about TV so this will do.

I have been watching non Sky tennis matches through Bet365.com live streaming for ages, but the screen size is really too small to view comfortably. Now I have just got one of those Amazon Fire Stick things, and have discovered I can view the matches full size on my TV via my tablet. Might be useful for folks without Sky, or to watch the matches Sky don't screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cazza99
    for the information Teresa. I thought this deserved its own thread in the tennis area of the forum. It may be useful for people to compare notes with other devices too.

I have found that now I have an HD laptop I can view much larger picture on my TV when connecting my laptop via the HD cable. When I used the VGA lead it was much smaller.
    I'd be really interested in knowing if there any alernatives to the amazon fire stick which have ethernet as I prefer to use ethernet rather than wifi. Does anyone know of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by stell
    I've read the BBC will be terminating their contract with Formula One a lot earlier than expected. It's now going to be shown on ITV. Why can't ITV say "we've agreed to show the Australian open finals instead of the BBC". Why would they want to show a bunch of fat cats (as my dad calls them) driving around aircuit for two or three hours, instead of showing the tennis?
    Coverage of the French Open by ITV has been superb, so I do hope ITV consider it for the future. Mind you Eurosport has exclusive rights so it would also be up to Eurosport to allow them. Maybe we should all write to ITV to ask them.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMS77
    I've read the BBC will be terminating their contract with Formula One a lot earlier than expected. It's now going to be shown on ITV. Why can't ITV say "we've agreed to show the Australian open finals instead of the BBC". Why would they want to show a bunch of fat cats (as my dad calls them) driving around aircuit for two or three hours, instead of showing the tennis?
    As a huge F1 fan I am going to have to disagree with you there.
    It's been confirmed, by the BBC, next year's F1 will be the last one. It'll then be shown on Channel 4 from 2017. Don't understand why no other channel, apart from the two obvious ones, want to show the Aussie open.
    Quote Originally Posted by themass15
    Eurosport Player is very reasonable so you don't have to sign up for Sky who only show the US Open of the 4 Slams.
    I'm going a bit off topic but yes the BBC have lost the F1 rights to Channel 4 from next year (Not from 2017) but it doesn't really affect me as I have Sky Sports F1.

Back to the tennis, I do think it would have been better if ITV or another FTA broadcaster had at least taken the finals of the Aussie Open but I think the timezones puts pretty much all other broadcasters off trying to really get any of the coverage. Plus Eurosport do a great job in covering the Aussie Open and you can get Eurosport Player for just 5 for the month where you can watch absolutely everything.
    Also most sports do tend to be heading towards pay tv now so I think we will be fairly lucky if anything more than Wimbledon (in terms of tennis) stays on FTA in the next few years. The only other properly protected events, at least at the moment are the World Cup and the Euro's plus some of the Olympics coverage.
    (Still can't find page 2 - not given up!)
    Last edited by KnightOwl; 28-07-2016 at 23:14.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KnightOwl For This Useful Post:

Master Yorkie (29-07-2016)

Re: Ways to watch tennis on TV (by Teresa)

Page 3: 22/12/2015 to 27/12/2015

I've sent Channel 4 an email asking them if they would ever consider showing the Aussie Open, as they took the horse racing and F1 away from the BBC. Channel
    4's reply is 'we'll contact, hopefully, contact you within the next 24 hours'. I never did receive a reply to my complaint, which I sent to the BBC.
    Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 could be bothered to answer my query. They thanked me for my question and told me they don't have plans, at the moment, to show the Aussie Open but have forward it to the people behind their programming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al
    I used to subscribe to Eurosport player all year, its only about 4 pounds a month and you get multi court coverage and good commentary. I think you can take it out for one month . Better than the BBC coverage IMO . I also have Sky and Tennistv , so can
    watch tennis(and golf) pretty much every day of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe
    Can Eurosport Player be watched on a smart TV? It's now 4.99 a month if you take it for the whole year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al
    Can Eurosport Player be watched on a smart TV? It's now 4.99 a month if you take it for the whole year.
    I have a smart TV but it cant watch it directly . I can only watch Eurosport or tennistv by screen mirroring from my tablet or phone .

Sounds like Eurosport Player might be expensive to take for just one month ...I can get it as part of my TV package but only in standard definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro
    I really like the sound of just being able to pay for tennis coverage. I have had sky sports for years but I only have it for the months when they have masters and GS coverage, so it goes off in December and back on in time for Indian Wells. I get Eurosport on sky anyway. The grand slams are obviously the most important and the ones I want to watch followed by the masters so tennis TV doesn't really suit me.

I honestly don't have time to watch every tournament anyway and even the masters I often don't get to watch the whole thing, just concentrate on Andy when that happens. I would be divorced if I watched wall to wall tennis all year! I get Eurosport on sky so that's the Aus Open covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by WimbledonWestie
    Sounds like me!
    Quote Originally Posted by greatunclebulgaria
    and me
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephine
    If you are so concerned then watch this and do something about it.

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/ca...hare-the-video

Quote Originally Posted by patmoren
    I have Tennistv and Eurosport subscriptions so miss very little and as there is only me now can watch as much as I like!!!!
    Last edited by KnightOwl; 27-07-2016 at 17:22. Reason: added dates

Page 4: 27/12/2015

Shouldn't the protest be to MPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyB
    I think it's absolutely absurd in this day and age that everyone with a telly is forced to pay towards a service that many don't use. Yes, there is some high quality content as highlighted in the short video above, but most of the good stuff was made years ago, and there is more and more dross shown every year. The sooner the BBC has to raise its own funding the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by harriet
    so adverts on the beeb? i shall have to record everything and wizz thru the ads
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydu
    If you are so concerned then watch this and do something about it.

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/ca...hare-the-video
    state broadcasters can do one as far as I am concerned sooner it dies the better
    My Aussie cousin doesn't understand why we still have to pay for a TV licence, as they got rid of it years ago. I know the BBC would like to have subscriptions, but I would prefer adverts. Firstly, nobody would have to pay the BBC (so they could waste the money on anything they like) and secondly, the adverts might bring in more revenue for them. I usually just turn the sound off or go off and do something else, quickly, during the adverts.
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear
    The BBC is far from perfect, but you only have to watch the dross TV shown in other countries to realise how good we've got it with the BBC. I don't understand the level of resentment over the licence fee - 96% of payers use the beeb at least once a week, and the fee works out at less than 40p a day or 3 a week so it's hardly what you call extortionate compared to other media outlets (although I disagree strongly with the huge salaries given to some of the biggest "stars"). The BBC does generate income through exports, and that's enough as far as I'm concerned and I couldn't stand the thought of adverts, and would hate them most during Wimbledon fortnight - breaking up the matches from SW19 with adverts is unthinkable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabbers
    I endorse everything RB says above. There's some wonderful non dross on the Beeb too.......maybe not of our own making but stuff that other channels wouldn't air because they wouldn't get enough viewers to justify their charges to the advertising revenue payers e.g. all the Scandinavian stuff which has IMHO been fantastic. Never thought Mr P would be bothered to read subtitles........but he did and was gripped by Borgen, The Killings and The Bridge to name but a few. There've been Italian, French and Belgium quality dramas on too. None of them would get space on the commercial channels
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyB
    Therein lies the problem, everyone has to pay towards programmes that relatively few watch. Any resentment I have regarding the licence fee is the fact that it is mandatory even if you never watch any BBC channels. If something similar happened in any other industry the competitions commission would be all over them like a rash.
    Have to agree with RB and Pabbers- I'd hate the BBC to end up like other broadcasters and they are far superior to what I've seen in other countries. They do a good job and I'm happy to pay my licence fee for them to continue.
    The BBC is far from perfect, but you only have to watch the dross TV shown in other countries to realise how good we've got it with the BBC. I don't understand the level of resentment over the licence fee - 96% of payers use the beeb at least once a week, and the fee works out at less than 40p a day or 3 a week so it's hardly what you call extortionate compared to other media outlets (although I disagree strongly with the huge salaries given to some of the biggest "stars"). The BBC does generate income through exports, and that's enough as far as I'm concerned and I couldn't stand the thought of adverts, and would hate them most during Wimbledon fortnight - breaking up the matches from SW19 with adverts is unthinkable to me.
    is extortion if.the same level of service.isn't.provided to all customers, why should I pay to prob up a state broadcaster that.docent.service.my needs.and infact disadvantages certain parts of the country
    Last edited by KnightOwl; 27-07-2016 at 17:21. Reason: added date

Page 5: 27/12/2015 to 10/01/2016

Sorry one last comment as I started this (very sorry). Just to agree with every word by Rosiebear & Pabbers. We pay to watch the ITV too through adverts which cost millions and increase the cost of the goods sold. And we certainly pay more to watch Sky, with very little worth watching apart from the tennis.

The BBC is admired world wide - and we only need to see the joys of US TV to see what purely commercial broadcasting brings.

And I would LOATHE to sit through adverts during Wimbledon - and that's not something I would often be wanting to record and play back, but rather watch live when possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie55
    Not long to go now to the AO, so need help , I would, of course, like to watch and record ALL Andy's matches and a few others on the TV, how can I do this, I have Sky but not sports but to get the sport I need to have it for a month (really annoyed that I didn't get it for January with all the tennis being played). Can someone please tell me what my options are because I would like to be all ready for the start
    Happy New Year Jackie! If you have a smart TV why not take out Eurosport player for a month.
    Same to you Carole, hope you had a good one!! I don't think I have a smart TV, I know that I am being thick...but how would I know
    Quote Originally Posted by angiebabez
    Same to you Carole, hope you had a good one!! I don't think I have a smart TV, I know that I am being thick...but how would I know
    Or do what i did and get eurosport player on your tablet! 4-99 for a month
    Only thing with that though is you cant record. But i think you can watch higjlights on it
    Or do what i did and get eurosport player on your tablet! 4-99 for a month
    I like the cost of that!! but would prefer to watch it on TV and record it just in case I am in bed, asleep....not likely if Andy is playing or at work. How much is it to get Eurosport on the TV, do you have to have it for a month or can you get it weekly ?
    I like the cost of that!! but would prefer to watch it on TV and record it just in case I am in bed, asleep....not likely if Andy is playing or at work. How much is it to get Eurosport on the TV, do you have to have it for a month or can you get it weekly ?
    Not sure on that 1. Doubt u could get it for a week though. We used to have it through sky sports subscription but hubby cancelled it when he got some sort of android box thingy that gives u hundreds of streams to choose from..saving ourselves about 60 quid a month now.
    The Sky Variety pack - http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/variety-bundle/#!Sports-3 is the easiest way to get Eurosport on your TV
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisfan
    I have the standard entertainment package on Sky and only recently realised that Eurosport channels were included. You may already have it on your normal subscription and can check easily if you go to the sports section on your TV guide and try to view the Eurosport channels.

No sign of page 6 - leaving a gap in case I find it later

No sign of page 7 - leaving a gap in case I find it later

No sign of page 8 - leaving a gap in case I find it later

Page 9: 15/01/2016 to 01/02/2016

But surely the BBC advertises all the time! Admittedly it's their own programmes they are advertising, but to me that is still advertising and can be as irritating as the ads on the other channels. They even do it now during the end changes in tennis!
    worse culprits are bbc news, always interviewing actors about upcoming BBC shows
    True of BBC Breakfast, especially in the last half hour
    Personally, I don't mind the BBC promoting their upcoming programmes. Certainly nowhere near as annoying as having betting shops advertised every break when watching tennis on the loathsome Sky (I still can't work out how it's legal to advertise them pre-watershed given the age laws around betting).
    point is no one is forced to pay for sky, where as we are all forced to pay for the "loathsome" BBC
    It annoys me though when the BBC still promote their upcoming programmes even when they have overrun, so programmes often start late. I don't have sky, so no experience of the betting shop ads.
    point is no one is forced to pay for sky, where as we are all forced to pay for the "loathsome" BBC
    Do you watch some, listen and read some stuff on BBC that you're not forced to (Wimbledon?) However little it might be, I'm pretty sure your usage still works out far cheaper per hr than Sky.
    nope still not getting the point I don't want to pay.for the BBC if I had the opportunity I wouldn't
    I get your point - guess I'm just saying that if I was claiming the BBC was completely imposed on me I would refrain from using any services as a matter of principle. But always happy to agree to disagree on this or anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by patmoren
    I am not talking about advertising programmes, it is all the rubbish trying to get people to part with their money. some people are very gullible.
    BBC - Illegal football streams are 'dangerous', study says

Guess this applies to tennis too.

Page 10: 07/02/2016 to 10/03/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Caro
    I have NEVER trusted these streams and was always wary of using them. Would rather pay fir Eurosport / sky and be fine with it tbh.
    Me too. I would be worried as to what else I would be downloading.
    I will be watching on Tennis TV! They show it all. My daughter bought me a sub for a year!
    Can you tell me what the difference is between getting the tennis on Sky, Eurosport and Tennis TV, l am thinking of ordering the tennis for Indian Wells and Miami with Sky later tonight
    Tennis TV sometimes shows the same tournaments as Sky (such as the masters) or Eurosport but also covers more of the smaller ones. Tennis TV does not cover the grand slams.
    just signed up for a months tennis tv, that will cover both Indian Wells and Miami 15 for the month much cheaper and easier to cancel than Sky
    Tennis TV sometimes shows the same tournaments as Sky (such as the masters) or Eurosport but also covers more of the smaller ones. Tennis TV does not cover the grand slams.
    Thanks, out of curiosity l may look into the cost of Tennis TV for Indian Wells, l know that if l order with Sky it will be 25 for the month
    just signed up for a months tennis tv, that will cover both Indian Wells and Miami 15 for the month much cheaper and easier to cancel than Sky
    How did you sign up, online ?
    I got my sky sports from virgin for 20 a month and always really easy to cancel. I cold go for tennis tv but prefer viewing on tv. Actually did OK as guy on phone decided he wanted to review my package- now getting a new TiVo box and upgraded broadband equipment- but my bill is coming down!
    My answer to Grand Slams: Aussie Open: Eurosport Player (6.99 for a month). French Open: ITV4 (free). Wimby: The Beeb (free). US Open: Sky Sports via NowTV (for a month for about 10, cheaper than 2x1weeks).
    Tennis TV will be streaming more doubles this year.
    I got my sky sports from virgin for 20 a month and always really easy to cancel. I cold go for tennis tv but prefer viewing on tv. Actually did OK as guy on phone decided he wanted to review my package- now getting a new TiVo box and upgraded broadband equipment- but my bill is coming down!
    That is good news, so to watch Tennis TV is that on laptop, tablet not the TV, sorry if l am being thick !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KnightOwl For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (27-07-2016)

No sign of pages 11 or 12