Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fragment Archive of Newspaper and Internet reports

Fragment Archive of Newspaper and Internet reports

Here are some of the newspaper and internet reports from the recent past.
    If annyone wants to do any compiling use the following web address (change the page number at the end to get to a previous page)
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...eports/page878
    Note: only some of the pages have been saved using this method - if you hit an error go back and try another number!
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 03-08-2016 at 10:38.
    Go Andy, thanks to all the mods!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Master Yorkie For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (27-07-2016)

Re: Fragment Archive of Newspaper and Internet reports

July 16 #8975
    Quote Originally Posted by cazza99
    5 live - Davis Cup schedule is terrible - John Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by LC the Fan
    Wonder if Andy is really enjoying the rest or busting a gut to get hold of a racquet
    July 15 #8973
    Britwatch Sports - Davis Cup: Edmund beats Tipsarevic and torrential rain

Mail - Andy Murray watches on as Kyle Edmund thrashes Janko Tipsarevic to put Great Britain 1-0 up in wet Belgrade opener

Telegraph - Kyle Edmund gives Great Britain early advantage in Davis Cup tie against Serbia
    BBC - Rio 2016: Kyle Edmund, Colin Fleming & Dominic Inglot added to GB tennis squad

BBC - Davis Cup: Kyle Edmund wins as GB lead Serbia in Belgrade
    ATP - Murray On Champion's Media Tour At Wimbledon
    video

ESPN - Olympic Games bring uncertainty to hard-court season, US Open

Eurosport - Smith keen to have Murray on the sidelines for Davis Cup clash

Sky Sports - Andy Murray happy to support from sidelines in Davis Cup clash

Movienewsguide - Kate Middleton Cheers On Andy Murray In Her £2,300 McQueen Dress, Murray Makes History

Mail - Andy Murray jets into Serbia as cheerleader for Great Britain's Davis Cup quarter-final

Telegraph - Andy Murray ready to play Davis Cup cheerleader for Great Britain

Eurosport - Andy Murray arrives in Belgrade to support Britain's Davis Cup team from the sidelines
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 01-08-2016 at 15:57.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Yorkie For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (27-07-2016), KnightOwl (27-07-2016)

Britwatch Sports - Edmund ready for the Davis Cup No. 1 Challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by jajdu
    thanks cazza couldn't find the transcripts anywhere lol
    They hadn't put them up on the Wimbledon website for some reason. Found them on the ASAP sports site. Sometimes they go up on ASAP before the other wesbsites.
    Quote Originally Posted by LC the Fan
    I certainly think Wimbledon needs to get its act together over a statue. And very quickly. Or perhaps name the new No 1 court after him - its happened in many of the other venues - in fact most of them
    #8967 14th July
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe
    SPOTY maybe, but far too soon for the knighthood.
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller7
    I think its unlikely to happen until he retires to be honest. I don't think he will lose sleep over it,
    Quote Originally Posted by teresa
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiebear
    Sorry, but I just find this so cringe (no offence ) - there is zero doubt that Andy will get a knighthood, but he's a young man, let him finish his career. Imo no way does Andy need anyone petitioning on his behalf, Brucie style.
    I see where you are coming from, and agree that he will get one. I don't think the petition will make much difference. There were only 84 names on it........
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydu
    thanks cazza couldn't find the transcripts anywhere lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa
    Sorry, but I just find this so cringe (no offence ) - there is zero doubt that Andy will get a knighthood, but he's a young man, let him finish his career. Imo no way does Andy need anyone petitioning on his behalf, Brucie style.
    Isn't there some rule that there has to be a certain time elapse from when he got the OBE before he could be knighted.
    It just says a decent interval. I think 3-4 years is a decent interval, (mind you I would have thought 3 months would have been enough if it had been left to me...!!!). Besides Mr Murray's recent stunts are fairly exceptional. I have wondered if Cameron might have put him forward in his resignation honours?

Either way 3 Grand Slams 2 Olympic Medals, 5 Queen's titles and a Davis Cup should be enough. I will be very suprised if he doesn't feel the old sword on the shoulder within the next year.
    Isn't there some rule that there has to be a certain time elapse from when he got the OBE before he could be knighted.
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 01-08-2016 at 15:58.

#8951July 12
    Sky Sports - Marcus Willis rises 354 places in ATP world rankings

#8947 July 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LC the fan
    Hope he enjoys his new jaguar though. So deserved
    Quote Originally Posted by LC the fan
    Totally agree that there just MUST be a statue at Wimbledon. Fred stands alone at the moment, but there are busts (scuse the pun) of all the winning UK ladies.
    Andy won a gold medal there, and now two championships. As an aside he also brought back the Davis cup

Come on AELTC. What more does he have to do ????
    Tennis World - Andy Murray´s Impressive Wimbledon Stat
    However in the final two matches, against Tomas Berdych and Raonic, Murray had a total of combined 21 unforced errors which leaves the exclamation mark over the kind of tennis he is playing at the moment and how marvelous the past few months has been for him.
    BBC - Andy Murray: Wimbledon champion 'triggers second golden period'

CNBC - Andy Murray surprised by Brexit, says time to unite

Herald Scotland - Calls for statue in honour of tennis hero Murray in Dunblane or Wimbledon

Daily Record - Andy Murray treats himself to a wild night on the deuce as Wimbledon champ celebrates in style

Guardian - Andy Murray targeting Novak Djokovic’s No1 spot after Wimbledon glory

Independent - Wimbledon 2016: Andy Murray's fitness guru reveals how he keeps him going

Telegraph - Andy Murray: Fitness trainer Matt Little says Wimbledon champion has reached his 'max'

Sky Sports - LTA vows to capitalise on Andy Murray's Wimbledon win this time around

bbcamerica - WATCH: Benedict Cumberbatch Meets Tennis Champ Andy Murray
    Mail - Ivan Lendl teaches victory, not tennis... he is as much of a counsellor to Andy Murray as a coach but that is exactly what he needs

Telegraph - Andy Murray vs Milos Raonic, Wimbledon 2016 final: reaction and quotes as Andy Murray wins

Indian Express - Andy Murray gets personalised car on Wimbledon win

Wimbledon facebook - https://www.facebook.com/wimbledon/p...922983798732:0
    A second ‪#‎Wimbledon‬ crown AND a personalised car from Jaguar. It's been a good two days for Andy Murray...
    July 11 #8943
    Sky Sports - Andy Murray feels his best is still to come after Wimbledon win

Sky Sports - Andy Murray must keep Ivan Lendl after Wimbledon win, says Barry Cowan

Sky Sports - Andy Murray feels his best is still to come after Wimbledon win
    includes video of Andy with Sky Sports after winning

Sky Sports - Petchey: Amazing achievement by Murray
    video (Dead Link)

Sky Sports
    - Murray: Lendl partnership to continue
    video

Sky Sports - Why Murray cried after Wimbledon win
    video

BBC - Wimbledon 2016: Watch the funniest moments from this year's tournament
    Sky Sports - Andy Murray can target Novak Djokovic after Wimbledon victory
    By Mark Petchey
    "I thought he handled the pressure and the threat from Milos exceptionally well," Petchey told Sky Sports. "He dictated when he could dictate and he made life increasingly uncomfortable I think for Milos. When he went two sets to love up you kind of felt that even if Milos could nick a set here or there, it was definitely going to be Andy's day.

"With Andy it was a case of getting the tactics right which was a huge part of his game plan and keeping that passion burning. You never want to douse the flames in terms of the intensity and I think that's why being with Ivan Lendl has been such a great partnership here at Wimbledon. It gives him that extra stability on the big points.

"Let's not forget Jamie Delgado's contribution in the last few months. Andy has been playing great tennis all season from Australia, he obviously lost a couple of big finals to Novak, but apart from that he's been hitting the ball sensationally well all year.

"He came into the grass-court campaign feeling good and Jamie has done a really good job with him, especially on the clay."
    Barry Cowan has called on Murray to tie down coach Ivan Lendl to a long-term deal, but Petchey says there is no need for a contract and feels if it's not broke, it doesn't need to be fixed.

"From Andy's point of view, having Ivan there in the box when he looks up is a stabilising effect and gives him that extra bit of confidence that he's doing the right things at the right moment and I think that is of incalculable value to Andy in Grand Slam finals," he said.
    BBC - Wimbledon 2016: Andy Murray nerveless against Milos Raonic

BBC - Andy Murray wins Wimbledon - how the world reacted

BBC - Andy Murray: Wimbledon champion can be world number one - Tim Henman
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 01-08-2016 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Josephine
    Looks more like Henman!
    #8921 July 9
    #8912 6th July
    Quote Originally Posted by harriet
    kevin mitchell Gdn on Tsonga game, somewhat excentric
    sample "The vapour trails of Roger Federer’s extraordinary comeback against Marin Cilic were still fresh on Centre Court when Andy Murray fought through the gloaming to survive a brutal five-set examination of his resolve by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for a place in the Wimbledon semi-finals against Tomas Berdych on Friday.
    beeb report on the tsonga outing
    piers newbery, sample ""He (Tsonga) played extremely well. That first set was a tough one for him to lose, and I ran away with the second but he fought right until the end and it was a great match."
    Quote Originally Posted by bardot
    Daily Mail - Andy Murray 'can deal with pressure' of expectation ahead of Wimbledon quarter-final clash with Wilfried Tsonga
    ‘It’s not that I don’t like them (the commentators)’, said Murray. ‘I just don’t like listening to commentary because you get people saying stuff and a lot of them work with players now so they’re also making comments.
    ‘I like Lleyton Hewitt, I like Jim Courier, I like Mark Petchey from the British guys. I quite like listening to Peter Fleming — I think he’s a bit different. I normally like listening to Johnny Mac but I wouldn’t listen to him now that he’s working with another player.’
    That's a long list Andy doesn't like.
    #8908 July 5
    Transcript of Monday's press conference
    Andy Murray talks to the media after his 7-5, 6-1, 6-4 win against Nick Kyrgios
    Nick Kyrgios press conference

Andy said in his previous press conference that journalists were winding Nick up, they're still doing it.
    Q. Do you feel like you're at a crossroads here after this today, it's going to go one way or the other with your career?
    NICK KYRGIOS: What do you mean?

Q. You're either going to learn from this and become a better player, you said you don't love the game, or you might just walk away? Is it that sort of level?
    NICK KYRGIOS: Walk away from what?

Q. From your tennis career.
    NICK KYRGIOS: I just lost in the fourth round. I didn't lose in qualifying. Feel like I'm doing all right (laughter).
    That's a diabolical question.
    Some journalists seem to be equating what Nick is experiencing with how Andy was early in his career. They couldn't be more poles apart other than Andy empathises with how Nick is treated by the press. Does anyone recognise the 21 year old Andy as described in this question?

Q. There were times in Andy's early career where he was cramping up, had difficulty with games, wasn't enjoying it all the time. Is it worth the time speaking with him to make it more fun? It's a tough journey. Seems like you're not enjoying it.
    NICK KYRGIOS: Yeah, I could talk to him about it. Probably not the next couple days, though.
    latest column, pretty anodyne even by andy's standards, piers newbery for the beeb
    Couldn't get your link to work so here it is - http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36708670
    #8906 (I fixed that link)
    latest column, pretty anodyne even by andy's standards, piers newbery for the beeb
    #8905 July 4th
    Quote Originally Posted by ljs
    Quote Originally Posted by piscesperson
    Andy Murray defeats Nick Kyrgios to set up Jo-Wilfried Tsonga quarter-final
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-match-report

Andy Murray eases past Nick Kyrgios in straight sets to reach Wimbledon 2016 quarter-final
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/20...-centre-court/

Andy Murray through to quarter-finals after straight sets victory over Nick Kyrgios
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...-a7119716.html

Andy Murray secures quarter-final place at Wimbledon with straight sets victory against Nick Kyrgios on Centre Court
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...tre-Court.html

Andy Murray beats Nick Kyrgios to reach quarter-finals
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/36708629
    #8903 July 3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by piscesperson
    Wimbledon 2016: Andy Murray defends 'good friend' Nick Kyrgios but rivalry will renew in fourth round on Manic Monday
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...-a7117566.html

(Nick says a lot of lovely things about Andy in the above article.)

Wimbledon: Andy Murray earns straight sets victory over John Millman to reach fourth round
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...-a7115966.html
    Quote Originally Posted by pisces person
    Meet David Spearing, Wimbledon’s senior honorary steward and most beloved cult figure
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/20...ward-and-most/

Wimbledon 2016: Andy Murray and Nick Kyrgios set bromance aside for clash of the generations
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/20...mance-aside-f/

Pat Rafter: Andy Murray faces big test against flamboyant Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/20...oyant-nick-ky/
    'ANDY MURRAY: You guys try and wind him (Nick) up the whole time. Every time he's in here you're trying to wind him up the whole time. It's not really fair on him, to be honest.' Totally agree with Andy there and admire his support of Nick.
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 01-08-2016 at 15:59. Reason: found a load on yahoo

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Yorkie For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (27-07-2016), harriet (28-07-2016)

Re: Fragment Archive of Newspaper and History reports

well thank you very much Master Yorkie, this is the thread I miss most from the 'accident', so it's great to now read the Wimbledon and Davis Cup coverage.
    please confirm that you are a 14 year old geek, as I deduce from your moniker

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harriet For This Useful Post:

Master Yorkie (28-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by harriet View Post
    well thank you very much Master Yorkie, this is the thread I miss most from the 'accident', so it's great to now read the Wimbledon and Davis Cup coverage.
    please confirm that you are a 14 year old geek, as I deduce from your moniker
    Very good! You have the pleasure of talking to a 15 year old geek!
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 01-08-2016 at 16:00.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Master Yorkie For This Useful Post:

harriet (28-07-2016)

ATP Ace!

Thanks Yorkie!

#8890 2 July
    beeb report, piers newbery, on the millman game
    Quote Originally Posted by ljs
    http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/inter...tml#interviews
    #8888 1 July
    Telegraph - Andy Murray: I delete Twitter to shut out abuse in big events like Wimbledon 2016
    Andys interview from today , full of praise for Djoko . Andy is so classy !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephine
    Well the questions are always entirely predictable so he wouldn't need a heads up. Don't think Andy needs a bit of paper to bring out the standard responses.

Think he is probably just checking his phone to stave off total boredom. Following Jamie's match on live score? He has in the past interrupted a press conference to say 'Oh sorry, my brother's just won'
    Does Andy have notes with him in his pressers? He keeps looking down as if he is reading something. I noticed other day he carried a sheet of paper in with him. And this leads to another q...if he has notes does that then mean he has a heads up as to what questions are going to be asked?
    #8884 30th June
    kevin mitchell in the Gdn, on the Lu game
    quote "The foundations of Andy Murray’s renewed partnership with Ivan Lendl look to be settling down like steel rods on a building site, and both of them will be delighted with his second quick win of the week."
    The Players Tribune - Simona Halep: What the (Blank)?
    #8882 29th June
    Quote Originally Posted by supergran
    Quote Originally Posted by pabbers
    Awww what a lovely thing for Andy to say.
    He's just a lovely, generous young man isn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by pabbers
    Awww what a lovely thing for Andy to say.
    Last edited by Master Yorkie; 01-08-2016 at 16:00.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Yorkie For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (28-07-2016), KnightOwl (28-07-2016)

Well done Master Yorkie! This is brilliant!