Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Personality 2016

Sports Personality 2016

The Genting Arena in Birmingham has been chosen to host it on 18th December. Who, apart from Andy Murray and Mo Farah, will be on the shortlist of nominations and who do you think will win it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stell For This Useful Post:

Jan62 (28-07-2016)

Re: Sports Personality 2016

Danny willet for winning masters , froome for TDF exploits Lewis Hamilton if he wins f1 championship again , whoever catches the nation's attention during Olympics, and some broads obvious to meet quotas

Challenger Circuit

I would like Mr M to be the first one to get it 3 times, but I think on balance it's time for someone else to have a turn.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

Alis (30-07-2016)

Too early to pick a winner. Lots of contenders as has been put on above. It would be great for Andy to get it but I think he would need to win either US Open or another Olympic Gold Medal to guarantee getting it. Chris Froome, although worthy, doesn't seem overly popular in the UK when you consider Bradley Wiggins got it after 1 Tour de France win.

ATP Ace!

Quote Originally Posted by themass15 View Post
    Too early to pick a winner. Lots of contenders as has been put on above. It would be great for Andy to get it but I think he would need to win either US Open or another Olympic Gold Medal to guarantee getting it. Chris Froome, although worthy, doesn't seem overly popular in the UK when you consider Bradley Wiggins got it after 1 Tour de France win.
    I agree but Wiggins had also won Olympic gold and, for some reason that I don't quite understand, is hugely popular. I can't see Andy winning it two years in a row quite honestly, however well deserved, especially when there are bound to be outstanding Olympic performances to consider.

I think that Mo deserves a look in. He has never done very well despite his great wins. However, I think a lot will depend on the Olympics... perhaps Andy will get three golds (and Mo only 2 !)

Chris Froome is pretty outstanding imo (and he's conveniently losing his Kenyan accent so more in with a chance probably.)

I think it is usually someone who performs well in the Olympics who wins SPOTY in Olympic years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

-J- (30-07-2016)

Imagine if SPOTY was restricted only to athletes resident in the UK. That would mean no Hamilton, no Farah, no Bale and no Froome.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bardot For This Useful Post:

clancy (30-07-2016), jeannie13 (30-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
    Imagine if SPOTY was restricted only to athletes resident in the UK. That would mean no Hamilton, no Farah, no Bale and no Froome.
    I know it's not at all the same thing, but wasn't Andy in Miami in 2013 when the competition was on?
    Go Andy, thanks to all the mods!

Quote Originally Posted by themass15 View Post
    In my opinion Froome deserves it as things stand, he has one 3 Tour de France's and he was instrumental in Wiggins victory.
    It will all depend on the Olympics though.
    Go Andy, thanks to all the mods!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Master Yorkie For This Useful Post:

anor (30-07-2016)