Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016

Thread: Stell's trip to Serbia Dvais Cup

Stell's trip to Serbia Dvais Cup

Firstly, my plane to Warsaw got delayed by two hours. So, I was put on a direct flight to Belgrade with Air Serbia. When I arrived at the airport, the woman at the tourist information place was a bit rude to me. I asked her how to get to the Belgrade City hotel. She got out a map and said A1 bus and it'll cost you 300 dinars. Luckily, a taxi driver approached me and offered to take me there for 22 euros. When we arrived, the driver apologised for the traffic jams.

My room was in a different part of the hotel and I had to climb five flights of stairs. Breakfast was completely different to an ordinary British one, as mine didn't believe in a fried breakfast (though I don't usually have one).

I did a bit of sightseeing before going to the stadium. One of the security guards told someone, in front of me, no liquids. So, I quickly threw away the water. The whole time it just rained on and off. After Kyle Edmund had won, I got the number seven tram back to the hotel.

The next day, it was raining again. As they were starting earlier, I decided to get the number seven tram to the stadium. But, a ticket inspector was on it. I told him I didn't understand what he was saying. He looked a bit funny and spoke in English, asking for my ticket. I told I didn't have one. He looked a bit frustrated, as he stood in front of me with a notepad. Three hundred dinar, he then said. I told him I didn't have it, only euros. He looked like he was getting fed up with me. He wrote something down and showed me that 300 dinars equalled 20 euros. So, I handed it over to him and he gave me a 200 dinar note back. He then asked me for my name and gave me a ticket. He then told me I could use it all day. When I arrived at the stadium, they weren't allowing bottles in and they took both of mine. I sat and watched Ward lose but cheered on Murray and Inglot as they won. I then got the tram back.

The next day, I did more sightseeing before going back to the hotel. As I was about to leave, the two housekeeping women turned up. I had to wait for them to finish before leaving, as I had to lock my room's door. I walked to the stadium, and as I walked round St Mark's church, I could hear all the British fans chanting. When I arrived, I was told I wasn't allowed to bring any food in. Luckily, they didn't look in the bag as I had a packet of sweets and they would have taken them. I had to wait for the change of ends before allowed in. I sat at the top and watched Kyle Edmund win the match. I then decided to hang around and watch Ward's match. I then got the tram back to the hotel.

The next morning, I took the taxi (which the receptionist ordered) back to the airport and he charged me only 14 euros. I found I was two hours too early for the check in, so I had to hang around. The flight then got delayed by twenty minutes. After landing in Warsaw, I found a large relaxation room where I could sleep as I was going to be spending the night there. The next morning, my flight to Heathrow got delayed by two hours so I missed my coach back to Exeter. I had to rebook it. But, even that coach got delayed as well. I didn't arrive back until 5.10pm (17.10pm).

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stell For This Useful Post:

anor (20-07-2016), cazza99 (22-07-2016), clancy (20-07-2016), jeannie13 (22-07-2016), piscesperson (20-07-2016)

Re: Davis Cup QF - GB vs Serbia - everything but tickets

Gosh Stell why didn't you buy some dinar? 300 dinar is roughly 2.5 euros.......not 22 euros!
    Pat xx

Challenger Circuit

Re: Davis Cup QF - GB vs Serbia - everything but tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Stell View Post
    Firstly, my plane to Warsaw got delayed by two hours. So, I was put on a direct flight to Belgrade with Air Serbia. When I arrived at the airport, the woman at the tourist information place was a bit rude to me. I asked her how to get to the Belgrade City hotel. She got out a map and said A1 bus and it'll cost you 300 dinars. Luckily, a taxi driver approached me and offered to take me there for 22 euros. When we arrived, the driver apologised for the traffic jams.

My room was in a different part of the hotel and I had to climb five flights of stairs. Breakfast was completely different to an ordinary British one, as mine didn't believe in a fried breakfast (though I don't usually have one).

I did a bit of sightseeing before going to the stadium. One of the security guards told someone, in front of me, no liquids. So, I quickly threw away the water. The whole time it just rained on and off. After Kyle Edmund had won, I got the number seven tram back to the hotel.

The next day, it was raining again. As they were starting earlier, I decided to get the number seven tram to the stadium. But, a ticket inspector was on it. I told him I didn't understand what he was saying. He looked a bit funny and spoke in English, asking for my ticket. I told I didn't have one. He looked a bit frustrated, as he stood in front of me with a notepad. Three hundred dinar, he then said. I told him I didn't have it, only euros. He looked like he was getting fed up with me. He wrote something down and showed me that 300 dinars equalled 20 euros. So, I handed it over to him and he gave me a 200 dinar note back. He then asked me for my name and gave me a ticket. He then told me I could use it all day. When I arrived at the stadium, they weren't allowing bottles in and they took both of mine. I sat and watched Ward lose but cheered on Murray and Inglot as they won. I then got the tram back.

The next day, I did more sightseeing before going back to the hotel. As I was about to leave, the two housekeeping women turned up. I had to wait for them to finish before leaving, as I had to lock my room's door. I walked to the stadium, and as I walked round St Mark's church, I could hear all the British fans chanting. When I arrived, I was told I wasn't allowed to bring any food in. Luckily, they didn't look in the bag as I had a packet of sweets and they would have taken them. I had to wait for the change of ends before allowed in. I sat at the top and watched Kyle Edmund win the match. I then decided to hang around and watch Ward's match. I then got the tram back to the hotel.

The next morning, I took the taxi (which the receptionist ordered) back to the airport and he charged me only 14 euros. I found I was two hours too early for the check in, so I had to hang around. The flight then got delayed by twenty minutes. After landing in Warsaw, I found a large relaxation room where I could sleep as I was going to be spending the night there. The next morning, my flight to Heathrow got delayed by two hours so I missed my coach back to Exeter. I had to rebook it. But, even that coach got delayed as well. I didn't arrive back until 5.10pm (17.10pm).
    sounds like quite an experience, and I, also as a single traveller, am well aware that these things can happen in lands where there isn't a common language. Which is possibly what convinced me not to go to Belgrade. Most places I have been to for sports events (Belgium, France, Czech Rep., Glasgow !) you can muddle your way through with a basic understanding of the language, plus there is always someone around who speaks English. But when there isn't, such as when a Czech tram inspector snatches your perfectly valid ticket and puts it through the validator like I should have done, or when you get on the wrong line and end up with a half mile walk back to the Hotel through a high rise housing complex, you do feel suddenly very alone.
    Single travellers, not matter how well travelled, are always most at risk. Best thing I've found is to tag along with some-one attending your event when it comes to sharing travelling around, it's also good for sharing information about places to go, and pitfalls to avoid. Next time you go somewhere you'll probably find it's completely different (for example if we get France away in the final, and they play in Lille like before)