Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arise Sir Andy!

Re: Arise Sir Andy!

Something else that Djokovic won't ever achieve ... along with an Olympic Gold Medal.

Sir Andrew and Lady Kimberley Murray.

Maybe it is a tad early, maybe he will have a few embarassing moments over it (especially in the locker room methinks!!!) but he's not the youngest to have been so honoured for an outstanding contribution to their sport and I'm sure he'll use it wisely as a force for good in encouraging youngsters to play (and win!) at tennis!

Off soapbox.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

angiebabez (30-12-2016), anor (31-12-2016), clancy (31-12-2016), greatunclebulgaria (31-12-2016), hfwardhouse (30-12-2016), JAMES4578 (30-12-2016), jeannie13 (30-12-2016), karrig (31-12-2016), lynne (31-12-2016), rouges (02-01-2017)

Can see the point about timing but with other Olympians being rewarded at a similar level Andy had to be included. Anyone not accepting wouldn't be listed at this stage so sure Andy is fine with it,even if he might have preferred to wait till end of career. Whilst the honours system is in need of some reform there are many worthy recipients and personally think it's great for Andy even if not the most important achievement! Happy for Mo,Jess, Katherine and Lee too!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

angiebabez (30-12-2016), clancy (31-12-2016), jeannie13 (31-12-2016), RosieBear (31-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    It goes without saying that this is richly deserved....but not so sure it is really what Andy wanted *at this point in time*. And sorry, but it's what Andy feels that matters, not us. I have no doubt whatsoever that Andy will accept the honour graciously, but I also feel he would have much preferred to receive it later on, and that takes the shine off - just feel a bit frustrated for him.
    Can't see that this will take the shine off it at all for him. He had the option of declining it after all. He has worked his balls off, and this is an added and well deserved reward. I have always felt with him that his self esteem has taken a battering over the years, competing in the era he has. Things like this are a very concrete, and very public aknowledgement of his value. I don't doubt he will be a bit embarrassed, but in a good way.

I am delighted for him.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

clancy (31-12-2016), jeannie13 (31-12-2016)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bardot For This Useful Post:

clancy (31-12-2016), mickeypops (31-12-2016), Rosalind (30-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Can't see that this will take the shine off it at all for him. He had the option of declining it after all. He has worked his balls off, and this is an added and well deserved reward. I have always felt with him that his self esteem has taken a battering over the years, competing in the era he has. Things like this are a very concrete, and very public aknowledgement of his value. I don't doubt he will be a bit embarrassed, but in a good way.

I am delighted for him.
    Oh come on Teresa, like declining it a was an option i.e. losing a chance of the honour in the future, when he would actually be ready for it, and the backlash he would wrongly but inevitably get for daring to decline. Andy himself came out and said that he was too young, that he didn't want it right now - i.e. strongest hint possible while remaining polite. And the whole country can be delighted on his behalf, or look for positives in the situation, but for me it's only *Andy's* feelings that matter, otherwise it's as much an imposition as an honour. If Andy is happy then I am happy.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Bardot (30-12-2016), Caro (03-01-2017), lynne (31-12-2016)

From The Telegraph (only an extract)

Last month he was asked about the possibility of a knighthood after he became the first Briton to achieve the world No.1 ranking. He said at the time: “I don't know, I feel too young for something like that. I am still young and there are still a lot of things that can go wrong, I could still mess up and make mistakes.”

Sources close to Murray said he did not know at the time that he was about to be knighted, and was giving his “honest opinion”.

But when he received notification of the knighthood he did not hesitate to accept, as it is “a great honour that he was never going to turn down”. He is the first tennis player to be knighted.

It caps a year in which he became a father, won a second Wimbledon title and a second Olympic gold medal, picked up a third BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award and was named by Telegraph readers as Britain’s greatest ever sportsperson.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

clancy (31-12-2016), JAMES4578 (31-12-2016), jeannie13 (31-12-2016)

No - I agree, age is just a number. Sports people in the main are going to be very young. Personally I'm waiting for the umpires to say for example "Sir Andy Murray has two challenges remaining"! especially when playing some of the more, shall we say, up-themselves players!
    Last edited by Rosalind; 30-12-2016 at 23:38.
    Andy Murray - more exciting than a carnival weekend in Rio

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rosalind For This Useful Post:

anor (31-12-2016), clancy (31-12-2016), greatunclebulgaria (31-12-2016), jeannie13 (31-12-2016)

Hmmm! Why am I not as excited as I am when Andy wins a match? Of course there is no one more deserving etc etc (goes without saying) but I still do have reservations, based, I think, mostly on Andy's comments about a knighthood. I am with you on this one RosieBear. But he has been honoured, that's the way it is so let's celebrate and say many congratulations to our champ.
    Mind you, it's yet another FIRST for Andy....first tennis player to be knighted.
    Last edited by patlowe; 30-12-2016 at 23:57.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

anor (31-12-2016)

I am proud as his fan but would personally, like Andy, haver preferred it to come a bit later. But, hey, let's prepare for the AO. That is the next big thing!

Heard his knighthood get confirmed on the radio five live's 10.30pm (22.30pm) news, along with Mo Farah's knighthood. Both were expected.