Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa on the Rideau (roytennisfan blog)

Wild Card

Re: Ottawa on the Rideau (roytennisfan blog)

Went to have breakfast with John and he was worried about going with the fresh snow, I said that I could get him door to door by taxi without him stepping on snow, even if it would take longer. So after another long breakfast with plenty of hot porridge and hot drinks for me and my voice recovered, we put our bananas carefully low in our rucksacks and set off in a waiting taxi. The guy understood the instructions, must be door to gate1 without any snow to step on and no matter how long it took. We set off in good time at about 10.15 and arrived about the time the gates were due to open. John's "friends" welcomed him, they really were great on that gate, obviously not used by many people but just typical of how wonderfully we were welcomed everywhere in Ottawa. Anyway lift down again, through the journalists room and towards the seats. Mike from LTA came over (like he did every day) and asked John how he was, John said he was ok but a bit worried about getting back in the snow, grateful the taxi driver had brought him right to the door coming. John introduced me to a Canadian man sat in the back row just across from him with his English mother who had lived many years in Wimbledon. She looked very frail and if not in her 90's must have been well into her 80's> I had by big flag with me an asked would they like a picture together with the Union Jack. Both quickly agreed an I took a couple of pictures on my phone and emailed them. They had been all three days and traveled almost 200 miles by car to come.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

Caro (26-02-2017), cazza99 (25-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), exislander (24-02-2017), Genbrit (25-02-2017), jackie55 (25-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), Linda (25-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017), supergran (25-02-2017)

Wild Card

Over to watch the Tennis, mixed views on weather Dan could win. I thought Pospisal was dropping a level and that Dan would win in 5 when he got over the line to win the 3rd set but just as it looked like Dan was on fire and about to get a double break in the 4th Pospisal served 2 aces from 15-40 followed by more and more winners. Dan was broken the next game and suddenly momentum changed back. This lead to the tie being leveled at 2-2 and the positive was it gave Kyle the chance to win it for us in the deciding matchl, I was fairly confident in Kyle but not everyone was. Kyle started well banging down his servers and to me, the outcome was never in doubt. Kyle broke in the third and I was moving to jump up so missed seeing Shapovalov hit the umpire but did see the mess of the umpires face and the obvious disqualification. There were slightly muted celebrations, it was such a shame it took the edge of the victory and a pretty solid performance by Kyle. Still Kyle was eventually celebrating, climbing up to high5 fans and signing Autographs, not sure if we get another Doc dance then or not but plenty of singing and celebrations.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

anor (24-02-2017), Caro (26-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), Genbrit (25-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), Linda (25-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017)

Wild Card

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

Genbrit (25-02-2017), goldfish (24-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017)

Wild Card

Mike said to meet him after it finished and he would sort out our journey back. He didn't tell us then it was in an official Davis Cup car and that we had to go down with him to the lower level, giving Jamie a smile on the way, whilst Mike unlocked a door for him. Anyway he passed us on to one of the drivers and we shared the car with three French speaking Canadians, dropping us off at our hotel first. Well we went to get food and found the place packed, it was not long till the superbowl was about to start and we found a small table but without chairs which the staff duly fetched some for us. By the time our food arrived, the game had starting and .....people were starting to leave? It turned out there had been a large get together for some event in the meeting rooms and people were eating and then dashing home to watch at home with family and friends...so we relaxed had our food ordered desserts taking our time, both of us were really tired, the superbowl reached half-time, Lady Gaga did her bit and we decided we had seen enough and left. Everyone thought the game was over, the Falcons had such a large lead

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

Caro (26-02-2017), cazza99 (25-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), Genbrit (25-02-2017), goldfish (24-02-2017), jackie55 (25-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), Linda (25-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017), themass15 (25-02-2017)

Wild Card

Well I went back to the room, had a very quick shower and switched the tv on. The superbowl was still on, the commentator gave out the fact that 33 teams had been leading by this amount at this time and all 33 had won...but i carried on watching, it wasn't that late in Canada. The Patriots New England had the ball and scored but they were still at least two scores behind. Back to the Falcons they were driving up the pitch and were within field goal range, which would put them three scores ahead but then the Patriots defense made a massive play and sacked the quarterback, they lost a lot of ground, were now out of field goal range and had to kick the ball to the Patriots who then proceeded to score...it was getting very exciting.....the Falcons were still a score ahead and had the ball but then another massive play by the Patriots defence got a turnover with enough time for them to go and score the touchdown and the extra points for the kick sent the Superbowl into overtime for the first time ever. The Patriots then won the toss and received the kick off and then went on to the winning drive to win in overtime. Their quarterback Tom Brady took all the credits and was declared best player (as QBs often are) but the defense really kept them in it with those two big plays in the second half.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

anor (25-02-2017), cazza99 (25-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), exislander (25-02-2017), Genbrit (26-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017)

Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by ljs View Post
    Great blog Roy !!!!
    Is that you jumping around like a crazy man with the flag ?

Too bad you weren't feeling well , but glad you enjoyed it !!!
    Guilty, yes was a bit rough but made sure it didn't stop me enjoying the tennis and supporting the team

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

JerryD (28-02-2017), ljs (26-02-2017)

Wild Card

Our trip home

Well another boring day, we stayed around the hotel and chatted, the manageress (who is a big tennis fan and went all 3 days) said we could keep our room until time to leave, so we both had a very lazy relaxing day. There was more snow but Ottawa avoided the really large amounts other places got and there was a forecast of freezing rain for later. Took our taxi to the airport in good time, our flight was down as being on-time. Saw there had been problems with an earlier flight to Toronto which some Brits were on. In Departures saw Leon Dan and Kyle but no Dom or Jamie. Others had seen the 3 of them checking in, so guess Jamie and Dom were not on our flight. Spent my final few Canadian dollars buying food and some water, saw Supergran relaxing with a drink at one of the bars (what else does one do?). We boarded early with John having assistance but we didn't see any sign of Supergran. It seemed like everybody had boarded the plane and there was still no sign of Supergran, I said to John, I wonder if she's managed to get upgraded and stay with the players in first class......but then a few minutes later she appeared and we found out she had boarded after the players and been having a good chat with them.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

Caro (26-02-2017), cazza99 (25-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), Genbrit (26-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), Linda (25-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017), supergran (25-02-2017)

Wild Card

Well the Plane wouldn't move from the stand, the captain told us the wheels had been slipping so they were fetching and putting down Sand. The snow was getting heavier! After we got away from the stand we taxied to an area where we were de-iced, they did a very thorough job. Then it was to the runway and we took off about 30 minutes behind schedule. They quickly gave us food and drink and then turned the lights down. We were told the flight back was only about 6 hours and that we would land close to scheduled time. I managed to get some sleep before being woken up about an hour or so before landing, enough time for some food and drink. On landing at Heathrow we waited for others to leave and then sought out assistance. Again they were short of staff etc with a number of people needing help, eventually we got John and Supergran from the gate to the pickup point for the mechanised people carrier which they both managed to get on ,taking the last two seats, so I was left to run/jog after them. I was struggling to keep up and gasping for breath. I took an escalator and they took a lift, then through immigration and then down in another lift to the bus taking people from t2 to t5. Eventually we arrived at our gate and there was just enough time for me to buy hot drinks at the cafe nearby, I drank mine quickly and then carried the other 2 onto the plane for John and Supergran to finish. The flight was very quick and assistance through Manchester was ok but I ended up wheeling John again whilst a helper took Supergran and got us quickly through to arrivals where we said goodbye and got our rides.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

anor (25-02-2017), Caro (26-02-2017), cazza99 (25-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), Genbrit (26-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017), supergran (25-02-2017)

Wild Card

Conclusion

We all had a wonderful time, the most amazing thing on the trip was the wonderful way we were treated and welcomed everywhere, how helpful polite accommodating, everyone we met in Canada were. The |Tennis of course was fantastic and it was wonderful how so many Canadians at the Tennis complemented us on our support and how we made it an unbelievable atmosphere. Wherever I walked around to John I was met by smiles and positive comments. In fact I would go as far to say that Canadians and people across the border to the south, are like chalk and cheese, the willingness to help everywhere so different to being in many areas of the states. In fact, I would recommended anyone contemplating flying across the "Pond" to seriously consider Canada rather than the US

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

anor (25-02-2017), Caro (26-02-2017), cazza99 (25-02-2017), Elizabeth (26-02-2017), exislander (25-02-2017), Genbrit (26-02-2017), Hawkeye (25-02-2017), JAMES4578 (25-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), Josephine (25-02-2017), Linda (25-02-2017), lovetennis (25-02-2017), patlowe (25-02-2017), themass15 (25-02-2017)

Thank you Roy. Really enjoyed that and so glad you had such a positive experience. Well worth it by the sound of it.