Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused in Canada (Linda's blogette)

Re: Confused in Canada (Linda's blogette)

When we left the wholefood restaurant, it took us quite some time to get a bus - because they were all sailing past us already full. There had been some talk of extra buses being laid on, but it seems that hadn't happened. Eventually we got a bus and went back to the hotel. We didn't need anything to eat as we'd had a big lunch and a small meal at the wholefood restaurant, so we just chilled in Helen's room with the Pinot Grigio and healthy raw carrots and hummus.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (19-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), JAMES4578 (19-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), patlowe (19-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), supergran (19-02-2017)

Saturday morning dawned and we had breakfast in Helen's room again. We'd already worked out what time we should get the bus to get to the venue not too early, not too late. So we set off at the appointed time.

When we got on the bus, we saw leaflets advertising the 'SNO-BUS'. This was operating at weekends only during Winterlude and went from Confederation Park (by our hotel, the one with the ice sculpture competition) to Dow Lake, stopping at the tennis venue! And it was also free! So we would use that in future as the bus stop was nearer to the hotel than the normal bus.

Then we started to realise that we would be about an hour too early and wondered how we had miscalculated. So when we got off the bus, we wandered around and went in the Lindt shop. I had no idea that they did all those different flavours of Lindor. Then we went in a cafe for coffee. We were sitting drinking our coffee when for some reason I don't know, I got my ticket out and looked at it. We weren't an hour to early at all, we had been correct originally - the tennis was due to start in 10 minutes! So we gulped back our coffee and went straight into the venue for the tennis.

This time I went and sat back in Helen's row as there were 4 empty seats there, and I would have plenty of room for waving my large flag. As you all know, the doubles was an absolutely brilliant match and could have gone either way, but thankfully we won it! So we finished the day at 2-1.
    Last edited by Linda; 19-02-2017 at 21:48.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (20-02-2017), Caro (20-02-2017), cazza99 (19-02-2017), clancy (20-02-2017), exislander (19-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), jackie55 (20-02-2017), JAMES4578 (19-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), patlowe (19-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), supergran (19-02-2017), themass15 (19-02-2017)

Really good read there Linda. Enjoying it. Lovely experience for you all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

Linda (20-02-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Yes, thank you for doing a blog Linda. Looking forward to the next instalment, it's great to read all about the bits we didn't see and get the different perspectives from the 3 of you who have kindly written blogs.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

clancy (20-02-2017), Linda (20-02-2017), patlowe (20-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), supergran (20-02-2017)

Thanks Linda!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:

Linda (20-02-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Great read, Linda! Your memory obviously has returned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anor For This Useful Post:

Linda (20-02-2017)

Thanks Linda, you obviously enjoyed your trip. No mention of the weather did you manage the cold OK?
    Pat

14. The Following User Says Thank You to patmoren For This Useful Post:

Linda (20-02-2017)

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the weather! It was lovely cold and snowy I was nice and warm in all my cold weather gear, but I could feel the cold stinging my face. After I'd been walking around sightseeing on the Thursday, when I got back to my hotel room and looked in the mirror, my face was bright red! When I went to Slovakia I got several new broken veins on my face, but then I was out in it all day every day. I don't think I got any more this time, but I've got so many now that it wouldn't make much difference!

I also forgot to mention that the seats at the venue were the most comfortable I've found in all my years of attending tennis matches.

There are probably a lot of other things I've forgotten to mention too, that might come to me later . . .

My next post will be about our trip to Dow Lake on the Sno-Bus, but first I've got to see about travel to Rouen!

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (20-02-2017), Caro (21-02-2017), cazza99 (20-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), JAMES4578 (20-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), patlowe (20-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), Silverdee (20-02-2017), supergran (20-02-2017), themass15 (20-02-2017)

We'd decided to have our forum meal out on Saturday night. But there was time to do something else first, so Helen & I got on the Sno-Bus to Dow Lake. The bus followed the road alongside the canal, so we could see all the skaters on it. There were a large number of skaters, and also some pulling toboggans and some pushing fancy carriages that looked as though they ought to contain a Snow Queen. Helen said the only way I would get her onto the ice would be to push her along in one of those, but I don't know if they were available for hire!

When we got to Dow Lake we went into the restaurant building. There is a nice restaurant overlooking the lake. So we took seats and watched all the skaters on the lake. We had a cup of coffee and a Beaver Tail. There was plenty of choice on the menu, but of course I would be eating out later (Helen had decided against coming with us as she said she was a bit jetlagged and needed to catch up on her sleep). I thought to myself, what a lovely place this is for families, with so much to do out of doors. It must be great for kids growing up. I expect it is just as lovely in the summer - they probably have boating on the lake then. It was getting quite dark but it wasn't putting off the skaters. So we got back on the Sno-Bus which took us back past TD place to Confederation Park, the whole length of the canal. There were still plenty of skaters on it all the way. The park was busy then with lots of people, and music playing. Our hotel was only just over the road from there.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (20-02-2017), Caro (21-02-2017), cazza99 (20-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), JAMES4578 (20-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), patlowe (20-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), supergran (20-02-2017)

We hadn't booked a restaurant - we thought that as there were only a few of us we wouldn't need to. Hawkeye had told us to meet him at 8pm at the corner of Byward Market. So I duly set off, and arrived there pretty much at the right time. Hawkeye was waiting there. He said that SG would wait to hear what restaurant we were in and then get a taxi, but Roy & John should be on their way. We waited a while and then he got a message from Roy saying he was outside a particular bar - we looked there and there was no sign of him. After a bit, Roy turned up - he said he'd been early so gone for a drink. John wasn't coming. Then Hawkeye got out his list of restaurants that had been recommended by the LTA. We went to the medium-priced Italian but it was full and with a queue waiting. So we went to the expensive Italian. It was nearly full but they found room for us. We sat down and Hawkeye contacted SG to let her know where we were.

We were brought menus and glasses of water. That was something that impressed me in Ottawa - in all the restaurants they brought you water without being asked. They kept bringing refills, too. Unlike in the UK where they only bring it if asked as they want to sell more drinks. The waitress asked if we'd like to order any drinks - Hawkeye ordered a beer, Roy ordered an Irish coffee and I said I'd wait for Maureen to arrive as we'd probably share a bottle of wine. The waitress said she couldn't do an Irish coffee as they'd run out of 'Irish whisper' (or was it Irish Mist? Something like that, anyway). Roy said just put any whisky in it, so she was able to do it. I commented to Roy (rather rude of me, I suppose) that it was a strange drink to have before your meal. But he said that as he had a cold and sore throat, he didn't want to have a cold drink.

Then we looked at the menu. There were some very nice sounding dishes, albeit on the expensive side. But the wines! I couldn't believe it. Over here, a restaurant like that would have a selection of very fine wines. But these were the sort of wine you could get for a fiver in Tesco. And the prices! I think the cheapest bottle was around $50. By the time you've added on tax and a tip, that's close to $65. When SG arrived, we settled on a bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Maureen, Roy and I all chose the lobster cannelloni. It was delicious. It had a creamy sauce on it - not too heavy, very nice - and all around the edge of the plate were mussels in their shells. We all really enjoyed it. Hawkeye had a meaty pasta dish which he also said was good.

Afterwards, Hawkeye, SG and I all had a Limoncello but Roy asked for a cherry brandy. The waitress said they didn't do it - in fact by her confused look I don't think she'd ever heard of it. After quite some discussion between Roy and the waitress, with suggestions from the rest of us, he decided on a Southern Comfort (I think). When it came up, it definitely wasn't Southern Comfort as it was dark red. Perhaps it was cherry brandy after all? Roy was looking very dubious so I said I'd taste it and did. Ugh! It was that dreadful excuse for a drink known as Campari! Thank goodness I had the Limoncello to wash the taste away. However I said to Roy that as it tastes just like medicine it might do him some good, so he drank it. As far as I know he is still speaking to me.
    Last edited by Linda; 20-02-2017 at 21:42.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (21-02-2017), Caro (21-02-2017), cazza99 (20-02-2017), clancy (21-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), patlowe (20-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), supergran (20-02-2017)