Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused in Canada (Linda's blogette)

Re: Confused in Canada (Linda's blogette)

It was a Drambuie that Roy asked for, but the point stands!
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Linda (20-02-2017)

The Sno-Bus also went in the opposite direction, from Confederation Park to Gatineau Park. We'd have like to have gone there, too, but it only ran at weekends and we wouldn't have time with two matches to watch on the Sunday. I did, however, have time to go to church. I found that there was an Anglican church only a couple of blocks away from the hotel. I couldn't go to the main service at 10.30am but I could go to the early BCP service at 8.30am. So in the morning I walked down there. Although it was snowing outside it was very warm in the church. I wonder how they manage it. In my church it is always freezing cold and they say it's because the heat rises into the very high ceiling. Well, this was also a traditionally designed church with a very high ceiling. At home everybody keeps their coats on in church but here I had soon removed coat, hat, scarf, gloves, fleece, cardigan . . . the rest of the congregation must have been worried as to what would come off next!

They had a new vicar and this was his first service in the church (actually I think they called him something other than vicar, but it was the same sort of thing). He gave a very good sermon, if rather long. As this was the early service, there were of course only about 15 people there to hear it. At the end of the service, they all rushed to introduce themselves to him and his wife. Nobody spoke to me at all which I thought was very poor show. At our church we always make a point of welcoming visitors.
    Last edited by Linda; 20-02-2017 at 22:03.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (21-02-2017), Caro (21-02-2017), cazza99 (20-02-2017), clancy (21-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), goldfish (22-02-2017), jackie55 (21-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), karanga (27-02-2017), patlowe (20-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), roytennisfan (21-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

So then it was back to Helen's room for breakfast, then back through the park to the Sno-Bus to take us to the tennis.

Incidentally, I thought the bus services in Ottawa were fantastic. There were loads of routes and they all ran about every 15 minutes - so there was a continual stream of buses along the roads. They were cheap, too. Although we didn't have to pay for any of them as both the Sno-Bus and the other routes to the tennis were free.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (21-02-2017), Caro (21-02-2017), cazza99 (20-02-2017), clancy (21-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), jackie55 (21-02-2017), karanga (27-02-2017), patlowe (20-02-2017), RosieBear (20-02-2017), roytennisfan (21-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

I really must get back to this as the memories are fading fast! But I've been extremely busy at work all week and feeling quite knackered.

The Sno-Bus was definitely the best way to get to TD place as it took us virtually door to door. We had another exciting day of tennis ahead of us. I really thought that Dan would win his match; even when he was two sets down I was sure he would come back to win, and when he won the next set I was even more sure. I was sure right up until the last point had been played. Tiebreak in the last set, it could so easily have gone Dan's way, but unfortunately it didn't. So we were 2-2 and relying on Kyle. I would have thought he could beat Shapovalov but he hadn't played all that well on Friday so now I was worried. I even started to wonder who we were likely to get in the play-offs in September.

Thankfully, Kyle played well today. He won both the first sets, then when he got the break in the third it seemed certain - and indeed it was, due to the strange event that happened next. Well, you have all seen it but Helen & I didn't see what had happened due to people in front of us. I said, what's happened, has the umpire been taken ill? Helen said, I think he must have been hit by a ball, but I didn't see it. We couldn't work out what was going on. Then when it was announced that the match was defaulted we were so surprised. Of course after that break of serve the outcome was pretty certain anyway - that's why Shapovalov had his moment of frustration - but it was a shame that the tie ended that way rather than the match being played out. Although of course, it had to be a default as per the rules.

Helen and I went round to see Fiona and Katie. Fiona suggested going to a nearby Indian restaurant. Judging by Friday night, I thought it was highly unlikely that we'd get in and we'd have to walk for ages to find somewhere open. I'd lost sight of the others now, but thought it would be best to see where we ended up then let them know where we were. Anyway, to my surprise there was plenty of room in the Indian (although of course it was earlier than Friday, so probably a lot of people weren't ready to eat yet). I texted Hawkeye to tell him. He said that he & SG were in a bar watching the Superbowl (or it may have been some other sporting event that I know nothing about), and that he wanted to watch the match and SG was thinking of getting a taxi to the players' hotel.

Anyway, the four of us had a nice meal in the Indian restaurant. Then Fiona said, would we like to go back to their apartment for a cup of tea? So that is what we did. It was a fair walk - if SG had been with us, she would have had to take a taxi. They had got a very nice apartment; I believe they got it through Airbnb. So we had a cup of tea and a nice chat. Eventually I was feeling quite tired so Helen & I made our way back to the bus stop and returned to our hotel. She would be starting her journey home tomorrow afternoon but would have time to do some sightseeing with me in the morning (I wasn't going back till Tuesday).

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (24-02-2017), cazza99 (24-02-2017), exislander (24-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), patlowe (24-02-2017), roytennisfan (24-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

I would have liked to go on the Sno-Bus in the opposite direction to Gatineau Park, but it only ran at weekends. My next choice would have been to go to the National Art Gallery (the one with the enormous spider outside) but on looking it up, found that it was closed on Mondays. So we decided to go to the Bytown museum. This was just up the road by the canal. It turned out to be very interesting. Bytown was the original name of the settlement that was eventually to become Ottawa. I had assumed it was called that because it was 'by the river' or something, but it was named after it's founder, Lieutenant-Colonel John By. He had been put in charge of building a canal linking the Ottawa River to Dow Lake, and then on, lake to lake, until reaching the sea. This was to be an alternate route to the sea as the British were afraid that the Americans might block the St Lawrence River.

The canal was a huge success and the whole length of it can still be navigated today. There are many locks, including the famous series of locks at the entrance to the canal (right by the Bytown museum) which raise the water level by I forget how much, but it is a lot.

Bytown first built up in the area where Byward Market now is - this was where the workers lived and was apparently quite a rough area. The 'posh' area built up on the other side of the canal where the parliament buildings now are.

We spent most of the morning at the museum as it was so interesting, until it was time for Helen to go back to the hotel, collect her things and depart.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (24-02-2017), cazza99 (24-02-2017), exislander (24-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), goldfish (24-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), karanga (27-02-2017), patlowe (24-02-2017), roytennisfan (24-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

Then I went to have a look around the Rideau Centre, a huge shopping mall. I looked at shoes, boots and hats but the prices were extortionate so I didn't buy anything. Then I went back across the canal to City Hall where they have an exhibition of modern art. Well, I obviously do not understand modern art. There were two separate exhibitions. One had a few photos of stones and large paintings that appeared to be of nothing at all, just white with one or two lines. Presumably they were meant to be inspired by the photos. The other had pictures mainly of Spiderman - these were meant to be a fusion of native culture and pop culture. There was also a film playing of a man handcuffed to a railing and being tortured by a young woman. It was meant to be a 'response to rape'. I hurried out as I don't like that sort of thing.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (24-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), goldfish (24-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), patlowe (24-02-2017), roytennisfan (24-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

I have no memory of what I did for lunch. I think I must have gone back to the Biblioteque Cafe. It would have been quite late for lunch by then, but I'm sure I must have had something. Then I returned to my room and found that a takeaway menu had been put under the door. I had been wondering about going to the nearby Nando's for dinner but then thought I might as well get a takeaway. I texted Hawkeye to see if he was interested in going out for dinner (he was the only other one who hadn't gone home today) but he wasn't, so I decided I would have the takeaway. I thought I would go back to the wine shop to get wine to go with it. So back I went, to the little wine shop in the corner of the supermarket. I would have got some nuts as well, but I would have had to go into the main supermarket to a different till for that. The wine shop only sold wine, the supermarket sold everything except wine.

It reminded me of when I and my family visited my brother and his family in Queensland, Australia, some years ago. I did some shopping in the local supermarket and looked for wine as I wanted to buy a couple of bottles to take back to their place. I was told that the supermarket didn't sell wine, but there was a bottle shop next door. So on leaving the supermarket I saw that there was indeed a separate shop selling wine, so I went in and bought a couple of bottles. When I got back to my brother's house and presented them with the wine, they were quite shocked. It seems that decent people there don't go in 'bottle shops'. I'm sure it's different in places like Sydney & Melbourne, but that's how it was in a provincial town in Queensland. Then I recalled that the previous night, I'd commented to Fiona that there didn't seem to be much of a wine drinking culture in Canada. She said that there was in some places, but it wasnt as bad as in the UK. So similar outlook to the lady on the plane. Perhaps people seeing me go in the wine shop in Ottawa thought I was a disreputable person!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (24-02-2017), cazza99 (24-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), goldfish (24-02-2017), karanga (27-02-2017), patlowe (24-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

After wandering around some more, I went to Starbucks to have a coffee and read the newspapers (sorry, Canadians, but it's so much nicer than Tim Horton's!).
    Then I went back to my hotel, to the room with the computers and printers, to check in for tomorrow's flight and book my luggage onto it (because as I explained at the beginning, you can only do that 24 hours before your flight).

By now it was early evening so I opened my wine and perused the takeaway menu. I had a very unhealthy but tasty meal which was conveniently delivered direct to my room.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (24-02-2017), cazza99 (24-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), karanga (27-02-2017), patlowe (24-02-2017), roytennisfan (24-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

The next morning I got up late as I would have a very long day and a half ahead of me. I had a leisurely breakfast in the cafe again, then packed and checked out. Strolled across to the bus stop which was right outside the hotel and was soon at the airport. I was of course quite early so I stopped for a coffee before checking my bag. Hawkeye then arrived - he must have caught the bus after mine - so we both checked our luggage, went through security and went to the bar (of course!). He had a beer and I asked what wines they had. The waiter said they had Sauvignon Blanc so I asked if it was Chilean or New Zealand. He said, neither, it is our own Niagara wine. So I had that and it was very nice. I wonder why I hadn't seen it anywhere else. I suppose I hadn't noticed it because I wasn't looking for it. Strangely, he brought me a glass of water as well.

We saw other people getting food so we decided we might as well have lunch. We asked for the menu. I ordered tacos but Hawkeye decided to try the speciality of Canada, which was on every menu everywhere (well, OK, not in the posh Italian) - poutine. This, I had been told, was chips, 'cheese curd' - whatever that is - and gravy. Well, chips with cheese, OK, chips with gravy, just about OK, but with both? It sounds disgusting. Anyway he ate it and said it was OK. His flight was an hour before mine so he then had to dash off to his gate. I only realised after he'd gone, I'd intended to buy him a drink (it was his birthday) but when we got the bill we each paid for our own. So, Ronnie, I'm really sorry and I still owe you a drink.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

anor (24-02-2017), Caro (26-02-2017), cazza99 (24-02-2017), exislander (24-02-2017), Genbrit (27-02-2017), Hawkeye (24-02-2017), JerryD (28-02-2017), karanga (27-02-2017), patlowe (24-02-2017), roytennisfan (24-02-2017), supergran (24-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I have no memory of what I did for lunch. I think I must have gone back to the Biblioteque Cafe. It would have been quite late for lunch by then, but I'm sure I must have had something. Then I returned to my room and found that a takeaway menu had been put under the door. I had been wondering about going to the nearby Nando's for dinner but then thought I might as well get a takeaway. I texted Hawkeye to see if he was interested in going out for dinner (he was the only other one who hadn't gone home today) but he wasn't, so I decided I would have the takeaway. I thought I would go back to the wine shop to get wine to go with it. So back I went, to the little wine shop in the corner of the supermarket. I would have got some nuts as well, but I would have had to go into the main supermarket to a different till for that. The wine shop only sold wine, the supermarket sold everything except wine.

It reminded me of when I and my family visited my brother and his family in Queensland, Australia, some years ago. I did some shopping in the local supermarket and looked for wine as I wanted to buy a couple of bottles to take back to their place. I was told that the supermarket didn't sell wine, but there was a bottle shop next door. So on leaving the supermarket I saw that there was indeed a separate shop selling wine, so I went in and bought a couple of bottles. When I got back to my brother's house and presented them with the wine, they were quite shocked. It seems that decent people there don't go in 'bottle shops'. I'm sure it's different in places like Sydney & Melbourne, but that's how it was in a provincial town in Queensland. Then I recalled that the previous night, I'd commented to Fiona that there didn't seem to be much of a wine drinking culture in Canada. She said that there was in some places, but it wasnt as bad as in the UK. So similar outlook to the lady on the plane. Perhaps people seeing me go in the wine shop in Ottawa thought I was a disreputable person!
    Definitely Linda!!
    Pat

20. The Following User Says Thank You to patmoren For This Useful Post:

Linda (24-02-2017)