Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Not Go Gently into that Good Night or "It's Life Jim, but Not as We Know it"

Re: Do Not Go Gently into that Good Night or "It's Life Jim, but Not as We Know it"

Re: Do Not Go Gently into that Good Night or "It's Life Jim, but Not as We Know it"

So moving Maureen and a lovely reminder to us all to cherish every moment of life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WimbledonWestie For This Useful Post:

supergran (11-06-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Well seen you were a Principal of English, Maureen as your diary is so movingly told. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during those phone conversations with the authorities! Please keep us updated and meantime my thoughts are with you and Alan and just think that it won't be long now until your pamper day out at Wimbie.

Beautifully written Maureen and if it were to be published it would be a source of inspiration to those in a similar position to you. Once again, I marvel at your fortitude and resilience...you are amazing. I know who I would turn to if I needed help and encouragement to conquer a difficult situation! Also love the title of this thread! Take care.

Oh Maureen, my heart goes out to you both. You have such a gift of writing.
    It brought tears to my eyes as it will to many.The love for each other shines through.
    It's good that it helps you to write about it .Keep going - we all care a lot.

Much love

Challenger Circuit

Aaah Mo!!!! So glad your writing is a source of therapy for you. Make sure you keep all of your musings saved somewhere safe as well. It takes me back to caring for mum, which I'm so glad I was able to do.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're an amazing woman and write away on here as much as you need.

We all love and care about you both.
    2011 Bubble Gap Champion

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Genbrit For This Useful Post:

lynne (11-06-2017), Mickey (11-06-2017)

Amazed that you are reading this. Thought I'd just jot down my thoughts and eventually someone would visit this thread. You are on the ball, impressed as I sometimes forget to look at all threads. Your comments are lovely and Lynne and Susan I hope it's not upset you, bringing back memories of your struggles caring for loved ones.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Genbrit (12-06-2017), lynne (11-06-2017), patlowe (11-06-2017), WimbledonWestie (11-06-2017)

It is our 53rd Wedding Anniversary. I buy two cards and show them to Alan. He asks for a pen. Tears come easily often and there are tears as he struggles to write as I hold the card and try to guide his hand. It is practically indecipherable but he carries on. He used to write the most loving and romantic messages, words that didn't come easily but could be written so beautifully. I kiss him and say that's lovely, thank you and he lies back in the chair exhausted with the effort. During the day when he's awake I talk about our wedding day. How it was the hottest Whit on record the days before, how it was hot and sunny as we went into church and when we came out after a long Nuptial Mass the heavens opened and we had to dash back into church until the rain subsided and we were able to take photographs outside. He remembers and recalls other events of the day. We hold hands as we reminisce and he looks happy. Later we listen to music together. It's been a lovely day though as I sit next to him I can't help wondering how many more will we have.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

anor (11-06-2017), banskogirl (11-06-2017), Caro (18-07-2017), clancy (11-06-2017), Genbrit (12-06-2017), jagmad (11-06-2017), jeannie13 (11-06-2017), Keeptheheid (01-08-2017), lynne (11-06-2017), Mickey (11-06-2017), MurrayAOne (13-06-2017), patlowe (11-06-2017), WimbledonWestie (11-06-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Beautifully written and very poignant. I have never had the pleasure of meeting either of you but can't help be moved by your story. I sincerely hope that the future is no harder than it needs to be for both of you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AllyB For This Useful Post:

supergran (11-06-2017)

The District Nurse comes for another blood test. He smiles at her and says hello. The tennis from Monte Carlo is on. I turn down the volume as she chats. She comments that he must like tennis. Yes he replies but Maureen loves Andy Murray and he comes first in our house! She laughs and says she's sure that's not true. The GP visits, he's the second string at our surgery, young and very interested in PSP. Alan is the first patient he's met with this condition and we discuss it at length. He comments on the photographs in the room showing supergramps standing, smiling, looking so different. Photographs taken at my 70th birthday, with our children, in New York, San Diego and with the Captain on our last cruise. On Sundays the Eucharist Minister Frank visits bring Communion for us both. He grasps both hands as he greets supergramps and Alan responds with a huge smile. He's always pleased to see him. Sometimes he is able to follow the short service, attempting to pray, other times he just stares upwards blankly. He tries to make the sign of the Cross not always successively but he's always happy he's received Communion. One day we get a visit from our local priest. Alan is having a good day and during the hour and three quarter visit he chats with Fr Tom who promises to come and see him again..................................Visitors are few and far between these days. When he came home from hospital in. January I sent an e-mail to the Old Codgers, a forum for retired Fire Fighters in Merseyside saying I would appreciate visits from ex-colleagues. To date he has had two visits. So many men have told me they will visit, from the two rugby union clubs, from our local but they don't come. He is on the Sick List at our Parish Church and the information reaches two parishes.....but nobody comes. My friends say they will visit, people I have known for many years.....but they don't come...........Thankfully I have two friends, one I've known for many years as we worked together and one I met through this forum. If it wasn't for Janet and Pam aka MurrayAOne I wouldn't see anyone except for family. These two true friends have been a source of solace to me and it's with them and Pam especially that I get to enjoy conversation, a few glasses of wine and the knowledge that I haven't been totally abandoned.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

Caro (18-07-2017), Genbrit (12-06-2017), jeannie13 (11-06-2017), lynne (11-06-2017), patlowe (11-06-2017)