Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Sports Personalty 2017 - December 17th 6.45 pm

Re: Sports Personalty 2017 - December 17th 6.45 pm

My daughter, Bubblebee, (who was a competitive swimmer) wanted Adam Peaty to win but I think swimming is not shown enough on television and lots of people I know don't know who Adam Peaty is but do know Mo.

Is it my imagination or is the length of the program shorter than it used to be several years ago. It seemed quite short last year too. I wonder if it is because the Apprentice final is straight afterwards.

I wonder if it bothers Lewis Hamilton that he can't even finish higher than a swimmer (no disrespect to Adam) in a popularity contest when he competes in one of the highest profile sports, of which he's just become champion for the 4th time. Probably not, but it should. The great british public do like some-one who seems genuinely humble, and who can embrace defeat as well as victory.
    I too thought the programme seemed shorter and 'leaner' then I realised I'd only switched on 45 minutes after it started !

They interviewed Mo with all the audience there so must have cut it short on TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42388258

I think the programme is a bit shorter, used to be 7.30-10 but now starts earlier, was 6-45 this time. Rarely watch the Apprentice myself due to the presenter Certainly think Adam Peaty more deserving than some and excelling in his field as much as Hamilton (who has at least won before) but then swimming fan (even though don't swim personally and not that interested in F1) Hadn't previously heard of Rae the motorcyclist in 2nd place prior to nomination. Whilst it was good for Peacock a paralympian to be recognised no doubt Strictly was a factor. I thought Johanna Konta would've done a bit better,whilst obviously many achieved more she did have a high profile at Wimbledon even if 2nd half of year was poor. whilst the sportswomen had poor year in the public vote they've had 6 top 3 placings since win for Zara Phillips in 2006, Kelly Homes also triumphed in 2004. The press Sport awards have different categories , this year Chris Froome took it ahead of Joshua and Peaty whilst Hannah Cockcroft won over Tammy Beaumont and Konta.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

anor (Today), exislander (Today), karanga (Today)

I was a little surprised at the result although pleased for Mo Farah; he thoroughly deserved it. A bit surprised they seemed to skate over Federer winning Overseas Award but I think they ran out of time. It all seemed very rushed at the end.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to themass15 For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (Today)

Quote Originally Posted by cazza99 View Post
    They interviewed Mo with all the audience there so must have cut it short on TV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42388258
    They did not "cut it short" - the video link failed so the TV transmission ended presumably before the link was restored for the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by exislander View Post
    They did not "cut it short" - the video link failed so the TV transmission ended presumably before the link was restored for the interview.
    I know the transmission failed. But they could have waited for it to be restored before ending the show,or at least moved it to the red button. It definitely was restored for the audience, as the audience looked full for the video of the interview. In the past they used to spend a bit longer at the end and run over a lot if necessary.