Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Personalty 2017 - December 17th 6.45 pm

Re: Sports Personalty 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    He has got it 3 times. Regardless of what he does or doesn't achieve for the rest of this year, I would hope he has let it be known that he doesn't want his name put forward again. It's somebody else's turn. The 3 he got were richly deserved, but you can have too much of a good thing.
    Well unless he wins the US Open or goes on some incredible streak again to finish No1 (surely impossible) he won't need to let anything be known as he wouldn't be nominated anyway!

Challenger Circuit

Hopefully Laura Muir will be the clear frontrunner (accidental pun alert) by the end of August.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AllyB For This Useful Post:

exislander (17-07-2017)

ATP Ace!

Quote Originally Posted by AllyB View Post
    Hopefully Laura Muir will be the clear frontrunner (accidental pun alert) by the end of August.
    That would be great.

Andy might go to present the trophy as last year's winner - now that would be good!

I imagine his schedule at the end of the year will depend on when the baby is due

So chance he might be in UK - he could make a trip to Liverpool as long as all was well. He played Davis Cup not that long after Sophia was born.

I don't think Andy would be nominated unless he won US Open. Same Jo. Rightly so too. I know who will be nominated for overseas personality.....
    Andy Murray - more exciting than a carnival weekend in Rio

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by cazza99 View Post
    Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski got nominations from getting to the Wimbledon semis.
    Yeah that shows what the competition was like at the time

and Hawkeye......can't like your comment about Doctor Who enough!!
    Last edited by banskogirl; 17-07-2017 at 22:43.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to banskogirl For This Useful Post:

Hawkeye (17-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    He has got it 3 times. Regardless of what he does or doesn't achieve for the rest of this year, I would hope he has let it be known that he doesn't want his name put forward again. It's somebody else's turn. The 3 he got were richly deserved, but you can have too much of a good thing.
    I have to disagree with this sentiment. For me that's like saying 'I've won Wimby 7 times, so I won't try again because it would be greedy'. If he's better than the rest (and I'm not saying that he is at this moment this year), then I'd be happy to celebrate that again and again.
    Feel your fears........ live your dreams.......

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helen40 For This Useful Post:

banskogirl (18-07-2017), Caro (18-07-2017), jeannie13 (17-07-2017), RosieBear (18-07-2017), WimbledonWestie (17-07-2017)

Challenger Circuit

I sort of agree with you Helen but Andy is also fortunate that he is successful in a very popular sport. There are a lot of very deserving British sportspeople out there who will never be able to command the votes Andy gets just because of the relative popularity of their chosen sport.

The Wimbledon analogy isn't really comparable as it is purely for the best player in a particular sport (at that moment in time), SPOTY is subjective across many sports.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AllyB For This Useful Post:

Teresa (18-07-2017)