Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: DAVIS CUP 1st round - Fan support thread - travel, dinosaurs etc

Re: DAVIS CUP 1st round - Fan support thread - travel, dinosaurs etc

It has just occurred to me that we do not have a planned meal for the trip. My Spanish is limited to a few words so I don't know that I'd be any help, plus it might be too late notice to organise anything. Any ideas? I guess we could always just try and bundle into a place on the night lol

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    It has just occurred to me that we do not have a planned meal for the trip. My Spanish is limited to a few words so I don't know that I'd be any help, plus it might be too late notice to organise anything. Any ideas? I guess we could always just try and bundle into a place on the night lol
    We are up for that Jerry.....unfortunately I have no Spanish either, so would be absolutely useless in helping organise anything....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maud For This Useful Post:

JerryD (Yesterday)

A quick bit of research and I have to say Marbs is far more expensive than I remember though admittedly it's 7 years since we went lol. €10 for a starter anyone? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Happy to go for a group meal but afraid have no spanish so unlikely to be much use in organising!

"Dos cervezas por favor"
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Linda (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    "Dos cervezas por favor"
    When I was working as a waitress in Florence, when Spaniards came in and asked for cervezas I used to direct them to the bathroom because I thought they were asking for 'services'. Was years before I learnt that cervezas meant beer.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

anor (Yesterday), Hawkeye (Yesterday), tinawatt (Today)

You can also try "dos canas" ... which seems to mean a couple of halves of draught lager.
    If you want to order a beer in a Spanish bar you might be tempted to say ‘una cerveza por favor’ and you would be given a bottle of your favourite tipple. To avoid misunderstandings and disappointment, it might be better to ask for the bottle of your choice by name, i. e. ‘una Estrella por favor’ or ‘un San Miguel‘. But, if what you really want is a half a pint, or a draught, you must ask for ‘una caña‘. The expression refers to the cylindrical shape of the glass, I believe.
    I learned Spanish ..?.. years ago and remember the basics. Have bought a couple of phrase books and am spending evenings between now and the 1st February madly trying to revise. Not sure that qualifies me to look for a group eating place though - but as I learned the language when at catering college I guess somewhere in my pea brain are various words relating to 'food'.
    Hasta la vista baby ...
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

tinawatt (Today)

How about habla usted Ingles? Do you speak English?

I can understand quite a bit of written Spanish but spoken is a different matter entirely

However I think in tourist resorts such as Marbella, English is widely spoken.