Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bit of a blog from new'castle!

Re: bit of a blog from new'castle!

And to amuse myself whilst said toenails are drying I'm having a pop at Ben Rothenberg on Twitter on account of his ideas for dumbing down DC. Y'all can join in any time you like ... pretty please.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

Caro (25-09-2017), JAMES4578 (25-09-2017), JerryD (24-09-2017), lynne (24-09-2017), RoastLamb (24-09-2017), Steven (25-09-2017), xenon21 (26-09-2017)

Had a lovely day in Newcastle revisiting some old haunts (shops) and a leisurely lunch in Ask (courtesy Tesco Clubcard, thankyouverymuch). Really quite balmy weather for this time of the year. Found a top in M&S and some 'yerrings and a pair of comfy shoes. Like you do.

Back at the hotel and it was happy hour from 5pm but the bar was mobbed!
    Hadn't realised that Newcastle were playing footie today; against Brighton & Hove Albion.
    The Magpies lost - explains why it was a tad quiet ...
    Had a couple of large glasses of Chenin Blanc (rather good for £3.20 a large one) + tonic water to make it go further ... might have got blue nail varnish where it doesn't belong to be and packing everything in suitcase is proving tricky. It all went in on Friday ...

For those asking last night - the warring couple left on Saturday. Whether it was planned I don't know, I'm not sure if the wedding will still go ahead. I know what I'd do with a bloke who treated me like that ... the words CONCRETE/BURY/DEEP seem to belong in one sentence.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

Alis (24-09-2017), ally (26-09-2017), Caro (25-09-2017), cazza99 (25-09-2017), Genbrit (24-09-2017), hfwardhouse (24-09-2017), JAMES4578 (25-09-2017), JerryD (24-09-2017), karanga (24-09-2017), lynne (24-09-2017), patlowe (24-09-2017), patmoren (24-09-2017), RoastLamb (24-09-2017), Teresa (24-09-2017), WimbledonWestie (24-09-2017), xenon21 (26-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Sallydaisy View Post
    And to amuse myself whilst said toenails are drying I'm having a pop at Ben Rothenberg on Twitter on account of his ideas for dumbing down DC. Y'all can join in any time you like ... pretty please.
    You and me both! Given all the replies, etc, I got (most, though not quite all, pro-DC), he probably didn't know what had hit him ;-)

I think the biggest point the journos tend to miss (probably because they can fly whenever/wherever at the drop of a hat) is the way DC is a unique and special event because when you get a home tie, it's easier to get to most other tennis events and you can be certain of there being someone you really, really want to win in every match, which is very different from the average tournament. It also provides the best opportunity for like-minded fans to get together, though presumably nobody except the fans really cares about that.

Some interesting stuff came out of the conversation about Americans' attitudes to international events, which might explain a lot, in particular why the American new head of the ITF just doesn't seem to 'get it' about DC at all. I've noticed it while I've been here too - it's not that the Americans don't support sport, it's just that they are very parochial about it (big crowds at college games and there were 9000 people at a 3rd division (AA) baseball game I went to recently) but not that much enthusiasm for international events unless they're winning them all the time, or according to one US journalist (who reports very little interest the last time the USA were in the DC final) not even when they are winning.

Anyway, I'm not saying the US attitude to sport is wrong, indeed in some ways it's quite healthy, but if they can't be that bothered with country v country competitions, they shouldn't be allowed to spoil them for the rest of us.

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Useful Post:

ally (26-09-2017), anor (28-09-2017), Caro (25-09-2017), cazza99 (25-09-2017), Elizabeth (26-09-2017), goldfish (25-09-2017), hfwardhouse (25-09-2017), JAMES4578 (25-09-2017), Jan62 (27-09-2017), karanga (25-09-2017), Linda (25-09-2017), lovetennis (26-09-2017), lynne (25-09-2017), patlowe (25-09-2017), patmoren (25-09-2017), RoastLamb (25-09-2017), xenon21 (26-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    You and me both! Given all the replies, etc, I got (most, though not quite all, pro-DC), he probably didn't know what had hit him ;-)

I think the biggest point the journos tend to miss (probably because they can fly whenever/wherever at the drop of a hat) is the way DC is a unique and special event because when you get a home tie, it's easier to get to most other tennis events and you can be certain of there being someone you really, really want to win in every match, which is very different from the average tournament. It also provides the best opportunity for like-minded fans to get together, though presumably nobody except the fans really cares about that.

Some interesting stuff came out of the conversation about Americans' attitudes to international events, which might explain a lot, in particular why the American new head of the ITF just doesn't seem to 'get it' about DC at all. I've noticed it while I've been here too - it's not that the Americans don't support sport, it's just that they are very parochial about it (big crowds at college games and there were 9000 people at a 3rd division (AA) baseball game I went to recently) but not that much enthusiasm for international events unless they're winning them all the time, or according to one US journalist (who reports very little interest the last time the USA were in the DC final) not even when they are winning.

Anyway, I'm not saying the US attitude to sport is wrong, indeed in some ways it's quite healthy, but if they can't be that bothered with country v country competitions, they shouldn't be allowed to spoil them for the rest of us.
    Well done Steven, I'm always having a pop at Ben Rothenberg. What you say about the American attitude to sport is very true. When you see all the half empty stadiums during the US swing and how difficult it is to get tickets for the competitions here, although we don't get many top level ones.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post

That is so so true. We were discussing that very point in Newcastle at the weekend. I have come to prefer DC to Wimbledon because I know exactly who I am going to get to watch and the atmosphere at DC is amazing. But of course, if the chance to go to Wimbledon (or any other tournament) comes along, I certainly wouldn't turn it down! It's all relative!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

Caro (29-09-2017), jagmad (29-09-2017), JAMES4578 (25-09-2017), Jan62 (27-09-2017), lovetennis (26-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by patmoren View Post
    Well done Steven, I'm always having a pop at Ben Rothenberg. What you say about the American attitude to sport is very true. When you see all the half empty stadiums during the US swing and how difficult it is to get tickets for the competitions here, although we don't get many top level ones.
    I've actually met Ben and he's pleasant enough to talk to - intelligent, if a bit over-earnest. Well, he is American! I say that having got to rather like many of the Americans I've met since I've been living here - most are genuinely friendly and quite a few seem interested in Brits (those who realise I am one, some seem to think I'm an Aussie!), to the extent that my wife gets quite miffed that they're far more interested in talking to me about the UK than to her about China when we're out together! LOL But I've done enough sitting in cafés here listening to people telling their life stories and not caring who can hear it to realise that their rep for being a bit over the top at times is quite well-deserved ;-)

I think Ben has ambitions to be a campaigning/scandal-unearthing journalist though and I feel that he does take it too far at times, though to give him his due, he does at least engage with criticism in a reasonable way, unlike, say, the current US President! I also get the impression that he is less anti-Davis Cup than most US journalists (and many British ones), but I do feel that the US media and tennis hierarchy simply doesn't get DC at all, which is why having Haggerty at the top of the ITF is a worry.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Useful Post:

Caro (29-09-2017), goldfish (26-09-2017), lynne (26-09-2017), RoastLamb (25-09-2017)

Wasn't it Ben Rothenberg who first accused Neil Harman of plagiarism?

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Pretty sure it was

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Yes, it was. Clearly Neil did something wrong but the fact he'd only done it with the Wimbledon annuals, never with his Times articles, etc, makes me think that not making all the attributions was probably more slapdash than deliberate, or that there was some misunderstanding with Wimbledon over what could be used without attribution - things like this often look more cut and dried with hindsight than they ever felt to the people concerned at the time. So the ill-concealed, self-righteous glee with which Ben went after Neil on this made me very uncomfortable (to put it euphemistically)

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Useful Post:

Caro (29-09-2017), Elizabeth (27-09-2017), Linda (26-09-2017), lynne (26-09-2017), Mickey (26-09-2017), RoastLamb (26-09-2017), Sallydaisy (30-09-2017)