Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray Live - Tuesday Nov 7th 2017 - event thread

Challenger Circuit

Re: Andy Murray Live - Tuesday Nov 7th 2017 - event thread

I've never been Fed's biggest fan but watching on TV, Andy spoke to him at the last changeover (7-5 Fed) and I can't help thinking that Andy maybe told him to go for it. There were a couple of points towards the end of the second set too where Andy hit the net after Fed appeared to set the point up for him. Maybe I'm just getting generous in my old age but I didn't have a problem with the spirit in which the match was played.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AllyB For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-11-2017), ally (09-11-2017), Caro (10-11-2017), Gary D (08-11-2017), patlowe (08-11-2017), RosieBear (08-11-2017), Silverdee (08-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by AllyB View Post
    I've never been Fed's biggest fan but watching on TV, Andy spoke to him at the last changeover (7-5 Fed) and I can't help thinking that Andy maybe told him to go for it. There were a couple of points towards the end of the second set too where Andy hit the net after Fed appeared to set the point up for him. Maybe I'm just getting generous in my old age but I didn't have a problem with the spirit in which the match was played.
    Ah, I didn't see that. Yeah, they clearly get on well and there was a great vibe between them, which is why I was a bit baffled, but that would explain it and typical of Andy to step aside.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Caro (10-11-2017)

Pro Player

I am not a fan of Federer but I thought he set up a quite a few points for Andy to win but he just couldn't do it. I think Federer was being very generous and did not play the way he can play.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-11-2017), Josephine (08-11-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I am not a fan of Federer but I thought he set up a quite a few points for Andy to win but he just couldn't do it. I think Federer was being very generous and did not play the way he can play.
    No I could see that, but it wouldn’t have hurt him to extend that generosity to a few more points. All he had to do was chuck in a few double faults. One could also question whether he was actually being generous, when the whole point of it the exercise was to showcase Murray and his charity match, just as it was in Federer’s own charity match. Federer chose to win. He could equally have chosen to lose, which is my eyes would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. He didn’t. Anyone with even my limited knowledge could see the second set was rigged. Had AM won, not even his most deluded fan would have believed it was a proper victory. It would however have made them happy. I still think Federer came out of it badly. The win at all costs mentality is undoubtedly why he has 19 Grand Slams, but give me AM any day. Federer is a modern day Dorian Gray to me.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

clancy (08-11-2017), Jan62 (09-11-2017), jeannie13 (10-11-2017), karanga (08-11-2017)

I'm not remotely a Fed fan but couldn't fault him last night. I think most of the crowd were there to see 2 of the top 4 play a competitive tennis match with a bit of a laugh thrown in. There was no doubt that 80% of the match was as competitive as it could be. I think more questions would've been asked if Fed had actually lost to someone playing his first match in 4 months.

I enjoyed it and there was no doubt that Fed was somewhat surprised at times (notably that backhand pass) by the level Andy was playing at.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sir coolerking For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-11-2017), Caro (10-11-2017), Elizabeth (09-11-2017), HoopGirl (08-11-2017), lynne (08-11-2017), patlowe (08-11-2017), Silverdee (08-11-2017)

I think if Andy had felt up to 3 sets followed by doubles then he would have won, and was forced to make the decision mid-match.
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

I thought Fed was pretty good throughout the whole evening. When they spoke at 7-5 in the tie-break that was when he gave Andy the Jimmy wig. He was up 7-5 so why would Andy have to say 'go for it.' He could just have tanked the points.

Fact is Andy hardly got a first serve in in the tie break apart from one great ace and missed some easy shots so Federer maybe couldn't lose!

Think they arrange the 2 sets and then go all out in the tiebreak.

Apart from all that, Andy played so much better than I expected - was so great to see him hitting the ball really hard and making some great shots. I enjoyed the whole thing but a shame the doubles was so short - guess Andy needed some recovery time with the physio.

When I saw Andy play at the beginning of 2017, I could not believe how passive he was being and I didn't have great thoughts for the year ahead. So really good to see him being aggressive and playing with purpose. Hope he plays like that against everyone.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josephine For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-11-2017), HoopGirl (09-11-2017)

I see Andrew Castle is rather less than positive about what he saw on the Beeb Website.

I thought the event was played in great spirit from both of them and I warmed to Federer quite a bit as a result ( I've always enjoyed watching his tennis and it's not his fault the commentators gush all over him and his fans are nuts. ) Definitely felt he set some points up that Andy didn't take advantage of. I've no issues with the outcome.

As fov Castke's comments- yes Andy was hesitant in his movements at times but I'd say there was a huge difference from his last couple of matches at Wimbledon. And loved the aggression.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WimbledonWestie For This Useful Post:

Alis (08-11-2017), angiebabez (08-11-2017), Jan62 (09-11-2017), patlowe (08-11-2017)

ATP Ace!

I, too, am no Fed fan, although I do think he has been less arrogant of late than he once was. Normally, I would agree with you, Teresa, but I am more than happy with the result last night. I think it would have looked like an obvious fix if Andy had beaten the very much in-form player while playing his first match in five months. Of course, we know that sharing the first two sets was probably prearranged but it didn't look as obvious as it would have done had Andy won. I don't think the result mattered one jot - it was a very entertaining evening and, hopefully, raised a lot of money for Andy's two charities.
    Last edited by Alis; 08-11-2017 at 17:42.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alis For This Useful Post:

Caro (10-11-2017), Elizabeth (09-11-2017), Gary D (08-11-2017), Jan62 (09-11-2017), patlowe (08-11-2017), Silverdee (08-11-2017), WimbledonWestie (08-11-2017)