Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 142

Thread: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

  1. #1

    Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Hi all, we are looking ahead past this year to adventures for next year. I was looking through trip advisor and I thought people on here maybe trips they are thinking of going,or have been on. They may have places they can suggest or review. Companies they've used or hotels they've stayed in etc. Or just be looking for hints, suggestions and inspiration.

  2. #2

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    We used audley travel to put our Peruvian adventure together. Usually I do it myself but it was so easy having someone else do all the work and less stressful. They were fantastic and helped when there were strikes and things beyond their control. I would travel with them again but they are expensive. They are worth it. But for next year we are looking to spend a lot less.

    So it will be put together myself or maybe be a cheaper alternative agent. Does anyone have an agent they liked? I don't know anyone who has used on the go tours, I looked at them.

  3. #3
    Moderator RosieBear's Avatar
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,021

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Hi all, we are looking ahead past this year to adventures for next year. I was looking through trip advisor and I thought people on here maybe trips they are thinking of going,or have been on. They may have places they can suggest or review. Companies they've used or hotels they've stayed in etc. Or just be looking for hints, suggestions and inspiration.
    My brother and his wife are off on honeymoon on Saturday. The are traveling across Canada. Flying to Vancouver, train through the Rockies (one of those with viewing platform), flying up from Winnipeg to Churchill for the famous polar bear experience -the bears come right into the town and mooch around. They're also going to a couple of national parks, in Jasper and Banff. It all looks incredible, simply out of this world. My brother is a keen photographer so will no doubt take lots of pics. I'll post some when they get back.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

    Caro (11-10-2017), JerryD (09-10-2017)

  5. #4
    Super Moderator Hawkeye's Avatar
    Location
    Brechin
    Posts
    6,456

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    My mum and dad hired a motorhome and drove across Canada.
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

  6. #5

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    My brother and his wife are off on honeymoon on Saturday. The are traveling across Canada. Flying to Vancouver, train through the Rockies (one of those with viewing platform), flying up from Winnipeg to Churchill for the famous polar bear experience -the bears come right into the town and mooch around. They're also going to a couple of national parks, in Jasper and Banff. It all looks incredible, simply out of this world. My brother is a keen photographer so will no doubt take lots of pics. I'll post some when they get back.
    That sounds amazing, I haven't heard of the polar bear experience. I'll be having a nose looking forward to seeing the photos

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryD For This Useful Post:

    RosieBear (11-10-2017)

  8. #6

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    My brother and his wife are off on honeymoon on Saturday. The are traveling across Canada. Flying to Vancouver, train through the Rockies (one of those with viewing platform), flying up from Winnipeg to Churchill for the famous polar bear experience -the bears come right into the town and mooch around. They're also going to a couple of national parks, in Jasper and Banff. It all looks incredible, simply out of this world. My brother is a keen photographer so will no doubt take lots of pics. I'll post some when they get back.
    They'll have a great time, did a similar trip a couple of years ago. I love Jasper in particular and they should do some white water rafting there which is great fun as well as walking up Mount Edith Cavell to see the glacier. Banff a little more touristy.

    If they're feeling fit enough they should take on The Grind up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver - it nearly killed me!!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to sir coolerking For This Useful Post:

    RosieBear (10-10-2017)

  10. #7
    ATP Ace! Linda's Avatar
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    9,369

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    One of my most enjoyable holidays was a winter activity holiday in Slovakia. It involved dog sledding, skiing (both downhill and cross country), snow shoeing, hiking in the mountains and swimming in thermal pools.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

    JerryD (10-10-2017), RosieBear (11-10-2017)

  12. #8
    Challenger Circuit
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,273

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by sir coolerking View Post
    If they're feeling fit enough they should take on The Grind up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver - it nearly killed me!!
    I did that when I was in Canada but it was many years ago when I was younger and fitter. I'd still give it a go though, never one to be defeated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    One of my most enjoyable holidays was a winter activity holiday in Slovakia. It involved dog sledding, skiing (both downhill and cross country), snow shoeing, hiking in the mountains and swimming in thermal pools.
    Oh that sounds great Linda. I am looking at winter short breaks for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. It's in December so perfect for winter stuff. I was looking at northern lights locations though but Slovakia would be a lot cheaper if we were willing to forgo the chance of the lights

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

    JerryD (11-10-2017)

  14. #9
    Challenger Circuit
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,273

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    My mum and dad hired a motorhome and drove across Canada.
    Always fancied doing that in New Zealand. Now that is somewhere I would LOVE to go to.

  15. #10

    Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Oh that sounds great Linda. I am looking at winter short breaks for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. It's in December so perfect for winter stuff. I was looking at northern lights locations though but Slovakia would be a lot cheaper if we were willing to forgo the chance of the lights
    Iceland was amazing for a winter holiday we saw the northern lights and many waterfalls and beautiful landscapes. It was bitterly cold. - if you are photographing the northern lights keep a spare camera battery in your glove so it stays warms as the cold kills the charge, really quickly.

    We got the flights cheap with easyjet. I don't know if they go through brum. We didn't have the time or money for a hire car so instead got some tours from Reykjavik on Viator. If you go on a northern lights trip with gray line in Iceland and don't see the lights you get a voucher for another trip. We planned a trip to glacial lagoon (an overnight), but when we reached vik, a hurricane was hitting full force. They knew people continuing would have to stay in vik and not continue the trip for a day, to wait for it to pass. Sadly we had a flight two days later so there wasnt time for one night in vik and one near jokulsurlon. So we had to turn back. The agency arranged everything though. Taking us back to Reykjavik and giving us the money back for the entire trip even though we'd had a days worth of it. That was extreme Iceland.

    We got our hotel from booking.com for a great price. It was about 20 minutes walk from the centre but it was a nice walk.we want to go back to Iceland for a summer walking and whale watching trip its on the endless list.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JerryD For This Useful Post:

    anor (11-10-2017), Caro (12-10-2017), patlowe (11-10-2017), RosieBear (11-10-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •