Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

Re: Holidays and travel discussion and recommendations

Iceland sounds fab!! I really want to go there, especially after watching the BBC4 drama 'Trapped'. You have whetted my appetite Jerry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

JerryD (11-10-2017)

I've been wanting to go to Iceland for ages. I love snow and ice. I did the Hurtigruten voyage up the coast of Norway a few years ago. Sadly the weather was too bad to see the Northern Lights but it was still an amazing trip.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

JerryD (11-10-2017)

Challenger Circuit

I spent 3 weeks backpacking round Iceland one summer. It’s a truly amazing place. Saw whales and Dolphins. I love swimming in warm water so it suited me down to the ground. I managed to get sunstroke there. I had wanted to go since Blue Peter did one of their summer expeditions there when I was a child. Managed to get across the interior. Can really recommend it.

Went in summer so no Northern Lights, but got those one Autumn in the Outer Hebrides.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

JerryD (11-10-2017), patlowe (12-10-2017)

We went in February 2015 as the start of an amazing year of holidays for my 30th topped off with the final of the DC in Belgium. I'd go back again in the winter as the hurricane meant we couldn't see the glacial lagoon or hike the glacier. There is an iPhone app you can download to help predict the northern lights in areas of icelenad during your trip and a little before. It was really good. We stayed in 22 hill hotel in Reykjavik. I would recommend it. We got a great deal so didn't pay full price.

That year we followed Iceland with a little easyJet and booking.com trip over my birthday in the August. We went to nice and took the train to Monte Carlo one day, boat to st tropez and boat to Cannes. It was a busy few days but really good. The beach there was nice too. It's pebbles but they are large and smooth. It was boiling. We ate in a fancy restaurant famous for its famous guests, when in Cannes. It was my birthday and we felt a little out of our depth surrounded by glamourus folk but the food was fantastic. Nice is such a good base as it's much cheaper than the others places but you can travel to th easily. I didn't realise until we got there that the beach at Cannes is sandy. I love the beach and the sea I would have spent more time there rather than st tropez. We did the touristy catamaran thing which was fun. All in with easyJet and a booking.com hotel a nice walk from the the town centre. We stayed in the hotel nice Riviera which I would recommend but we didn't pay full price. We got an awesome deal on that one too

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryD For This Useful Post:

patlowe (12-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I spent 3 weeks backpacking round Iceland one summer. It’s a truly amazing place. Saw whales and Dolphins. I love swimming in warm water so it suited me down to the ground. I managed to get sunstroke there. I had wanted to go since Blue Peter did one of their summer expeditions there when I was a child. Managed to get across the interior. Can really recommend it.

Went in summer so no Northern Lights, but got those one Autumn in the Outer Hebrides.
    That sounds amazing, Kev will be really jealous. It's on the list lol

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    That sounds amazing, Kev will be really jealous. It's on the list lol

It was. I went onto the lagoon, and did the boat trip, and did a 4*4 trip up onto the Glacier, (hiking is beyond me). I also rode an Icelandic pony, over some fairly rough terrain. I almost got run over twice, firstly by a wild stallion when I was sitting up on a hillside, and secondly when I didn’t look where I was going in a car park watching the eclipse.

I think the most awesome bit was the 3 hours I spent on the beach at Vik. I couldn’t get my head round the fact the sand was black, even though I understood the reason. The Blue Lagoon was another great experience.

I did it via backpackers hostels and a full circular bus pass.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

Caro (12-10-2017), JerryD (12-10-2017), patlowe (12-10-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Your trip sounds amazing Teresa! I have a massive urge to travel, always have, probably always will. We did a fair bit when we were young but hubby is now not interested in the slightest (he doesn't like leaving the dogs and is happy just to stay in the UK). Means I have wanderlust and a BIG list which once we don't have to work any more, I intend to tackle either alone or with any friend I can persuade. At the moment having to take time from work, holidays are all spent either with hubby or doing tennis stuff. When there's no work there will be more time .... that's the theory. If it all changes so be it. I can live with it. I really enjoy my UK holidays walking with hubby and the dogs. We can't always have everything we want and I consider myself pretty fortunate in life.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

clancy (12-10-2017), JerryD (12-10-2017), patlowe (12-10-2017), Teresa (12-10-2017), themass15 (13-10-2017)

When we get our dog, we have family who have dogs who can baby sit but we will reduce the number of trips we do, dramatically. The UK is beautiful too. For our 15 year anniversary next year we are looking at Borneo. But I think tha will be the only abroad trip with the exception of how ever many rounds of DC we get too. We plan to spend more time in Scotland or see Ireland next year. With a name like mine you'd expect that I'd been to Ireland but I haven't lol. Anyway we will be looking for dog friendly places then fingers crossed. Besides I'm hoping Kev lets me name the dog Doyle so he'd fit right in. He likes Watson but that's clearly a retriever name

Anyway yesterday I got a Borneo travel guide to start having a nose. I know all the info is available on the web but I like to have a book!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryD For This Useful Post:

Caro (13-10-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Your trip sounds amazing Teresa! I have a massive urge to travel, always have, probably always will. We did a fair bit when we were young but hubby is now not interested in the slightest (he doesn't like leaving the dogs and is happy just to stay in the UK). Means I have wanderlust and a BIG list which once we don't have to work any more, I intend to tackle either alone or with any friend I can persuade. At the moment having to take time from work, holidays are all spent either with hubby or doing tennis stuff. When there's no work there will be more time .... that's the theory. If it all changes so be it. I can live with it. I really enjoy my UK holidays walking with hubby and the dogs. We can't always have everything we want and I consider myself pretty fortunate in life.
    I knew with my hips being as they are I had to do things earlier, now with the Rheumatoid and deafness I am reluctant to travel alone these days. I would still love to do Alaska, Antarctica and Faroe, (not sure why Faroe). It has to be said though that of the places I have been to Scotland still wins hands down. I am fortunate that I have people who are happy to have Madam. Hoping for Shetland again next summer.

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I knew with my hips being as they are I had to do things earlier, now with the Rheumatoid and deafness I am reluctant to travel alone these days. I would still love to do Alaska, Antarctica and Faroe, (not sure why Faroe). It has to be said though that of the places I have been to Scotland still wins hands down. I am fortunate that I have people who are happy to have Madam. Hoping for Shetland again next summer.
    Re: Scotland, we have been to the Trossachs, Rannoch Moor area, Skye and Mull. Would love to explore more. Where have you been and where would you recommend? Scottish folk, please feel free to join in