Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-offs Support thread - Speculation, travels, info etc.

Re: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-offs Support thread - Speculation, travels, info etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WimbledonWestie View Post
    Me too, that Argentina match seems a long time ago! I have no option but to work Friday and Monday so need the tie somewhere I can get to - and get home on the Sunday - without missing too much of the tennis. Having to leave Andy's match v nishikori at the start of the fifth in order to catch flight home from Birmingham was torture., Away ties in term time definitely not happening.
    You might get your wish - Emirates Arena is available. Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham have events either on the weekend or in the week running up to it.

Re: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-offs Support thread - Speculation, travels, info etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lovetennis View Post
    You might get your wish - Emirates Arena is available. Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham have events either on the weekend or in the week running up to it.
    Groan. There's kind of a reason why Emirates is always available - if the speculation is starting early then so is my carping!

Edit: that said James did brilliantly with transport for the last Glasgow tie, really made a world of difference
    Last edited by RosieBear; 04-02-2018 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    Groan. There's kind of a reason why Emirates is always available - if the speculation is starting early then so is my carping!
    I know what you mean but once I'm in there I love the atmosphere in the Emirates. I know it's a long trek for those of you in the south though. Not too bad for me as I'm about half way up the country. Keep wishing for another Liverpool tie but the arena has The League of Gentlemen on for 2 nights

By home tie I'm happy with uk tho obviously Glasgow would be my preference to save me missing any of the Sunday tennis - have sometimes made some of the Friday too- though the obliging staff member who helped that happen has moved on to pastures new but it's up for consideration while matches are best of 5. I'll content myself with praying for home tie first then start praying re the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by lovetennis View Post
    I know what you mean but once I'm in there I love the atmosphere in the Emirates. I know it's a long trek for those of you in the south though. Not too bad for me as I'm about half way up the country. Keep wishing for another Liverpool tie but the arena has The League of Gentlemen on for 2 nights
    It's not the distance, it's the total lack of transport links, but as I edited above the minibus James organised last time really improved things. I don't mind long walks, but not everyone can manage it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (04-02-2018), JerryD (05-02-2018)

Edit: that said James did brilliantly with transport for the last Glasgow tie, really made a world of difference
    They've also improved the train service to Dalmarnock- they now run on a Sunday. Had to queue up for a bit on the return journey but it soon moved and they were very organised at loading people onto the platform and train.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (04-02-2018), JerryD (05-02-2018), RosieBear (04-02-2018)

It's not the distance, it's the total lack of transport links, but as I edited above the minibus James organised last time really improved things. I don't mind long walks, but not everyone can manage it.
    I do agree with you there, the transport links are pretty rubbish considering that even before the arena was built there a regularly 60000 football fans in the area on a regular basis.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WimbledonWestie For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (04-02-2018), RosieBear (04-02-2018)

Whilst trains run on Sunday they stop relatively early, just checked and last one is 6.09 PM. Looking like could well be Emirates if home tie, however won't be organising transport just yet . of course LTA won't be booking any venue before opponents known.
    Last edited by JAMES4578; 04-02-2018 at 16:49.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

RosieBear (04-02-2018)

Queen's Club?
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Queen's Club?
    Principality Stadium Cardiff

(don't know how to check availability past July so don't know if available, but fantastic venue)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

JerryD (05-02-2018), themass15 (04-02-2018)