Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-offs Support thread - Speculation, travels, info etc.

Re: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-offs Support thread - Speculation, travels, info etc.

Ok I've done my best to work out potential opponents and whether they would be a home or away match. These teams have another round to play in April which will cut down the potential opponents to 8 teams, but the present 16 potential opponents are

Argentina away
    Chile away
    Colombia (never played before so coin toss to decide)
    Brazil away
    India away
    China (never played before)
    Pakistan (never played before)
    Uzbekistan (never played before)
    Czech R home
    Israel away
    Portugal away
    Sweden away
    Bosnia/Hertzegovina away
    Slovakia away
    Austria away
    Russia away

Not a lot of home potential and some very far flung away possibilities. Safe to say I'l be cheering on the Czechs in April
    Last edited by lovetennis; 04-02-2018 at 17:12.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

Alis (04-02-2018), ally (04-02-2018), cloudy (04-02-2018), GillyD (04-02-2018), Hawkeye (04-02-2018), JAMES4578 (04-02-2018), patlowe (04-02-2018), RosieBear (04-02-2018), roytennisfan (05-02-2018), Silverdee (04-02-2018)

Re: Davis Cup 2018 World Group Play-offs Support thread - Speculation, travels, info etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lovetennis View Post
    Ok I've done my best to work out potential opponents and whether they would be a home or away match. These teams have another round to play in April which will cut down the potential opponents to 8 teams, but the present 16 potential opponents are

Argentina away
    Chile away
    Brazil away
    India away
    Czech R home
    Israel away
    Portugal away
    Sweden away
    Bosnia/Hertzegovina away
    Slovakia away
    Austria away
    Russia away

Not a lot of home potential and some very far flung away possibilities. Safe to say I'l be cheering on the Czechs in April
    Thanks very much for this, lt. Eeek, not looking too hopeful for a home tie or even short hop away, but you never know - fingers tightly crossed.

Ouch!
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

Hope I've done it right - the Wikipedia page was easier to understand than the official DC page for the Group 1 results. The home/away info is taken from the official DC website based on where the teams played each other last time.
    I'm pretty sure it's correct but hopefully someone more used to tracking this stuff will confirm. Hawkeye was correct, we will be seeded so get to avoid the likes of Switzerland, Serbia & Australia

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

Alis (04-02-2018)

I hope you've got it horribly wrong, but I'm sure you haven't!
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I hope you've got it horribly wrong, but I'm sure you haven't!
    So do I! I really hope someone says it's wrong but I checked it 3 times, hoping it would turn out better. It certainly couldn't be much worse

Junior Tour

Quote Originally Posted by lovetennis View Post

Argentina away
    Chile away
    Brazil away
    India away
    Czech R home
    Israel away
    Portugal away
    Sweden away
    Bosnia/Hertzegovina away
    Slovakia away
    Austria away
    Russia away

GB will be seeded for the play-off draw.
    My understanding is that the seedings for the play-off are based on DC rankings so Argentina would definitely also be seeded, possible that Czech R and Russia could be (if they win their Group I matches)
    I think Hungary, Netherlands & Japan could then become unseeded nations in the play-off draw

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JimmyG For This Useful Post:

Hawkeye (04-02-2018), Jan62 (04-02-2018), JerryD (05-02-2018), lovetennis (04-02-2018), patlowe (04-02-2018), RosieBear (04-02-2018)

Fingers crossed the Czechs don't get seeded then!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

JimmyG (04-02-2018), RosieBear (04-02-2018)

ATP Ace!

Thanks for that lt - the team may well have to manage without their usual vociferous support!