BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WIMBLEDON - 2nd-15th July 2018 - Main thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WIMBLEDON - 2nd-15th July 2018 - Main thread

Wimbledon 2018. Main men's thread.

Re: WIMBLEDON - 2nd-15th July 2018 - Main thread

So many people are surprised that dan Evans didn’t get a wild card for wimbie I don’t get it, it is the way the operate, I would have been surprised if he got one. I don’t mean to say he doesn’t deserve one or should still be punished, I think he’s served his time. But I think it’s strange that people expected Wimbledon to go against previous decisions just because he is British. Perhaps I’m too in favour of fairness, it annoys me when some majors (not naming any 1) are to weighted in favour of their home players. I’m sure if wimbie would have compromised itself by going against previous decisions there would be a lot of complaints.

I’m also confident that dan has put in the work and can get through and even into the main draw on his own. He doesn’t need a helping hand. Good luck to dan.

Jay and Liam have been given wildcards so I’m happy for them. Hopefully jay can have a better match than at queens.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JerryD For This Useful Post:

Alis (24-06-2018), Reef (23-06-2018), RoastLamb (29-06-2018), Rosalind (06-07-2018), RosieBear (21-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    So many people are surprised that dan Evans didn’t get a wild card for wimbie I don’t get it, it is the way the operate, I would have been surprised if he got one. I don’t mean to say he doesn’t deserve one or should still be punished, I think he’s served his time. But I think it’s strange that people expected Wimbledon to go against previous decisions just because he is British. Perhaps I’m too in favour of fairness, it annoys me when some majors (not naming any 1) are to weighted in favour of their home players. I’m sure if wimbie would have compromised itself by going against previous decisions there would be a lot of complaints.

I’m also confident that dan has put in the work and can get through and even into the main draw on his own. He doesn’t need a helping hand. Good luck to dan.

Jay and Liam have been given wildcards so I’m happy for them. Hopefully jay can have a better match than at queens.
    Well said - can't be too in favour of fairness, so good for you Jerry. I'm exactly the same, and could never go easier on Dan just because he's a cheeky likable Brit rather than a cold hard to like Russian, for instance. To me that's irrelevant. Wrong is wrong. I admire Wimbledon for their consistency and feel their stance should be universal. I want Dan to be allowed to move on and not be reminded constantly of his mistake, but then I always said the same about other players long before Dan's transgression. Like you I totally believe Dan can come back the right way and wish him nothing but luck as he does so.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Alis (24-06-2018), JerryD (21-06-2018), Josephine (21-06-2018), Mickey (21-06-2018)

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post

No, not surprised but I am disappointed they didn't offer one into qualies. I get all the "ethics" stuff, and I know Wimby are different to British tennis as a whole but it just doesn't sit right with me that it seems to be one rule for one and another for a big star. I'm probably in a minority. I've just had a lengthy argument / discussion with Kris Soutar on twitter about it. He's all "holier than thou" of course and assured me that "no one would agree with me" and it was "unethical" and matters not whether the drug was performance enhancing or not. I beg to differ on that point but I do understand why Wimby have done it. To be fair to them they have been consistent but people just see it all as British tennis don't they? That's the problem ...
    Last edited by Caro; 21-06-2018 at 08:49.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (22-06-2018), JerryD (21-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    No, not surprised but I am disappointed they didn't offer one into qualies. I get all the "ethics" stuff, and I know Wimby are different to British tennis as a whole but it just doesn't sit right with me that it seems to be one rule for one and another for a big star. I'm probably in a minority. I've just had a lengthy argument / discussion with Kris Soutar on twitter about it. He's all "holier than thou" of course and assured me that "no one would agree with me" and it was "unethical" and matters not whether the drug was performance enhancing or not. I beg to differ on that point but I do understand why Wimby have done it. To be fair to them they have been consistent but people just see it all as British tennis don't they? That's the problem ...
    Charming. Matters not one bit who agrees with you or not - it's your opinion, end of. Dan's lucky to have you as a fan.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Caro (21-06-2018), roytennisfan (21-06-2018)

I agree with all of you on this. I do think he should however have got a WC card into Qualifying. There are only two who go forward from pre Qualifying to Qualifying. I shall be very surprised if Dan isn’t one of them. That to me is not punishing Dan, but the others like Marcus, who have an outside chance of getting into Qualifying. It’s potentially reduced their chances by 50%.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

anor (21-06-2018), Caro (21-06-2018), exislander (21-06-2018), Genbrit (21-06-2018), JerryD (21-06-2018), Reef (23-06-2018), RosieBear (21-06-2018), roytennisfan (21-06-2018), Silverdee (21-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I agree with all of you on this. I do think he should however have got a WC card into Qualifying. There are only two who go forward from pre Qualifying to Qualifying. I shall be very surprised if Dan isn’t one of them. That to me is not punishing Dan, but the others like Marcus, who have an outside chance of getting into Qualifying. It’s potentially reduced their chances by 50%.
    Yes, the person who should really be complaining is Tom Farquharson, seeded 3 in pre-qualifying but in Dan's half of the draw with only one place available (and Marcus Willis's chance of getting into qualifying now indeed heavily reduced!) https://lta.tournamentsoftware.com/s...ABFB52D&draw=1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaysee For This Useful Post:

Caro (26-06-2018), roytennisfan (21-06-2018)

For discussion of prequalifying and qualifying there is a thread here -http://www.andymurrayfanforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3393-WIMBLEDON-2018-Qualifying&p=251191#post251191

They have not named all the wild cards for the men yet so you never know if they could issue wild cards for more brits later on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

roytennisfan (21-06-2018)

Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Yes, the person who should really be complaining is Tom Farquharson, seeded 3 in pre-qualifying but in Dan's half of the draw with only one place available (and Marcus Willis's chance of getting into qualifying now indeed heavily reduced!) https://lta.tournamentsoftware.com/s...ABFB52D&draw=1
    Tom got ko'd in the first round but Marcus will face Dan in the second and you wonder why he didn't get a wc into qualifying if he still has his boots!

Berdych withdrawn with back injury.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

anor (24-06-2018), JAMES4578 (24-06-2018), pabbers (27-06-2018), patlowe (24-06-2018)