Sir Andy Murray, OBE. World No 1
Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016

Thread: Which landline ...

Which landline ...

Hi all, I need to set up a 'landline' phone and organise internet/broadband/wifi supply. This is at my new pad in Devon, currently using smart phone and 4G but really need 'proper' phone set up.

In the past I've automatically gone to BT - who are the worst utility company to deal with ever.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions for suppliers/deals/packages?
    I get bewildered by all the different 'offers' hence the BT default.

All I want is basic landline, cheap/free call package and, most importantly, good internet connection via Superfast Broadband for watching tennis on laptop! (no smart TV alas).

All/any suggestions gratefully received!
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

Re: Which landline ...

I'd go on the comparison websites. You put your postcode in and they spit out options for you.
    Feel your fears........ live your dreams.......

I become unhinged if my internet acesss is kyboshed. I have been with Sky Broadband for donkeys years now, and rarely have any problems with it. Sky usually have some good offers about. So you could try it at not much risk.

I have the “free” daytime calls included and also pay a supplement for free anytime calls. I can watch sport on my iPad, so I assume the broadband is fast enough.

Broadband speeds generally have little to do with your provider, though.
    Hawkeye always has the last word.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Linda (08-11-2018)

Challenger Circuit

I'd suggest having a look at Money Expert.com's website where there is a utilities section. It does all the hard work for you and it is upfront about its relationships with the companies compared.

Yes, Hawkeye is right, your broadband speed depends on how far you are from the green box. No matter who your provider is, they all use the BT lines. I switched from EE to Talk Talk last year as they were slightly cheaper.

You will need to find out the broadband speeds for your area. Some may use their own bundle for fibre in the green box (think Sky does this) and most other providers may rent off BT.

When we had Sky in the village we got better service than BT as they had their own equipment in the green box, but they were not that cheap on landline calls. You will still be using the BT phone lines from the green box with Sky. There was also a better customer service than BT as in the village the speeds to the house were not quite optimal and Sky made sure BT got the lines got fixed, trees trimmed etc. wheras the BT engineer told me he did not think BT would go as far if we had been with BT.

I use Talktalk. Not so good on customer services, but I get a very good package with both the fibre broadband and the telephone calls. Whenever I have reseached out the deals Talktalk has always been cheapest for me because I like unlimited landline calls any time of day which is what they are good for. Also quite good if you want to make a lot of phonecalls outside the UK as they have an international top up thingy.