Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Andy announces plan to retire

Re: Andy announces plan to retire

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    We have no plans to stop. There is more to Andy than his tennis, for one thing, and the community we have built up over the years can continue to have a place to touch base and organise things, whether it be socially or tournaments attendance. Of course, anyone who has visited the site during the time of Andy's hiatus will have noticed how quiet it has been, we acknowledge that, but we will remain here whilst there is even the slightest desire amongst our posters for us to do so.
    And don't forget that this forum is for Jamie too, who hopefully has many years of playing tennis to come.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (14-01-2019), JerryD (16-01-2019), karanga (15-01-2019), Linda (14-01-2019), lynne (14-01-2019), patlowe (15-01-2019), Sallydaisy (14-01-2019), Teresa (14-01-2019)

In his post match interview after playing Bautista Agut Andy says "if" it is his last match. If he was to play again then it would mean more surgery (with no guarrantees he could play again or something like that).
    Last edited by cazza99; 14-01-2019 at 21:10. Reason: edited

Quote Originally Posted by cazza99 View Post
    In his post match interview after playing Bautista Agut Andy says "if" it is his last match. If he was to play again then it would mean more surgery (with no guarrantees or something like that).
    I took it to mean after he's had his op & done rehab, could be wrong but sure that's what he said!
    "Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"

BBC - Andy Murray: Did we all just retire the Briton too soon?

To be fair, the Briton told reporters on Friday that he plans to retire after this year's Wimbledon, but the Australian Open could be the final tournament of his career.

Fast-forward to Monday and the Scot is telling the world he isn't done just yet.

Immediately after his first-round defeat by Roberto Bautista Agut, Murray told Mark Petchey - the on-court interviewer and Murray's first professional coach - "If this was my last match, it was an amazing way to end."

Key word there: "If..."

"Maybe I'll see you again. I'll do everything possible to try," he continued.

"If I want to go again, I'll need to have a big operation, which there's no guarantee I'll be able to come back from anyway, but I'll give it my best shot."

Unfortunately for the organisers of the Aussie Open, his announcement was poorly timed...

They had compiled and planned to run a heartfelt and emotional VT, featuring tear-jerking 'congratulations on your retirement' messages from Rafael Nadal, Caroline Wozniacki, Novak Djokovic and other top players.

Given the effort the organisers had gone to, they decided to go ahead and play it, in spite of what Murray had just said.

Of course, people on social media reacted to the slightly awkward moment...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

JAMES4578 (14-01-2019), karanga (15-01-2019), Mandiemoo (15-01-2019)