Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supporting Andy in Mallorca

Re: Supporting Andy in Mallorca

Maureen, that proves beyond doubt what we already knew about Andy. So glad you had that experience. And so glad Andy is in a good place again. It's heart warming. Also heart warming is that with each passing day, we learn that Andy has signed up for more and more events. The future is definitely bright.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

anor (15-09-2019), clancy (14-09-2019), exislander (14-09-2019), Genbrit (14-09-2019), jeannie13 (14-09-2019), lovetennis (14-09-2019), lynne (14-09-2019), Mickey (14-09-2019), supergran (14-09-2019)

Really enjoying reading this SG. Saw the photo on Twitter and how happy Andy looked but Andy insisting "the lady first" is just great. What a gent and really shows his appreciation of the time and effort you put in to supporting him

I laughed out loud at the "Not Davis Cup" reference - what a great name for it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

supergran (15-09-2019)

What a fantastic read, loved it! Anyone would think you'd worked as an English teacher or something.
    Andy Murray is for life, not just for Wimbledon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mandiemoo For This Useful Post:

supergran (15-09-2019)

Challenger Circuit

Absolutely loving reading your blog Maureen! So glad you got to talk to andy and get your picture with him. And of course watch him play

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xenon21 For This Useful Post:

supergran (15-09-2019)

Wednesday was the first night I got back to my hotel at a reasonable hour. There were a dozen or so people sitting on the covered terrace. I went to the bar and bought a glass of Cava and sat down.

It was about 10.45 and suddenly I noticed hotel staff coming out. I watched in astonishment as the canopy was rolled open. Then all the outside lights were switched off. One member of staff then came out with a tray of plastic glasses into which he poured everyone's drinks, taking away our glasses. The bar closed dead on 11 o'clock. It was quite clear that we were no longer welcome. I asked one young man the reason as we were residents and his answer was that the boss wanted everything clean and tidy for the morning. I then asked him who his boss was and he told me it was the chef!

Just a few yards away accessed by a bridge was the huge Apartment/hotel Playa Moreya where we had stayed three times in the 80s. The outside area seemed to be, packed, lights blazing and music and singing could be heard. The hotel Peymar by this time was in darkness.

So I went to my room and read my book looking forward to seeing Andy play tomorrow and also talk to people and enjoy some tennis.
    Last edited by supergran; 15-09-2019 at 11:52.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

clancy (15-09-2019), Elizabeth (15-09-2019), exislander (15-09-2019), Genbrit (15-09-2019), jeannie13 (15-09-2019), lovetennis (15-09-2019), lynne (15-09-2019), patlowe (15-09-2019), themass15 (15-09-2019), xenon21 (15-09-2019)

Thursday was again hot and sunny and I was in a taxi by 1130 on my way to watch tennis. There seemed to be more people watching on centre court and by early afternoon the bar and terrace had also filled up. Nick and Celia, the couple with the romantic story had asked me to text them the time Andy was playing and they would drive over from Palma.

Once again I met and chatted to lovely people. Strangely all the couples and families I met seemed to have money. A lot of them had their own businesses and some owned houses or apartments in Mallorca. One couple told me they lived quite close to Andy although they'd never seen him play. Later in the afternoon I watched some of Andy's practice and managed to shake his hand and say good luck as he went back inside. I was rewarded with a beaming smile and his thanks.

I needed to eat as it was going to be a long day and Andy was last on court again. The matches were going into three sets so we really had no idea what time he would be on. We just had the information 'not before 7'. I sat in the sunshine with a glass of beer chatting and watching tennis and really enjoying myself. People who love tennis are really lovely.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

clancy (15-09-2019), Elizabeth (15-09-2019), exislander (15-09-2019), Genbrit (15-09-2019), jackie55 (15-09-2019), jeannie13 (15-09-2019), lovetennis (15-09-2019), lynne (15-09-2019), Mickey (15-09-2019), patlowe (15-09-2019), themass15 (15-09-2019), xenon21 (15-09-2019)

As the evening wore on the terraced seats filled up. I had decided to watch from the terrace, comfortable chairs and waiter service. I was right at the front sitting with two lovely families from Surrey. On the next table there were four people and I detected Scottish accents so I went to chat. Although fans of Andy they had never seen him play. The two men were uncle and nephew and had both represented Scotland at cricket. This led to a really interesting conversation mainly with the older man who told me hilarious tales of playing Lancashire when Scotland was regarded as a County. I knew of players he had played against and I enjoyed listening to him. He also told me he'd had the exact same procedure on his right hip 15 years ago and had played cricket after the operation. I asked the men and their wives if they would join me in chants and loud support. They agreed and my support group was growing. I had messaged Celia and saw her and Nick arrive. They said hello and walked down to the terraced seats. Everyone was in a jolly mood, drinking cocktails, wine and beer. I was sticking to beer. The second match finished and soon it would be Andy time. I was nervous as had watched Viola earlier in the week and he made very few errors. I imagined him thinking what an opportunity playing Andy Murray.....well, he would have thought it in Italian. Jamie Delgado had said it would be tough but added every match is tough. It was time and Andy walked out to very loud cheers which brought a lump to my throat. He was obviously going to be the favourite of the majority of the spectators. I gritted my teeth and under my breath muttered Come On Andy Love.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to supergran For This Useful Post:

exislander (Yesterday), Genbrit (Yesterday), jeannie13 (Yesterday), lovetennis (Yesterday), lynne (Yesterday), Mickey (Yesterday), Nessie (Yesterday), patlowe (Yesterday), themass15 (Yesterday), xenon21 (Yesterday)