Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 667 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Newspaper and internet reports

from 2nd September 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cazza99
    Quote Originally Posted by banskogirl
    Thanks to everyone for their useful links :flower: there are a lot!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ljs
    Great reading !!

Linda , ask the pharmacist , we have tons of different ones here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Well, that's a surprise - I had no idea that Andy and Nole were still so close. I'd have expected one of his Serbian teammates to be his best man.
    Well, that's a surprise - I had no idea that Andy and Nole were still so close. I'd have expected one of his Serbian teammates to be his best man.
    Andy has just denied being best man to Nole. They still do not even know if Nole is getting married.
    Really? I thought he announced just after Wimbledon that he is getting married?

Where did Andy deny it?
    Maybe they do not know the date or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by harriet
    to be going on with, while waiting for cazza, with the full round up of last nights murraycoaster
    guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...11-robin-haase
    sample "There were moments in the three hours and 23 minutes of his 6-7, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, 6-4 win over the Dutchman when his head-shaking, swearing persona accurately reflected the standard of his tennis. He had every right to be furious with his maddening inconsistency and loss of concentration. Yet he redeemed himself with the most exhilarating fightback and a closing few games that reached new levels of tension, as Murray held his nerve and Haase cracked, physically as well as mentally."
    Quote Originally Posted by lynne
    Thanks Harriet!! :D
    Just back from the osteopath, so here goes.

Worldtourfinals site - Murray Becomes Third Player To Qualify For 2011 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals

BBC - US Open 2011: Andy Murray beats Robin Haase in five sets

BBC - US Open 2011: Quotes of the day
    Several quotes regarding Andy

Eurosport - Murray on track after swerving Haase

Telegraph - US Open 2011: Andy Murray remains calm in the face of defeat to beat Dutchman Robin Haase in five-set thriller

Metro - US Open: Andy Murray admits he must do better after beating Robin Haase in five sets

ESPN - Murray relieved to survive Haase test

Daily Record - US Open: Andy Murray recovers from two-sets down to snatch stunning win against Robin Haase

Independent - Murray: crowd helped me turn the match around

ESPN - Count on Murray to deliver drama

Tennistalk - Murray back from the brink, beats Haase in five

Herald - matchstats Murray receives wake-up call from unseeded Haase

AFP - Murray pleased with boisterous NY crowd at US Open

Independent - Murray reverses slump to stay alive

ATP site - Murray Survives Scare; Nadal Untroubled

Washington Post - After slow start, Murray goes to the limit for win at US Open

New York Times - Murray Outlasts Haase

BBC - Andy Murray v Robin Haase at US Open 2011 as it happened

BBC - Elena Baltacha column

Eurosport - US Open - Murray wins amazing five-setter

Sky Sports - Murray makes it a thriller

Telegraph US Open 2011: Andy Murray comes from two sets down to beat Robin Haase at Flushing Meadows

ESPN - Murray stumbles past Haase in five-set epic

Mail - Red alert, but Ironman Murray survives big test of nerve in five-set thriller

The National - Murray’s diet switch hard to stomach
    thanks cazza, you've excelled yourself
    i like andy in red, and according to a recent Horizon programme, red is an aggressive colour, a winner's colour.
    and the fist pumps, the come ons etc,hopefully not too much swearing! better for andy to play naturally, it gets the crowd into it, and it's andy's way, rather than having a 'game face' and showing nothing

from Sept 3rd 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights

Where did Andy deny it?
    He said it yesterday in his pre-match Petch interview. The story was in a Serbian newspaper - Andy reckoned it was a joke about the fact that he is always runner-up to Nole. He said he'd heard nothing about Novak getting married and that he would ask him about it.
    Thanks NL. It would have made more sense for the Serbian newspaper to make the joke about Rafa, 'cos he's the one who's lost to Nole so many times this year!
    BBC - US Open 2011: Andy Murray set for Feliciano Lopez tie

Sport Review - US Open 2011: Andy Murray’s love affair with New York

Mail - Murray in a tight spot: Britain's No 1 forgets his trousers but remembers his lines
    "A couple of hours after he recovered from two sets down to beat Robin Haase, Murray appeared before a small audience dressed in black tights, a black muscle-defining vest and black shorts

Telegraph - US Open 2011 Diary: Freaky Friday
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMES4578
    Thanks for all the links Cazza, awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon21
    Great reading !!

Linda , ask the pharmacist , we have tons of different ones here.
    Echinacea and vitamin C?
    those never hurt
    Thanks for the links Cazza!! :D
    -guardian
    did what he had to
    i listened to this on bbc 5live, jon overend, john law? and mats wilander.
    who said 'andy is a born entertainer' after one outrageous winner. when pressed he said 'andy is one who likes the show, playing on a big court under the lights, likes to give the crowd their money's worth, that's why they like him here'
    on the radio it sounded so one sided, as if lopez hadn't showed up, radio coms proposing mock fines for him when he played particularly stupid shots.
    looking forward to the replays today, guardian report makes it pretty exciting - a thrilling first set etc
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMac
    Thanks cazza and harriet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Lady
    Thanks Cazza!
    thanks cazza. quote from Donald Young "I don't want the same results, so I have to try something different. You can't get different results doing the same old thing"
    he was talking about his training, and i thought andy would do well to heed that. andy went away after wimbledon and trained harder than ever but i wonder if he has done anything different, trained smarter not harder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Andy Murray admits Darren Young is 'dangerous'
    Wasn't aware that Andy had time to keep up to date with Alloa Athletic!
    US Open site - Andy's post match press interview

Sky Sports - Murray out for revenge
    "I was in a pretty bad place around Indian Wells, Miami time. It was a tough, tough part of the year for me. It's not so much revenge against Donald, it's more for the situation I was in there and making sure that I can move on from that."

I can remember Andy losing, but at the time he was not admitting things were going wrong.
    This was tweeted today. Video of Andy's first win on the ATP tour. Brings back a few memories :lol!:

@SI_BTBaseline Beyond The Baseline
    Morning Bagel, feat. video of Andy Murray making out w/ Kim Sears. Stories feat. B-Decks, FedTwins, umps, Serena http://tennis.si.com/2011/09/05/morn...-media-grades/

from 5th September 2011

This was tweeted today. Video of Andy's first win on the ATP tour. Brings back a few memories :lol!:

@SI_BTBaseline Beyond The Baseline
    Morning Bagel, feat. video of Andy Murray making out w/ Kim Sears. Stories feat. B-Decks, FedTwins, umps, Serena http://tennis.si.com/2011/09/05/morn...-media-grades/

Thanks for that Cazza...how sweet is that & yes I remember it well & how young does Andy look....what a difference!! 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoastLamb
    In that si-com column if you click on the fahsion hits at the bottom Andy is featured! Yay! I knew red was a good colour on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by supergran
    Thanks Cazza...didn't get four hour break from rain.
    Wall Street Journal - Rain Wreaks Havoc on Open This article also explains why they can't build a roof on Ashe.
    @5livetennis 5livetennis
    We're going to be talking about The US Open on 5live at 10pm tonight, and obviously the rain issue is causing a (cont) tl.gd/cuucnb

from Sept 8th 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMac
    Thanks cazza.. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by galagirl
    Thanks Cazza - All your links are so interesting!
    Cheers Cazza...the links are coming thick & fast!! :D

from 9th September 2011

hi cazza, thanks for all your posts, main reason for my attendance here
    today's from Kevin Mitchell guardian
    sample "Murray will take most satisfaction from coming through another of those rough patches known only to him and his inner voice.
    Isner, with the legs of a crane and the reach of an eagle, lacked one key ingredient early in the battle: the roar of the crowd."
    New York Times - Are These Men the Best Ever? Making the Case
    "It could be argued, and, I think, without much difficulty, that Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray represent the best — the most athletic and strongest and all-around skilled — top four men’s players to be competing against one another in the history of the game. Moreover, they have been tested these past days, as they have been tested since Australia in January, by what is without doubt the deepest pool of talent ever to be amassed on the men’s side."

Bleacher - US Open Tennis 2011: Handicapping Odds for Each Semifinalist

Telegraph - US Open Diary 2011: Michelle Obama serves up a treat - by Alex Willis
    "Andy Murray was at times sublime, at times surprising against John Isner, but most importantly, he got the job done to reach his fourth Grand Slam semi this year. The first two sets were superb, the third not so much, the fourth nail-chewing, but it was a telling performance from the world No 4. He's amped."
    today's report of a disappointing game kevin mitchell
    sample highlight "there were passages in this match when the unfamiliar sight of Murray at the net changed the whole mood of the contest. Remarkably for one of the game's defensive masters, Murray moved into that high-risk, high-reward zone 44 times, winning the point on 33 of his visits.

It is a strategy he as consistently rejected throughout his career. Murray strives to contain his emotions but relying solely on control and discipline not only makes for a one-dimensional game but can suck the life out of his tennis when what he needs is a dramatic moment to lift himself to another level.

The other dimension to playing a more expansive, even emotional, game is that it engages the crowd – and on Saturday night, large sections of the Arthur Ashe stadium were behind him."

from Sept 11th 2011

Post match press interview transcript: http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tenni...ray_2011.shtml
    Thanks cazza for those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maza1987
    Thanks Cazza
    Telegraph - US Open champion Novak Djokovic's rise to greatness down to steeliness and 'best backhand ever'
    "The classic example was the service return he produced on match point down again Federer in Saturday’s semi-final. Andy Murray was asked about this gamble on Saturday night, and described it as “unbelievable ... It’s one of those where he just went for it. Out of 10 you’ll probably make two or three”"

BBC - Colin Fleming sets sights on Davis Cup World Group

ESPN - U.S. Open schedule needs tweaking

Sport Review - US Open boys’ champion Oliver Golding eyes step up

Eurosport - Davis Cup - Bates: Murray to again thrive in Glasgow

Eurosport - Davis Cup - Murray to contest Davis Cup play-off

Scotsman - Changing room chat: Murray odds-on to win . . nothing

from Sept 14th

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Andy
    Check this article out: No big changes planned, says Andy Murray
    http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/No-b...ays.6836646.jp

Love his attitude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis
    Thanks AA - great to hear Andy so positive and why shouldn't he? 4 semi-finals or better in the last 4 GS tournaments - the only other player to have done that this year is Djokovic. Good, too, to see that he has set himself a goal for the end of the year - hopefully it will give him focus now that the Majors have finished.

This article says more or less the same thing:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...those-doubters

With Federer waning and Nadal looking vulnerable - I firmly believe that Andy and Djoko will dominate men's tennis for the next few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by patmoren
    I enjoyed that piece very insightful.
    Quote Originally Posted by LC the fan
    Poor Andy ! No sooner was the last ball played in the doubles but the commentators were piling up the pressure for 2012 Davis cup ties.
    Inevitable, I suppose. But I do think it is so unfair to point out that Rafa etc all play Davis Cup - Spain, France, Serbia have all got strength in depth if necessary. If GB are going to win their ties it means Andy absolutely has to win his 2 singles.
    Pressure or what ????
    No pressure then eh! :evil:.......it's the only one that shakes his head!!!
    BBC Scotland....Andy video interview

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14965927.stm

Cazza if you want to merge this with yours..no probs :D
    With both Rafa and Novak obviously against the DC scheduling and Rafa virtually threatening a boycott, it just may take the pressure off Andy.

He obviously enjoys playing when he is fit but these guys have such a horrendous schedule, and it obviously caught up with him yesterday. When I think that footballers get upset if they have to play twice in a week for 90 minutes I could scream.

from September 19th 2011

Andy & Kim at London Fashion Week...Burberry http://www.daylife.com/photo/097V3YA...urray+burberry

If you scroll down you will see more pics of Andy & Kim :D

BBC - Time for player power? - Jonathan Overend

BBC - Britain's Andy Murray 'serious' about tennis strike threat

BBC - Players not scared to strike over tennis calendar - Andy Murray - audio interview

Telegraph - Andy Murray: world's leading players ready to strike

ESPN - Murray warns ATP that top players could strike

Mail - Murray reveals tennis stars are prepared to strike over exhausting schedule

ESPN - Great Britain not seeded for Davis Cup draw

Mail - British tennis can draw on positives from encouraging summer

Daily Record - Davis Cup: Below-par Andy Murray apologises to home fans despite helping GB secure whitewash against Hungary

ESPN - Murray 'should be desperate to play in Davis Cup'

Mail - Resurgent Britain can reclaim place among Davis Cup elite, says Murray

Press Association - Murray offers Golding advice

Independent - Murray: Ridiculous schedule needs changing

Guardian - Andy Murray criticises 'messed up' schedule despite Davis Cup success

BBC - Andy Murray helps GB to Davis Cup whitewash over Hungary

Press Association - Djokovic tips Murray for glory

Eurosport - Davis Cup - Murray, Fleming complete whitewash for GB

Telegraph - British Davis Cup fortunes restored as Leon Smith eyes World Group

Scotsman - Andy Murray's Davis Cup future in doubt

Bleacher - Tennis ATP World Tour Schedule Must Change for the Good of the Sport

Guardian - Andy Murray warns players will strike if ATP does not revise calendar

Fox Sports - Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray raise the prospect of strike action if the gruelling ATP Tour is kept

from 20th September 2011

Thanks Cazza you have been busy :D

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/112225.htmlive

A bit presumptive I think
    Thanks Cazza you have been busy :D

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/112225.htmlive

A bit presumptive I think
    Very interesting though!
    Oh dear. Why do I get the feeling that our beloved national press is going to brand Andy as a trouble maker and leader of the 'we will strike' faction.

This was first mentioned by Rafa and ARod; when Andy has been asked about it he only confirmed that it was a possibility that he hoped could be avoided.

With each new report they seem to have him more and more in strike mode - more reasons to pillory him. They just cant leave him alone :evil:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerkins2
    Oh dear. Why do I get the feeling that our beloved national press is going to brand Andy as a trouble maker and leader of the 'we will strike' faction.

This was first mentioned by Rafa and ARod; when Andy has been asked about it he only confirmed that it was a possibility that he hoped could be avoided.

With each new report they seem to have him more and more in strike mode - more reasons to pillory him. They just cant leave him alone :evil:
    I totally agree with you LC. Andy really just said it as it is, including that hopefully a strike can be avoided, but lots of the headlines seem to imply he is the leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerkins2
    This first telegraph article has totally twisted Andy's words. Since when was Andy the leader?
    This gets me so annoyed!
    I just knew it - and I bet the Telegraph garbage is just the first of many ! I could scream
    http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/09/20/idINIndia-59450520110920

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/s...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS

I agree, this is so incredibly annoying - I wouldn't mind betting that Rafa doesn't have to put up with the same sort of treatment from the Spanish press.

David Lloyd's piece speaks volumes about him - green-eyed and monster are the words that spring to mind. On the main tour circuit, when the game was much less physical than it is now, he reached a career high of 128, won 24 matches and lost 55 - I don't think he has any idea what it was like for the top players then let alone now! :evil:

Alis, wish I had a like button as I like your post very much. In fact I like it a lot. I would go as far as to say I like it exceedingly!!!
    ME TOO, SUPERGRAN. My sentiments exactly.

Wonder if there is any truth in this connection with Fed & Stans ex-coach ????
    Certainly Lundgren fits Andy's criteria, having guided both Fed and Safin to slam wins.

Talking of Andy's coaches, just had sight of Miles courtside at Metz (now coaching Baggy).
    Good for Martina! The only ex-player talking any sense, it seems.
    Yahoo - Here’s a picture of Kanye West and Andy Murray at a fashion show
    "My second thought after seeing this picture was how I hope Kanye and Murray become friends and this leads to Kanye sitting in Andy's player's box, opposite Diddy in Novak Djokovic's, and there's some sort of rap battle before a decisive fifth set and then Roger Federer and Gavin Rossdale emerge to settle it with a Zoolander-like walk-off."

Glasgow Evening Times - Judy serves up ace lessons at park’s new tennis courts

Beyond the Baseline - The Toss: Solutions to a grueling schedule
    Thought I would post this for Linda, Fiona andy any more Rafa fans!! http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bbjLF

Quote Originally Posted by RoastLamb
    Thought I would post this for Linda, Fiona andy any more Rafa fans!! http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bbjLF

Thx. part of me would like to see Argie win coz they've never won before and I know it means so much to Fat Dave and Potty.

How interesting to read the various opinions on reducing/adjusting/re-thinking the tour. So much to contemplate, so many different interests and aspects.

Lets hope they come to an amicable agreement in the coming weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Andy
    Bangkok Post: Murray is back to thrill Thai fans (Article in English) http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spor...rill-thai-fans

from 25th September 2011

Thanks for that AussieAndy - great interview with Andy.

ESPN - Murray seeded one in Thailand Open

Tennis grandstand - Andy Murray talks players strike The Friday Five
    thanks cazza.
    the last post has an update on Soderling, missing the whole Asian swing, mono. and Federer, missing Shanghai, nagging injuries, plus he's tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsaywebb64
    The commentators on the women's tennis were having a sly dig comparing the number of matches McEnroe and Sampras played in a year. And you would think that Andy had come up with this idea of a strike all by himself and that no other players were concerned
    I reckon as soon as they get the smallest snippet of information they rub their hands in glee 'Lets analyse this as much as we can in the hopes of being able to have a dig at Andy'
    I cant believe it sells papers but they obviously think it does - sickening :evil: