Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FTM - general discussion

Re: FTM - general discussion

I guess we could do a poll to find out what people prefer. As Sally says, in the off-season.
    Andy. Rafa. Milos. What's not to like?

they should be seperate , some of us arnt interested in 2nd rate tennis

I am all for encouraging interest in Doubles. We have far more doubles players in the top 100 than singles!!
    Pat

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patmoren For This Useful Post:

hfwardhouse (01-11-2011), Linda (31-10-2011), RoastLamb (31-10-2011), Sallydaisy (31-10-2011)

I am also all for encouraging interest in doubles. However, I think I might forget to do FTMs for doubles when there are no singles FTMs to do. So I am in 2 minds about it.

Quote Originally Posted by patmoren View Post
    I am all for encouraging interest in Doubles. We have far more doubles players in the top 100 than singles!!
    we have more women in top 100 to, should we predict that rubbish to

As I said, I will do a poll. J, seriously? Doubles is not second-rate.
    Andy. Rafa. Milos. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by patmoren View Post
    As at today's date we have 7 male players in the top 100 doubles rankings.
    Most of them have to slog their way around the ATP250's and Challengers to earn a crust.
    I reckon they deserve some recognition!

Quote Originally Posted by cazza99 View Post
    I am also all for encouraging interest in doubles. However, I think I might forget to do FTMs for doubles when there are no singles FTMs to do. So I am in 2 minds about it.
    You wouldn't forget - we always did reminders for FTM in jm.org and if it counts for team scores I suspect you might get teh occasional jab in the ribs from your teamies.

Quote Originally Posted by RoastLamb View Post
    As I said, I will do a poll. J, seriously? Doubles is not second-rate.
    It sure as heck isn't 2nd rate. Most of the guys have to play far more than the singles players to get decent ranking points.

And, whilst I am sure there are many who won't agree with this, it's my belief that playing doubles helps Andy's game. When he's on the doubles court he parks at the net! When else do we see him do that and win a shedload of points. I am convinced that at this stage of his career (i.e. having got into the top 3) that anything which helps him vary his game is good. Being at the net more and being comfortable volleying and playing attacking tennis (which doubles play almost always demands) cannot be bad for his all round game.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sallydaisy For This Useful Post:

hfwardhouse (01-11-2011), JAMES4578 (31-10-2011), Linda (01-11-2011), RoastLamb (01-11-2011)

always makes me laff people justifying doubles as a credible career choice, its where those who cant make the grade on their own go
    btw i will concede it is good for practicing your skills at the net for the proper game

Quote Originally Posted by -J- View Post
    always makes me laff people justifying doubles as a credible career choice, its where those who cant make the grade on their own go
    Like it or not though it's often how kids get started - by playing with others at a local club and with parents/siblings/friends in doubles matches which are a bit less scary than being out there on your own.
    I think you've got me in 'terrier mode' on this ...

Quote Originally Posted by -J- View Post
    btw i will concede it is good for practicing your skills at the net for the proper game
    Especially so for someone like Andy who 95% of the time parks on the baseline and doesn't get enough practice at the net.
    Which is a shame because he's got such a good eye for the ball, instinct on opponent's tactics and sufficient natural skill to make him a menace when he does go for 'serve-and-volley'.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

Completely disagree with J's comments and doubles can be a great spectacle! I accept not everyone is as interested and it may not generate the same publicity but plenty of us want to coment on it as well as the singles game. Agree that doubles is beneficial for Andy's forecourt game, as long as doesn't overplay of course.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

hfwardhouse (01-11-2011), Linda (01-11-2011), RoastLamb (01-11-2011)