Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 249 of 252 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2519

Thread: What has made you happy or sad?

ATP Ace!

Re: What has made you happy or sad?

Just to end our saga .................................

We eventually get through screening without any further mishaps and even negotiate the duty free perfume department, where Robin sits on a seat where he can see me while I make my purchases and then we slowly - very slowly - make our way to the eating area.

With a plate of food in front of us, things begin to look distinctly rosier. Robin is enjoying a glass of wine and I am lulled into a false sense of security. I say to him, 'Are you okay to stay here for five minutes while I pop across to Boots?' He assures me that he is and so I take my purse and head off to Boots. I fill my basket with all the essentials I can't buy on the island and queue for five minutes for the check out - all the time thinking was this a bad move? I get to the check out and the assistant puts through all my goodies and then asks for my boarding card. Rats - my boarding card is in my bag and my bag is with Robin! I had forgotten that they need a boarding card - although why they do for toileteries escapes me. I leave my goodies and hurry back to Robin. Thankfully, he is still there - I heave a sigh of relief and resolve never to leave him alone again!

Robin needs the loo again so I think the best thing to do is to go to the gate where the loo is close by and I can keep an eye on the door. It takes a long time and multi stops to make the gate but finally we get there. We sit and we sit and the time comes for boarding and nothing happens; the time comes for departure and nothing happens. No announcements are made but we all rightly assume that they haven't made up the time they lost in the morning. Eventually we board 45 minutes late.

At last we're home. The dogs give us a tumultuous reception - I feed them and I'm just about to put some food in the oven for us when all the lights go out! I call the electricity help line to be told that there is a major fault on the network and all consumers on Islay, Jura and Colonsay are off - great! I light all the candles and the fire - pour us both a large gin and tonic and settle down to wait - actually it's quite cosy and relaxing after the day we've had - romantic even! Luckily we are only off for about an hour. What a day! A day not to be repeated in a hurry, I hope, but at least we survived to tell the tale!
    Last edited by Alis; 07-12-2017 at 02:50.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Alis For This Useful Post:

anor (07-12-2017), cazza99 (06-12-2017), clancy (07-12-2017), Genbrit (06-12-2017), goldfish (07-12-2017), hfwardhouse (07-12-2017), jackie55 (06-12-2017), jagmad (06-12-2017), jeannie13 (06-12-2017), Josephine (12-12-2017), Linda (06-12-2017), pabbers (08-12-2017), patlowe (06-12-2017), themass15 (06-12-2017)

A day you won't want to repeat in a hurry!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to themass15 For This Useful Post:

Alis (06-12-2017)

My goodness, what a day!

By the way, for a flight wholly within the EU it is not compulsory to show your boarding card when making purchases at the airport.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda For This Useful Post:

Alis (06-12-2017)

ATP Ace!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    My goodness, what a day!

By the way, for a flight wholly within the EU it is not compulsory to show your boarding card when making purchases at the airport.
    They don't seem to have read that memo at Glasgow, Linda!

ATP Ace!

Our day did lead me to wonder why, in this day and age, patients in rural communities can't access their consultants through video consultations. Robin and I both probably spent 15 minutes at most with our consultants. Additionally, Robin had bloods taken - which could have been done at our GP surgery and I had an X-ray which could have been done at our cottage hospital. Aside from the hassle, our day in Glasgow cost the NHS a lot of money in air fares. I'm sure that over the year video consultations would save the NHS a fortune. I can't be the first person to have thought of this so why, I wonder, isn't it happening?
    Last edited by Alis; 07-12-2017 at 15:27.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alis For This Useful Post:

clancy (07-12-2017), hfwardhouse (07-12-2017), jeannie13 (06-12-2017), pabbers (08-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    I know! Even for a wee bottle of water and a mars bar! Couldn't be bothered saying they didn't need to see it but really....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WimbledonWestie For This Useful Post:

Alis (06-12-2017)

Or any other airport I've ever shopped in.
    The last time I forgot my boarding pass I asked the lady behind me if I could borrow hers.
    Luckily she agreed and to my amazement the guy behind the till accepted it.
    Which I found most bizarre.
    Although I was only buying my beautiful 1 yr old grandson some sweeeeeteeees.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagmad For This Useful Post:

Alis (07-12-2017), pabbers (08-12-2017)

I have done a video consultation once locally and have heard of others too. I just had to go to my local GP's surgery and they did it there. I'm sure it will come....

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hfwardhouse For This Useful Post:

Alis (07-12-2017), JerryD (07-12-2017), pabbers (08-12-2017)

ATP Ace!

Thanks, hfwardhouse - that's really good to know. It would make so much sense for patients in rural areas.

Thanks, hfwardhouse - that's really good to know. It would make so much sense for patients in rural areas.
    It was a big help. Saved me making good a 60 mile round trip into Aberdeen. Not as far as you of course!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hfwardhouse For This Useful Post:

Alis (07-12-2017)