Re: What has made you happy or sad?

fabulous Rosie Bear, well done! Sure a lot of effort involved but worth it-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

RosieBear (15-12-2017)

Thanks, everyone. You're all very kind.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Oh Anna, that is such good news. So pleased for you. What a weight that must be off your shoulders. Congratulation! Sorry to plead ignorance, but what was your research topic? Would be interested to know something about it.
    Thanks, Pat! My background is International Criminal Justice, particularly within the Western Balkan context. My research was a consideration of how and why the crime of human trafficking should be elevated from its current transnational status into the realm of international justice. In other words, prosecuted at the ICC and by individual states exercising universal jurisdiction rather than normal territorial principles. If an offence is to come within the international justice system it has to meet certain criteria, so as part of my research I interviewed the (Albanian) traffickers themselves to establish how their crimes meet the threshold - a real eye-opener!

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Alis (16-12-2017), anor (15-12-2017), Caro (15-12-2017), cazza99 (15-12-2017), clancy (15-12-2017), jagmad (Yesterday), JAMES4578 (15-12-2017), JerryD (16-12-2017), lovetennis (16-12-2017), pabbers (15-12-2017), patlowe (15-12-2017), Sallydaisy (15-12-2017)

Belated congratulations Dr RB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fah51 For This Useful Post:

RosieBear (15-12-2017)

Wild Card

Congratulations RB & Best of Luck as you go forward !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ljs For This Useful Post:

RosieBear (15-12-2017)

Challenger Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by patmoren View Post
    You need to find an interest Maureen to give you something to focus on. It does get easier but you have to make the effort
    I am sure this was not meant to sound insensitive ... but that's how it comes across I'm afraid. Comments like this are just not helpful. Everyone copes with grief differently but support is what is needed in this case. My sister lost her husband last year. She has many friends and an active life with the church but grief is grief. For Mo, it was only 3 months ago she lost Alan!

Mo - you know how to get hold of me if you need to talk any time xx

And on a happy note, many many congratulation to my very clever friend RB on your doctorate. Well done you xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caro For This Useful Post:

RosieBear (15-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    Thanks, Pat! My background is International Criminal Justice, particularly within the Western Balkan context. My research was a consideration of how and why the crime of human trafficking should be elevated from its current transnational status into the realm of international justice. In other words, prosecuted at the ICC and by individual states exercising universal jurisdiction rather than normal territorial principles. If an offence is to come within the international justice system it has to meet certain criteria, so as part of my research I interviewed the (Albanian) traffickers themselves to establish how their crimes meet the threshold - a real eye-opener!
    Oh wow Anna. That is fascinating. I'm sure it's well worth a read. Did you draw any really strong conclusions? (Generically incase you can't go into detail here) How long did it take you to complete it? Sorry for all the questions, but I am so intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Oh wow Anna. That is fascinating. I'm sure it's well worth a read. Did you draw any really strong conclusions? (Generically incase you can't go into detail here) How long did it take you to complete it? Sorry for all the questions, but I am so intrigued.
    Thanks so much for your interest, Pat. It took five and a half long years! Very briefly so as not to bore others, distilled conclusions are:

The current paradigm of viewing trafficking in purely economic terms, as just another form of transnational crime, is a morally objectionable oversimplification.

Next, trafficking fulfils the dual theoretical bases that underpin crimes that come within ICC and universal jurisdiction.

To establish this in relation to the ICC was straightforward enough, through doctrinal analysis of the Rome Statute (the treaty that directs the jurisdiction of the ICC).

Establishing that a crime should come under universal jurisdiction is a lot less straightforward because, although it is an ancient principle of international law, it is not codified. I argued that the historical development of universal jurisdiction over maritime piracy in the 1600s and its subsequent extension to slave trading (1815) came about due to conditions and features mirrored today in trafficking. I provided a theoretical model which highlighted the conceptual proximity between (i) trafficking and slavery and (ii) trafficking and piracy to advance the claim that trafficking should come under universal jurisdiction. I then empirically substantiated the model's assertions by speaking to the traffickers to show how their moral disengagement is reminiscent of slave trader discourse of the past, and how cross-border traffickers are as much of a logistical challenge to punish as pirates who operated on the high seas.

Have rattled this off quickly, hope it makes some sense! I don't want to hog this thread, or write anything too graphic, but do feel free to PM if you want the more gory details

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

anor (Today), cazza99 (Today), patlowe (Today)

Thank you Anna. Really interesting especially the historical connection to 17C piracy and 19C slave trading. Having a history degree myself I find this most interesting and it has often crossed my mind is there a correlation between modern day traffickers and slave trading. Piracy didn't enter my head so I did find that particularly interesting. Over 5 years work! Wow! Well done you! Thank you for the info. Might follow up after C'mas!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

RosieBear (Today)