BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical Woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Technical Woes

Place your laments here!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    I have almost no internet tonight! Definitely can't watch any livestreams :cry: I just tried the UK Bandwidth Test (with nothing else running) and I have a download speed of 360 kbps. I know those tests aren't very accurate but if I run that one when everything's working properly I get about 6,000. No idea what's wrong :cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    try rebooting your modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydu
    do you lose it regularly ?
    first thing i would do is reboot router (proper;y if you can if not switch it of/on)
    then check connections cables etc especially any extension cables
    then after that its really down to your isp its possible they are having problems their end always worth a call to them as at if it happens frequently you have grounds to complain to them and your calls will be logged
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    That didn't work. But it's OK, it's suddenly come back and now I'm watching Dolly v Djoko! Ran the bandwidth test again and strangely it's now saying 9,500 - it's never shown that high before.

On reflection, I think BT must have been doing some work on the line.

Re: Feedback on AndyMurrayFanForum

Can anybody help me with this problem? To do with computer. Since yesterday when I log in to here, facebook or twitter the page is to the right of my screen as I look at it. Have tried in vain to centre but it moves the tiniest way and no more. Also at the top right where you have a box to maximise and minimise suddenly I have two superimposed on each other and the one box symbol has disappeared. This means that I can't log out/sign out as the symbol is no longer visible to the right of my screen. Also cannot move easily from top to bottom or, on here successive pages. as arrows (top and bottom) are hidden. Never had this problem before, don't know what has caused it and have no idea how to rectify it. Hope some computer wizard reads this and gets back to me. You know how I hate having problems because I don't know how to solve them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supergran View Post
    Can anybody help me with this problem? To do with computer. Since yesterday when I log in to here, facebook or twitter the page is to the right of my screen as I look at it. Have tried in vain to centre but it moves the tiniest way and no more. Also at the top right where you have a box to maximise and minimise suddenly I have two superimposed on each other and the one box symbol has disappeared. This means that I can't log out/sign out as the symbol is no longer visible to the right of my screen. Also cannot move easily from top to bottom or, on here successive pages. as arrows (top and bottom) are hidden. Never had this problem before, don't know what has caused it and have no idea how to rectify it. Hope some computer wizard reads this and gets back to me. You know how I hate having problems because I don't know how to solve them!!!
    Awww crumbs SG - sorry I can't help - not a techy but sure someone will. Was it that extra glass at wine o'clock that caused you to hit a wrong button? Probably just about to do the same myself! Bring on the next DC!!!!!
    Pat xx

Hi supergran! I've moved this to Technical Woes as it seemed more appropriate!

I know you've almost certainly tried this, but I have to go wth the simplest option to begin with - have you tried rebooting your PC?

Unfortunately, from what you describe, if that doesn't fix it the most obvious answer would be that your monitor is knackered, but hopefully that's not the case. If a reboot doesn't help, do you know how to take a screenshot? If so, send me one and Dave & I will have a look and see if we can suggest anything.

Re: Technical Woes

SG, it might help computer wizards to solve your problem if you tell us what browser you are using - Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or something else? And have you tried just closing the window, as it sounds as though there may be another one behind it?

One further thought occurs - it's not just something as simple as the window having been dragged partly off the edge of the screen is it? If so, you could try right-clicking on an empty spot on your taskbar at the bottom, and choose "cascade windows" - if you have lots of windows open, it might take you a few minutes to get them all moved and resized back where you want, but at least you'll be able to get at them all....worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightOwl View Post
    One further thought occurs - it's not just something as simple as the window having been dragged partly off the edge of the screen is it? If so, you could try right-clicking on an empty spot on your taskbar at the bottom, and choose "cascade windows" - if you have lots of windows open, it might take you a few minutes to get them all moved and resized back where you want, but at least you'll be able to get at them all....worth a shot.
    Thanks so much...you are a genius. I right clicked and chose "cascade windows" and it was sorted on everything I've logged into. And thanks for all the help offered by you and Dave. Much appreciated. x

You're very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by supergran View Post
    Thanks so much...you are a genius. I right clicked and chose "cascade windows" and it was sorted on everything I've logged into. And thanks for all the help offered by you and Dave. Much appreciated. x
    *Sigh*.......goes all gooey - another happy customer
    Pat xx

Something which might interest people who want to access their computers, MPs players, iplayers, etc via the internet from any where in the house without using cabling. It is called a Home Plug Adapter. You need two to start with, put one plug into an electricity socket near your router then connect, with the cable provided, between the plug and router. Place the second plug in a electricity socket anywhere in the house and connect the plug again with the cable provided, to any piece of equipment you want use access to the internet. It worksa treat and you can add more plugs but then need to connect as a network (disc provided), or turn offother plugs as it will always work with just the two plugs with building a network connection.
    Sorry if everyone already knows this but it was new to me and I wanted to get iplayer on my freesat viewer and didn't have an internet connection to the lounge.
    Various types available on Amazon, I bought the Solwise version.
    Pat

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patmoren For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (05-10-2011), Elizabeth (05-10-2011), hfwardhouse (04-10-2011), Linda (04-10-2011), lynne (04-10-2011), pabbers (04-10-2011)