Wimbledon Champion 2013 & 2016
Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: Judy Murray OBE - Grand Slam Mum

Re: Judy Murray OBE - Grand Slam Mum

Have signed the card, certainly well deserved!

Congratulations to Judy - so well deserved. What a super family - a knight and two OBEs. They'll have keep reserved seats for the Murrays in Buckingham Palace!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

patlowe (17-06-2017)

Chuffed for them all! Great news!

Started judys book. Gripped already.

Must get the book. This article by the ghostwriter is interesting
    https://www.the-pool.com/people/wome...ng-judy-murray

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lovetennis For This Useful Post:

HoopGirl (27-06-2017), jackie55 (18-06-2017), patlowe (18-06-2017)

Does sound very intersting.

This phrase grates though 'raised two champions almost single-handedly'. I suppose it could refer only to the tennis coaching and encouraging side, but it seems a bit wrong to dismiss Willie Murray's role, especially as he was the main carer after she left the family home.

Does she address the fact that she left the family home in the book?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Josephine For This Useful Post:

anor (19-06-2017), banskogirl (27-06-2017), Elizabeth (27-06-2017), lynne (18-06-2017), Mickey (18-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
    Does sound very intersting.

This phrase grates though 'raised two champions almost single-handedly'. I suppose it could refer only to the tennis coaching and encouraging side, but it seems a bit wrong to dismiss Willie Murray's role, especially as he was the main carer after she left the family home.

Does she address the fact that she left the family home in the book?
    Not up to the part im at anyway...ive got as far as when jamie is about 13 & andy 12

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angiebabez For This Useful Post:

Josephine (19-06-2017)

I think some of what Judy says here is really denigrating to females who want to be successful - either as athletes or in any other field. Why should they have to show an interest in the Kardahsians or fashion and glamour?

The Telegraph has distorted the original article in the Radio Times (which I have read) and given it a misleading headline. I do get what Judy is trying to say, but I really think this is a very negative thing to say to women. Direct quote:

“Female tennis players need to be encouraged to raise their profiles in other avenues than on the sports pages of newspapers. If you have an engaging personality or you can show that you are interested in the Kardashians, or fashion, things that other girls like, then you are far more likely to engage with a female audience. Girls are much more image-conscious at a younger age. It’s almost like they grow up too soon.”
    Speaking to Radio Times, the mother of British number one Andy Murray said female players “have to understand the business of being a professional athlete. If your marketability is going to be significantly increased by engaging yourself and being seen more by fans - and more potential sponsors - then that is what you need to do.”

However, in the same publication, British number three Heather Watson - who has been coached by Murray - said fashion and make-up were the last things on her mind.

“I actually love wearing sports clothes, having my hair tied up in a bun, not wearing make-up and I think more girls should feel comfortable in their own skin and not have to cover themselves in make-up all the time,” she said. “I do love putting make-up on but you don’t have to wear it every single day and you don’t have to change your body to look like pictures you see on the internet.”

Well said Heather!!

Better if female athletes show an interest in social causes, or human rights or anything but the goddamn Kardashians!

And what if you are not conventionally pretty or 'glamorous' and want to play tennis. Surely makes it harder if you're told you should emphasise your looks and views on fashion and trivialities!
    Last edited by Josephine; 27-06-2017 at 13:08.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Josephine For This Useful Post:

Alis (27-06-2017), anor (27-06-2017), HoopGirl (27-06-2017), RosieBear (27-06-2017)

I haven't seen/heard the original interview with Judy, but those do seem to be some very bizarre comments. I'm not against female players promoting their marketability. Gabriela Sabatini, was one of my all time faves, just loved her and she was one of the first and most successful women to market themselves very commercially....BUT she was also (virtually) universally loved by fellow players and fans alike because she was such a nice person. For example, she was the only top 10 player to vote in favour of protecting Seles' no 1 ranking after she was attacked. Plus you never got the impression with her that tennis was secondary; her losses to Steffi, Monica, etc were because she never quite had the beating of them, not because she wasn't committed. In other words, fans can be fine with marketability if the player is fundamentally respected/like for more substantial reasons, but what on earth have the likes of Kournikova or Bouchard ever brought to the game?? I would strongly suggest that players such as these two turn many off.

Have an attractive game and a decent, likeable personality and fans will be drawn to you, that's all that matters and really what Judy should be saying imo.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RosieBear For This Useful Post:

Alis (27-06-2017), anor (27-06-2017), clancy (27-06-2017), Josephine (27-06-2017)

Judy's response on Twitter:

20170627_164015.jpg

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

cazza99 (03-07-2017), HoopGirl (27-06-2017)