PDA

View Full Version : Blogette from the nosebleeds - Linda's Wimbly 2012

Linda
27-06-2012, 22:20
Since last year I've been intending to camp on Friday for Saturday this year, but of course also tried all other ways to get tickets too. I was lucky enough to get a pair of tickets for the men's semifinals in my club ballot, but I shall be in Row T which is near the back.

On Sunday I tried for returns tickets for Centre Court - and for the first time ever, was successful! There was just one problem - I needed to ask for a day's holiday from work at very short notice! When I went into work on Monday I said to my boss "There's something I need to ask you" and he replied, "I know - you're going to see Rafa" so that was OK. :rolling: Then I found out that Jaysee had Court 1 tickets for Tuesday so we swapped mobile numbers with the intention of meeting up.

So I got up early Tuesday morning and made my way to Wimbledon with my confirmation email, order details, passport, the credit card that I paid with, my entire life story . . . all the things they wanted in order to prove that I am me. Was a bit worried because my passport photo doesn't look remotely like me - the automatic recognition things at the airports reject me but the real people always nod me through.

Anyway, there was no problem and they handed over my ticket. Of course it's pot luck where your ticket will be. Someone on here said they got the front row once. I looked at my ticket. Row ZE. Only one row forward from the very back. In fact Row ZF (where I've also been!) is better because at least there you get a shelf on which to perch your Pimm's. :rolling:

Once inside I made my way to meet the VB campers! It was great to see them again - the last time most of us had met was at Monte Carlo. I mentioned that I felt rather sorry for Jaysee who was on Court 1 so she wouldn't see Andy. Wondered aloud whether I might let her use my ticket for part of Andy's match (I did that once for RoastLamb). Then Kate said that she and Ellie would be leaving after Rafa's match so Jaysee and her friend could have their tickets! That was wonderful so I texted her to let her know.

When they let us all into the grounds proper, we all dashed straight to the practice courts and hung about there for ages. We thought that Rafa would probably practise at 11.00 or 11.30 but didn't know where. (Of course, Andy, with a later match, would be practising later, once we were already in Centre Court.) As most of the main courts were in use for matches, it seemed probable that he would be on one of the practice courts. But there was no sign of him. We saw lots of other players coming and going. Heather walked past and we all said "Good luck, Heather" and she smilingly said thank you to everyone. She seems like a real sweetie.

Then we heard that Rafa was practising on Court 11! It was the only main court that didn't have a match on it - if only we'd made a better study of the OOP we might have worked out that he'd practise there. Anyway, we all dashed off but it was quite a long way and we didn't have a lot of hope of getting near the court. On the way we passed Judy busy texting and someone said "I wonder if a tweet from PseudoFed will pop up shortly?" Actually I think now that it is more likely that Kim is PseudoFed - have you seen Maggie's new blog?

We got there - it was packed of course - but we could see Rafa over the tops over other people's heads. Cameras out! I took loads of pics - here are a couple:

Linda
27-06-2012, 22:27
When Rafa's practice ended he of course was mobbed for autographs. Then we decided to make our way to the shady area (because we had been standing in hot sunshine all morning!) at the top of Henman Hill to eat our lunch. On the way we spotted various people going over the walkway from Centre to the players/press area and we waved at Toni and others. Didn't see Rafa or Andy, though.

After lunch we made our way to Centre Court - the others to their seats reasonably near the front, and me to the nosebleeds! By the time I arrived in my seat, Kvitova was serving for the first set. I took a few photos from up there but it's pointless really at that distance (although it's a very good overall view of the match). I couldn't see at all what her opponent looked like although I heard that she was rather odd. When Kvitova was only two points from winning the match, it started to rain and they quickly put the covers on. I decided to go out and get a Pimm's as I hadn't had one yet and it's obligatory, isn't it! :wino: When I went out it seemed to have stopped raining but on my way back it was spitting with rain again, so I didn't think that they would have restarted play. However I got back to find that they were indeed playing in the rain so I had to wait for them to finish before I could get back in.

There was then quite a long wait for Rafa and Bellucci. I felt sure that the delay would be due to Rafa arguing that he didn't want to play on a wet court. However they finally appeared. Rafa lost the first four games but went on to win in straights. He is often a slow starter.

At the end of the match I went out to meet Kate and Ellie and Jaysee and her friend. Tiggi had texted me to say that she was going too, so I could have her ticket, so I was supposed to be meeting her as well.

Linda
27-06-2012, 22:30
It was a bit of a comedy of errors trying to meet up. Found Kate and Ellie but it took a bit longer to find Jaysee and her friend. Finally we all met and the tickets were handed over. But Tiggi was nowhere to be found. Phoned her and told her where we were (by the Wimbledon shop under Centre Court) but she still didn't appear. Then it seemed that she was at another Wimbledon shop, that they had been in earlier. Kate said it was the one under Court 1 so we went there but still no sign of Tiggi. Phoned her again and told her where we were. She eventually found us and gave me her ticket. We all said our goodbyes and I made my way back to Centre Court.

It actually took me a while to find where the entrance was for Tiggi's section and I just missed getting in after 3 games and had to wait till 5 games had been played. When I finally took my seat Andy was up 4-1! When I saw him at Boodles last Wednesday he had been clearly suffering with his back, but he was a completely different player today! He made virtually no errors and clinically dismantled Davydenko who was spraying errors all over the place. So the match didn't take long at all. The rest of the VBers left half way through the second set so they missed the prolonged Mexican wave at the end of the second set and the generally happy atmosphere on court. A few people tried to give Davy some encouragement but it was pointless really. At the end of the match they announced that there would be another match on the court but I went to get a coffee.

My photos of the match are not good - the light was bad so each photo took an age to take, which is not good when you are taking photos of moving objects. So they are all rather fuzzy.

When I got my coffee I sat in front of the big scoreboard to see the scores for the matches still playing and the matches that had finished. I saw that Ferru and Dustin Brown were playing on Court 18 and thought that I'd like to see a bit of that before I went home. I also saw that Wozniacki had started playing on Centre. I went to the entrance there to hand in Tiggi's ticket - the collection box was outside so I gave it to one of the stewards. I had great trouble in trying to get him to understand that I wasn't going yet but didn't need my Centre Court ticket any more.

I queued at the top to get into Court 18. I was able to take photos from there (but still the trouble with bad light so they are fuzzy) and had got near the front of the queue. I would have been in at the next change of ends, but suddenly it started to rain really heavily and the covers were employed. It looked like the rain was in for the evening so everyone from all the courts was leaving all at once. I eventually got out of the car park and made my way home.

Some of my pics of Dustin Brown would have been really good if only they weren't fuzzy. If the sun had been shining they would have come out well. I'll have to experiment with camera to find out how to take the best pics in poor light. Anyway, all my pics as usual are on my photobucket account (there are quite a lot of Rafa's practice which came out OK): http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/Granny_Linda/Wimbly%202012/

supergran
27-06-2012, 23:05
Great blog Linda..really enjoyed reading about your brilliant day.:grass: You saw your favourites..fantastic.:cheer: Your photos, by the way, are very good.

RoastLamb
28-06-2012, 00:44
Fantabulous!!! Rafa and Andy on centre court, Wimbly. I really don't think it gets better than that - unless they're in the final together. Thanks!

hfwardhouse
28-06-2012, 08:42
Thanks Linda - love it :cheer:

Jan
28-06-2012, 10:31
thanks Linda - glad you had a great time!

karanga
28-06-2012, 11:15
Brilliant blogette, Linda. Thanks.

The pics of Rafa are great. :thanks: :swingin:

Lizzim
28-06-2012, 18:41
Sounds like a great day Linda! Am well jealous cos we won't be at Wimbly proper this year :(

cazza99
28-06-2012, 21:15
Thanks for the blogette Linda :)

RoastLamb
28-06-2012, 21:23
Well Linda, I bet you're glad you went to see him on Monday considering if you'd waited till Saturday there'd be no Rafa to watch. :sad:

Linda
28-06-2012, 21:28
Yes. Feeling really sorry for two of my friends (one of them is the one I shared an apartment with in Monte) who travelled down from the North today in order to watch Rafa on Saturday :crying:

RoastLamb
28-06-2012, 21:29
Oh no! Poor her. :grouphug:

jaysee
28-06-2012, 22:59
It was a bit of a comedy of errors trying to meet up. Found Kate and Ellie but it took a bit longer to find Jaysee and her friend. Finally we all met and the tickets were handed over.

A comedy of errors indeed!

Having left Court 1, we got to the Centre Court about 5 minutes before Rafa's match finished. We went to the nearest entrance and waited hopefully for a text - according to my phone I had a strong signal, even though I was under the shadow of the court. Lots of people streamed out - amazing how many were leaving and not staying to see Andy!

However no text arrived and the stream of people had died down. We agreed that the meet-up obviously wasn't going to happen, and decided to head up towards the Hill. About a minute later, a text arrived saying that Kate would be by gangway 114 when the match finished - obviously sent some time earlier. We rushed over there, trying to call her at the same time. Couldn't get through on the phone, but there were two people standing there. I said "Are you Kate?" and the girl said "Well, yes I am, but I don't think you're looking for me!" Yes, it was somebody else also called Kate!

Then finally managed to get the real Kate on the phone, and she said, no, it wasn't too late, Linda had the tickets, and she handed the phone over to Linda so that we could talk each other together! Didn't stop to talk to Linda, Kate and Ellie for long because, of course, we wanted to get in to the match. However we could really have stayed talking for longer, as the first three games seemed to take ages before we were able to get in.

Thanks so much again to all three of you for organising the ticket swap!

supergran
29-06-2012, 01:05
:grass::wimbly::cheer:Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds so well organised. You didn't get the chance to say "You're not Linda!"

supergran
29-06-2012, 01:07
Yes. Feeling really sorry for two of my friends (one of them is the one I shared an apartment with in Monte) who travelled down from the North today in order to watch Rafa on Saturday :crying:Now that is a real bummer. Who'd a thought? What a shame.:sad:

Golden Lady
29-06-2012, 11:02
Really enjoyed reading your blogette Linda :thanks: what a treat for you to see your 2 favourites on Centre.

Caro
01-07-2012, 17:19
Great blog Linda! So glad you got to see Rafa win before THAT match!

WimbledonAce
03-07-2012, 20:05
Good blog Linda. Just a question about the practice courts. When I have been it always looks like they are guarded apart from a couple that the public have access to. How do you get in? I saw Del Potro practicing but that was on one of the courts not being used.

Linda
03-07-2012, 20:31
You go down a narrow pathway between high hedges. At the end of that is the practice courts. I only discovered this a couple of years ago when there was a queue of people extending out of the pathway! They were queuing to get in 'cos Rafa was practising. I joined the queue but didn't get there until he had finished :sad:

WimbledonAce
04-07-2012, 14:00
You go down a narrow pathway between high hedges. At the end of that is the practice courts. I only discovered this a couple of years ago when there was a queue of people extending out of the pathway! They were queuing to get in 'cos Rafa was practising. I joined the queue but didn't get there until he had finished :sad:

Thanks Linda, will look out for this next time.