PDA

View Full Version : Supergran's visit to Wimbledon for the Final.

supergran
16-07-2012, 21:30
Friday 6th July: The semi-final finished, Andy had won and I was ecstatic! Suddenly I wanted to be there for the Final and was wondering how I could manage it. I posted on Facebook "I want to go to Wimbledon". A few minutes later received a message from my daughter-in-law telling me to get a train on Saturday and I could stay in her hotel room. She and her daughter had No 1 court tickets for Saturday and were staying in an hotel in Wimbledon Friday and Saturday. With that, I got a little excited and decided to phone Supergramps to tell him my plan. He was on his usual Friday night visit to the pub watching SuperLeague rugby so knew he would be in a good mood!;) As I was speaking to him I could hear comments and laughter. He told me that the lads knew why I was ringing!!! He agreed with my arrangements and I told him he had earned more brownie points than Federer had points! Sarah then said she would book my train so armed with all my info she did that. So there I was on Friday evening with the 19.12 Virgin train to Euston on Saturday evening booked and preparing to queue from early Sunday morning. I was so excited even though I was recovering from a bug which had laid me low earlier in the week. I was going to watch Andy play in his first Wimbledon Final and I was going to cheer him to the skies.
:grass2::wimbrolly::strawberry:

karanga
16-07-2012, 21:36
Look forward to the next part, Supergran. :thumbup: :thanks:

supergran
16-07-2012, 22:03
Saturday 7th July: I packed a very small bag which included two Team Murray t-shirts and the pink Team Murray shirt for Anna. Then I received a phone call from Sarah telling me she had persuaded her mother to travel down also. So in my bag went another Andy t-shirt for Ethel. Our trains were arriving within minutes of each other and Sarah and Anna had said they would come and meet us at Euston. Each of us had said it wasn't necessary but they insisted. I'ts a caring thing....When our children are growing we always think they need looking after and when the parents get older they think we need looking after which, of course, is rather lovely and we did appreciate it. So Supergramps and I made our way to Wigan for me to catch the train. Sarah had texted me the reference number so that I could collect my ticket at the station. As I was using my old phone the text was very small and I'd had to ask SG to read it for me and then I wrote it down. I put in my card and typed the number.....it wasn't recognised! I tried again substituting a 1 for an l with the same result. There was nobody manning the ticket office and I was beginning to panic slightly. Just then I spotted a young man coming into the station and I asked him if he could read the text. Bless him, he typed in the number and again it was wrong. He tried again changing some digits and lo and behold my tickets were there. It was the ls and the 1s next to a b which caused the problem. 20 20 vision must be a wonderful thing!! The journey was uneventful and no-one came to check my tickets at all!! I met Ethel and we then waited for Sarah and Anna. It was absolutely pouring with rain in London. When we all met up we decided to get a taxi. It cost us 60 which between four of us was fine as we were dropped off outside our hotel. When we got to the bedroom which had a double bed and a sofa we were all laughing as the sleeping arrangements were bound to be a little cramped. We went downstairs and Sarah and Anna ordered a meal as they had been on Centre Court from about 3 0'clock. They had watched Marray and Neilsen win the Doubles and Serena and Venus playing also. They had had a fantastic day. Sarah had her photograph taken with Richard Williams, had seen other sporting celebrities and had paid 21 for a bottle of wine!!:shocked: We had drinks and then they said they were going to leave at 1.30 to go and queue!! It was still pouring and I felt awful for them. You see, I didn't have to queue!
:big grin::wimbly::strawberry:

supergran
16-07-2012, 22:40
A little digression: On Saturday morning logged on to Facebook and am I glad I did. There was a private message for me from a young woman who had sent me a Friend request only three weeks earlier. She told me she had a spare ticket for No 1 Court and asked if I would like it. I rang Sarah and she told me to accept it as it would mean that I didn't have to queue in the rain. So I sent a message back and the ticket was mine. She said we could meet at Wimbledon station as she was coming in on the train and was booked into an hotel for Sunday night. To our surprise and delight she was actually staying in the same hotel! Coincidence, fate, karma....call it what you will. She told me that she had seen my post saying I wanted to go and knowing that I was an ardent Andy supporter decided to offer the ticket to me rather than sell it at Wimbledon. I was so happy and grateful and thought it was really rather wonderful of her to have chosen me to have the ticket. We arranged to meet in the foyer at around 10.30 and I was really looking forward to meeting her and thanking her in person.
:wimbly::wimbrolly:

jeannie13
16-07-2012, 23:18
I await the next instalment with bated breath!!! You always tell a good story.
:yak:

Could I have a small request---could you have more paragraphs as it makes it easier for me to read with my funny eyes!!
:shades:

:bravo:

Caro
17-07-2012, 12:10
I've been waiting for this!! I sooo hoped you would do a blog SG because they are always so entertaining! Looking forward to the next instalment .....

supergran
17-07-2012, 14:12
Sunday 8th July: After a good night's sleep with the bedroom and bathroom all mine I went down for breakfast. I had the works: fruit juice, followed by fruit and cereal and then a full English topped off with toast and marmalade and two cups of coffee. Did think about the others and wondered what they were eating. It was still pouring with rain and I was so glad that I hadn't queued. I was prepared to but really relieved that I hadn't.:yikes::rain: Then went back upstairs and gathered my belongs together. I was wearing a long-sleeved white t-shirt with my blue Team Murray shirt over, a blue jacket and a hooded rain jacket. I went to Reception to pay for my breakfast and the girl told me I needed to pay the bill for the room. Now I distinctly remember Sarah going to settle her bill at about 1.15 a.m before they left and telling me everything had been paid for and I just needed to buy my breakfast. This, I told the Receptionist but she insisted the bill hadn't been paid. I insisted that the bill had been paid by my daughter-in-law and did I need to speak to the Manager. Whereupon a few more clicks on her computer and she said that it had been paid. I looked at her and waited....the penny dropped and she apologised! I then told her things like that shouldn't happen and she agreed. Well, she would have to, wouldn't she? I paid for my breakfast and sat down to wait for my friend and the ticket.:wimbly::grass2:

supergran
17-07-2012, 14:42
Those of you who know me are well aware that I will talk to anyone.:lol: I struck up a conversation with a couple who had been to the tennis for three days and were on their way home to Northern Ireland. They were a lovely couple and very interested in my support for Andy and said that though they were great Federer:facepalm:fans they did hope Murray would win. The man told me that for many years he had Debenture seats and we chatted about that for a while. He wouldn't tell me how much he'd paid but said it had been a good investment because when he wasn't using them he was paid when others used his tickets. Then Suzi arrived. We hugged and she chatted to the couple for a while and then went to check in. We exchanged the ticket and cash and discussed what we were going to do. I told her that I wanted to buy a bottle of wine as Sarah had paid 21 on Saturday.:wino::wino: Now I am not mean, I like good wine, I belong to a wine club,but I do hate being ripped off!!:grrr: So off we went to find a supermarket. We chatted as we walked and discovered that she had been to the Davis Cup at Wimbledon....:grass:her first visit to a tennis match and that she had met people from the Andy Murray Forum. I laughed and said "I'm supergran." She burst out laughing too and told me she was Suzi on the old forum. I think she has joined this one but she hasn't posted. I could be wrong. She told me that Sally had introduced her to a member who had looked after her for the three days and that she had gone to meet Judy with you all. From chatting to Judy and telling her she knew nothing about tennis she had joined the LTA and now was very lucky in getting tickets for Queen's and Wimbledon. :thumbup: I got the ticket because her friend who she met at the DC couldn't come from Portugal for the Final.

Jan
17-07-2012, 15:07
ha ha - a small world, isn't it! I must admit when you said it was "Suzi", I thought to myself that we used to have a Suzi on the forum!!!

Linda
17-07-2012, 17:22
Thanks SG! Looking forward to more.

Good to hear news of Suzy. Her friend from Portugal would be Wendy, who was so good at pick'em.

supergran
17-07-2012, 22:06
We went into Sainsbury's where I paid 6 for a bottle of Pinot Grigio which had been reduced so I got a bargain there. We were chatting all the time and Suzi asked me where I had come from as she had noticed that I had posted on facebook that I had got the train from Wigan. Another coincidence as she had married someone from Wigan! Well, I know many people from my neck of the woods who marry men from Wigan but don't know too many middle-class gels from the South East who walk down the aisle with a pie-eater.:lol::whistle: We were really having a good laugh and she kept saying it was karma that we had met.:big grin: Not having known each other until we both went on the Dunblane Diamond page, then she requesting me as a friend so recently and having the spare ticket, same hotel, then finding we were both members of the Andy Murray Forum. Suzi was so excited and saying that it was meant to be. And perhaps it was.:clap::clap:

supergran
17-07-2012, 22:24
It was still raining as we made our way to the station and then we spotted a black cab. Suzi ran into the road and stopped it and we were on our way to the AEC to watch Andy in the Final.:yahoo: We got a little excited discussing his chances but we were both feeling very confident yet hoping the rain would stop for the match.:rain: We each felt Andy had the better chance against FedX:facepalm: if it was played outside. Arriving at the gates we we went in, had our bags checked and made our way towards No 1 Court. Suzi then said she wanted to go the the museum and the shop. We decided that I would find our seats and she would join me. I needed to get in touch with my family and so we said goodbye and went our separate ways.

cazza99
18-07-2012, 11:30
Thanks for the lovely blog Supergran :)

Caro
18-07-2012, 12:28
This has become my lunchtime treat at work ;) Looking forward to the "Hill" instalment :barmy:

karanga
18-07-2012, 15:46
Brilliant, Supergran. :thanks: :strawberry:

Looking forward to the next instalment. :yahoo:

traveller7
18-07-2012, 21:03
Oh so nice to read your blogs SG cant wait for the rest.

supergran
18-07-2012, 21:16
I made my way to No 1 Court to check out the seats. Gangway 31, level 3, row V, seats 321 and 322. They were good seats which would obviously afford clear view of the court. The court was covered as it was still raining and I sat down waiting for Suzi. I started chatting to a young man ans his 9 year old son on their first ever visit to the Tournaments. The little boy informed me that Andy Murray was the first British player to get into the Final for 72 years!!!:big grin: "Wow!" I said, "That's a long time, isn't?" thinking blimey, that's how old I am!!:rolling: His father asked me would they show the Men's Final on Court 1 and I told him if it stayed wet then it would be shown on the two screens on the court. He didn't know whether to go on the hill, said he'd decide later. Then they went for food. I phoned Sarah and asked where they were. "Opposite you" came the reply and when I looked across the tent covering the court there they were in the third row. :tennis::tennis: I was so pleased that they had secured No 1 Court tickets. We then played a game of "Flashing our Murray t-shirts" at each other while laughing out loud. :laugh: I suppose the three of them opening and closing their jackets to reveal Andy/Team Murray's name was funny being in a group.:lol::lol: Lord knows what the people around me thought as I stood up and did the same while laughing. I probably looked like a mad woman.:barmy::boogie: Sarah then texted and said they were going for food.

supergran
18-07-2012, 22:04
I was beginning to dither slightly now. Where to go? And when? As Suzi hadn't turned up decided to leave Court 1 and go to the Food area to see if I could catch up with Sarah et al. Stopped for a chat with the very handsome young Fire Officer at the bottom of the steps.:) Told him my husband had been in the Fire Service and we enjoyed a conversation about the Service then and now. I told him that he looked very young and quick as a flash he said "How old do you think I am?" I hate it when they do that!!:doh: I looked at him, at his smooth skin, his clear eyes and said "You're probably about 26." He gave me a lovely smile revealing beautiful teeth and said that he was 38. We laughed and he said it was down to moisturiser. As I moved away he said "And good genes" whereupon I whirled round and said "The trousers aren't bad either!":whistle::big grin::highfive: I walked away as he was laughing. Out into the pouring rain towards the food court.:rain::wimbrolly::strawberry:

supergran
18-07-2012, 22:31
Found out that Sarah and family had gone back into Court 1 to eat so turned around and decided to make my way up to Murray Mount. Just to digress a little I have discovered that when on my own I talk aloud to myself.:lol: I'm not sure how long I've been doing this as I can't remember:confused::confused: but it's definitely on the increase. I even tell myself out loud "Stop talking Maureen!":shocked::shocked: So there I am making my way to the hill saying things like.....I need water, hope I get a spot on the hill, wonder where Suzi is etc etc. I was quite thrilled when a very tall young man passed me and I heard him say aloud to himself "Right, I need a programme". :rolling: Suddenly in front of me I spotted my favourite umpire. "Hi Mo" I called out and bless him he turned, smiled and gave me a little wave.:swingin: I bought water as Suzi had mine in her carrier bag and climbed the steps to the Hill. It had stopped raining and the sun shone and it was very warm.:strawberry::shades: I stepped onto the grass and though to myself "How on earth am I going to find a place to watch the match?" It was absolutely packed as far as the eye could see.:hmm: Had I left it too late?:oops::nailbiter:

jeannie13
18-07-2012, 23:19
Your blog is very entertaining, as always,Maureen. You're a real flirt-chatting up firemen & Mo.:love: You can't be accused of being shy!! Good on you!:laugh: Looking forward to the next exciting installment!!:excited:

Golden Lady
19-07-2012, 08:23
So enjoying reading your blog supergran and looking forward to more! :dance:

Sallydaisy
19-07-2012, 10:00
Thanks for your blog SG - looking forward to reading the rest of it.
Shame the forumites on Murray Mound couldn't meet up but it was seriously mobbed!!!.

Helen40
19-07-2012, 23:27
Are there photos of forumites, I'd love to put faces to names.

Sallydaisy
19-07-2012, 23:33
Are there photos of forumites, I'd love to put faces to names.
Oooh, that could be dangerous - on the internet you never know who might be a stalker!!!
;)

Helen40
19-07-2012, 23:44
Oooh, that could be dangerous - on the internet you never know who might be a stalker!!!
;)
I could stalk you all ;-)

Caro
20-07-2012, 11:40
Oh no! No daily lunchtime fix today :sad: Where is the next instalment?!! :lol: Looking forward to it SG

supergran
20-07-2012, 12:06
So keeping my eye on the screen I gingerly made my way through the crowded area in front of it. I was stepping over bodies lying prone on ground sheets and blankets; avoiding bottles and food spread out on the grass and ducking and dodging groups standing around enjoying convivial lunches.:wino: Every table seemed to be packed with people enjoying the sunshine and their food and drink.:yak: Wine, beer and Pimms much in evidence. As I made my way towards the centre I was eyeing tables and if there seemed to be an empty space I stopped and asked if there was room for one.

supergran
20-07-2012, 12:35
Everyone I asked replied that it was someone's place and so I carried on.:sad: When I was opposite the clock which is to the right of the screen as I was looking at it I decided that I would stop. There was a patch of grass (soaking wet) just behind a table on which sat a group of four women, probably in their early 40s. Although they had their bags on the benches and the table was full of wine bottles and food I thought there was probably room for me to perch at the end of a bench.:):) This is how the conversation went: SG: "Excuse me, do you think I could sit at the end here?" Plump, attractive woman: "Err, well." Sour-faced woman opposite: "No room really." SG: "I could just perch at the end here, I won't take up much room." PAW: "..Mmm". SFW: We've been here from 9.30.":shrug::confused: With that I put my very small overnight bag under their table and looked around. Next to them was a group of four, two young men and two young women wearing tartan Tam o' Shanters. They were standing around a blanket on which was food and drink. They looked very nice and had obviously heard the conversation as one of the young men said "Stand here with us.":welcome::) We introduced ourselves but the only name I can remember is Duncan, the young man who had first spoken. We were chatting about Andy when the next minute a photographer arrived and wanted to take their photograph. I was invited to be on the photo mainly because of my Team Murray t-shirt not my photogenic qualities.:laugh: A few photos were taken and then I asked Duncan what paper they were from. To my horror he answered "The Sun!":eek::shamed:

supergran
20-07-2012, 12:59
The Media-Fest and Singing: Before I continue I would like to state that I had not had an alcoholic drink.:halo: My wine was still in my bag. As long as you understand that what followed was not alcohol-related.:dance::jitterbug::boogie: OK, I decided that we need to start singing our support for Andy as the hour was approaching. So I started singing an easy one for everyone to follow...."There's only one Andy Murray"....Slowly but surely people joined in. I knew they would as drinks had been taken!!;) I turned around and conducted those on the slope and soon everyone about was singing! It sounded fantastic, everyone was smiling and it was a great atmosphere.:party: I then led them with "We Love You Andy!" and it sounded terrific.:clap::clap: With that the Media arrived. I couldn't believe it.....This guy approached me and asked if he could talk to me and told me he was from Radio Wimbledon. Some of you won't believe this but I hate being interviewed as I think I sound like Deidre from "Coronation Street".:laugh::laugh: He asked me if I thought Andy would win and various other questions re Andy's chances. He talked about my t-shirt and also asked me what I thought of Federer.:doh::doh: I said that I didn't like him and he told me to be careful what I said.:laugh::laugh: So I was!!!:grrr: Next minute a young lady from Radio 5 Live stuck a microphone in front of me and asked my my name. She then spoke, introducing me as "Maureen, from Andy's fan club who is leading the singing on the Hill!!!:"laugh:

supergran
20-07-2012, 14:03
And so the jollities continued as the hands of the clock moved to 2!! As we saw the players enter Centre Court a huge roar went up. Almost everyone was standing....well, the PAW couldn't get up.....:laugh:and clapping and shouting for Andy. Must confess I had butterflies in my tummy and my mouth felt dry. So I opened my wine.:wino: Straight away one of the five girls on the table behind said "Come and sit here to watch the match." She wasn't after my wine as they had a steady supply of Pimms throughout the afternoon.;) It was rather nice to have a seat even though I knew I would be on my feet with every brilliant shot that Andy made. It was more civilised to have my bottle and plastic cup + the little food I had on a table instead of on the grass.:yak: These girls were really lovely and Rachel, the one I was sitting next to was especially friendly and charming.:welcome: Within minutes the four friends in tammies, the five girls and I had jelled into a warm and friendly group of Andy supporters and we settled down to watch the match.:tennis::cheer::strawberry:

ljs
20-07-2012, 14:06
SG , Ive really enjoyed reading this & it just keeps getting better !!!!

supergran
20-07-2012, 15:37
The Final: Set 1: This was amazing...Andy was playing so well and looked calm and confident.:clap::clap: We were all shouting, clapping and cheering like mad with every shot and to be honest, with every error made by Fedx :facepalm: I was so glad I was there among Andy supporters and the atmosphere was electric. :yahoo: When he got the break we were like maniacs....high fives were exchanged and I really felt that I was witnessing something special when our man went on to win the set.:clap::dance:

Linda
20-07-2012, 15:40
Sounds like a wonderful afternoon so far!

supergran
21-07-2012, 00:00
:rolleyes::cheer:It was!! A fantastic afternoon! Be with you all later. Am doing my best to remember the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genbrit
21-07-2012, 01:32
Great SG - Really enjoying this. Glad you found some nice people to share with. Can just imagine you leading the singing. :party::wimbly:

supergran
21-07-2012, 15:02
2nd set: There were times in this set when I had to remind myself to breathe. I was so tense but kept up the chanting at each change of ends.:dance::clap: At 4-4 I dared to hope that this was Andy's set as he was playing so well, Much better than FedX:facepalm: I thought. Then when Andy went ahead on Fed's serve I was so excited, then back to deuce then Andy challenged a serve which was in giving Fed advantage and he won the game as Andy's return was wide. Phew:fanning: Andy had chances there.:thumbup::thumbup: A clinically executed game from Andy and it was 5-5. I was hoping and praying Andy would be able to break him here and I sat there muttering my mantra..."come on Andy, come on Andy, come on Andy...." over and over again as Fed got to 6-5.:doh::doh: Around me Andy's fans were hoping for a tie-break as I was so with Andy serving cheers rang out.:yahoo: The way Andy was playing and the manner in which he was winning points at the beginning filled me with so much hope and optimism.:thumbup::clap: Then Fed got a point and it was 30-15. Andy playing an aggressive return overcooked it and it went long and suddenly it was 30 all.:nailbiter::sad::nailbiter: Then, just couldn't believe it......Poor Andy's shot went long after he'd run his legs off to get to and return a drop volley. Set point to Fed and before we knew it it was over. Fed's set 7-5.:crying:

supergran
21-07-2012, 15:16
Point of information: If anyone is wondering why I use the facepalm:facepalm: when I wrote Federer's name.....it simply illustrated my feelings. Can't bear to look at him!!;) This is just my own personal opinion and is not meant to upset anyone.:big grin:

ljs
21-07-2012, 19:07
certainly doesnt upset me , I cant bear to look at him either !!!! :facepalm:

Linda
21-07-2012, 19:31
Totally agree :facepalm:

supergran
21-07-2012, 22:21
3rd set: After the disappointment of the second set was ready to cheer Andy on and cheer I did accompanied by almost everyone on the Hill.:yahoo::yahoo: The first two games went with serve. Andy clinching his game with a brilliant serve that FedX:facepalm: dumped into the net. Then the rains came and play was suspended with FedX 40-0 in the third game.:rain::wimbrolly:

supergran
21-07-2012, 22:48
The Rain Delay: It was obvious to me that this rain delay would help Fed somehow.:grrr: He needed to speak to his coach more than Andy I thought. I was confident though that if they closed the roof Andy would continue to play well but a nagging little voice in my head was saying that it might just favour his opponent.:nailbiter: The tension was palpable and everyone was discussing how the match could change under the roof.:fanning:Then the Media hounds arrived again. :rolleyes: First up was Mr Radio Wimbledon who asked me "Will Andy win and can Andy win?" I ignored the "Will" thinking to myself that if I could forecast the result I wouldn't be standing soaking wet, with my hair flattened and my glasses steaming up. :lol: I would be in my block of Debenture seats on Centre Court with family and friends afforded by my correctly choosing the winning numbers in the Euro Millions lottery.:cauldron::big grin: So I answered the "Can" with " Of course he can. He must keep on playing as well as he is, serve well and stay calm yet aggressive." Or if I didn't say that, as the Pinot was taking effect I meant to.:laugh: I do know that I said something along those lines. To be honest I was getting a little tired of being pursued by the media.:sleepy: I'd hate to be famous!! :shades:

supergran
21-07-2012, 23:05
Next minute up popped little Miss Radio 5 Live. You would have thought that I was a tennis expert the way I was questioned about what Andy should do now and would he win.:laugh::confused: Thankfully just then Sarah and Anna appeared and Miss 5 Live wandered off to seek more learned opinions from the tennis fans. Sarah was wearing my other blue Team Murray shirt and Anna was in the pink one. They were greeted like old friends by my little gang and we had a jolly time taking photographs and chatting. Suzi visited also but didn't stay long and went back to the dry Court 1 seat. We started singing again as the roof was closing. Then my visitors left saying they'd be back for me at the end of the match. I went for a sandwich all the time looking around for other forumites. I knew Sally was there but couldn't spot anyone on my way there and my trek back.:):rain:

supergran
22-07-2012, 21:55
Back to the tennis: Fed:facepalm:won the game. Andy won and it was 2 all. I was very upbeat at the beginning and cheering and singing but was still very tense. Rachel, the girl next to me had decided that she would adopt me as an honorary Gran as she told me there could be a vacancy soon!!:shocked: This relieved some tension and we were laughing our heads off though I did wonder what she really meant.;) Then Andy fell and the mood changed. :nailbiter: I think this was the worst game for me. I was so tense and on edge. Andy was brilliant at the end of this game...so brave but it was such a long game with so many deuces. Then Andy slipped!! I was ready to cry. Then Federer broke and it was 4-2.:crying: Meanwhile Rachel was getting a steady supply of Pimms from her father who was something to do with Wimbledon. Can't recall what she told me but she suddenly decided to include me in the Pimm's club.:wino: So there we all were surrounded by wine, Pimms and absolutely devastated. Andy was playing his heart out and I so wished I was on Centre to cheer him.:dance: Well, the set went to the man from Switzerland. Just a few points......sometimes tennis drives you up the wall.:barmy:

supergran
22-07-2012, 22:25
The 4th set: Not really sure that I want to go through this one as you all watched it.:big grin: On the Hill everyone was still shouting and cheering for Andy and I just wished that the Centre Court crowd would go mad with loud and patriotic support. I wanted them to raise the roof.:yahoo: I did think that if we'd been there as a big group we could have helped him along.:dance::yahoo: Obviously by this time we were all hoping that Andy would win and we could have a fifth set. Suddenly from nowhere two young girls sat on the grass behind us and were shouting for Federer.:facepalm: I couldn't believe it...this was Andy's hill, this was Murray Mound or Murray Mount NOT Federer's Field!! :angry: I couldn't resist. I turned around and asked them if they were Swiss. They told me they were French. "And you're supported a Swiss player rather than a British player?" I said. "Typical!" Thankfully, they were very young and did not really understand my barbed comment.:shades: I left them alone after that. In fact everyone ignored them and they moved before the end of the match.:) At 4-2 I was like a mad woman....cheering, clapping as was everyone around me. But the Swiss bloke did seem to be playing better at times.:grrr::grrr: But Andy, to his credit never gave up and at 4-3 I'm muttering "Right, break him, then hold.....as you all were I'm sure. :swingin:

supergran
22-07-2012, 23:02
The Finale: At last the crowd on Centre came alive and were really cheering and chanting his name as Fed:facepalm: served at 5-4. All at once it was Championship point. Andy saved the first one. But it was not to be. I was absolutely devastated for Andy. He had played so well, he'd given his all and he looked so upset. I was crying:crying: as others were around me and I just wanted to hug him.:grouphug: Instead we were hugging each other and saying how proud we were of lovely Andy.:bravo: The Presentation was so emotional. I was really glad that I couldn't hear the commies at the BBC. Think I would have been sick if I'd heard Bouncy's comments.:ill: Andy's speech was so lovely. He was so complimentary to Roger and when he broke down everyone had tears in their eyes and some. like me. were really crying. When he thanked his supporters it was too much. But all I felt was pride and one day he will hold aloft a Major Trophy and our tears will be of joy.:trophy: To be truthful and I know there are Federer fans on here but the remark he made about Andy winning ONE Grand Slam really annoyed me and I thought how typical of him.:rolleyes: That's all I will say on that. You are not going to believe this but along came Miss Radio 5 Live and she wanted to interview me!! I actually told her to give me a minute as I was still a little emotional. Rescue came in the form of Sarah and Anna who, bless them, knew I'd be upset. Sarah told Miss R5L that I wasn't giving any more interviews which did make me laugh.:laugh:She said that we had to leave to get to Euston. With that we said our goodbyes to my lovely Final friends and we made our way down to meet Ethel and go and collect Sarah and Anna's cases. :swingin:

supergran
22-07-2012, 23:16
And so it was over. I walked with my family to the luggage place clutching my Pimms and singing "We Love You Andy.":dance: From there to the station and at Euston we said our goodbyes. Their train to Manchester was in and my train to Wigan was about ten minutes later. I treated myself to First Class going home. It had been a bit of a whirlwind Saturday and Sunday but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I had been part of history and although I hadn't seen Andy live I was close to him.:clap: That was enough for me. I'm so grateful to Sarah for the hotel room and organising my train ticket and to Suzi for offering me the Court 1 ticket and of course to supergramps who never seems to grumble when I make these quick decisions.:grouphug: Thank you for reading what has been another long blog. Can't seem to write short ones.;) Thanks for your kind comments and I look forward to writing another one in the future.:thumbup: Good night all. xx:grass2::strawberry::grass::wimbrolly::wimbly:

VamosVixs
22-07-2012, 23:24
Excellent blog SG, really enjoyed reading that! :thumbup::hug:

JAMES4578
23-07-2012, 06:37
Fabulous blog and very entertaining Supergran! Glad you had a great time, though of course it would have been better had Andy been the champion! Sure his time can come though.

patmoren
23-07-2012, 07:18
Was obviously worth every minute of the day Mo. Great that you had such good luck.

Golden Lady
23-07-2012, 09:50
Wonderful blog supergran, thank you so much for sharing your day with us. One day those tears will be tears of joy for sure :flowers:

Caro
23-07-2012, 12:17
Brilliant blog as usual SG! You know what, if Andy gets to the final again, a big group of us should be there on that hill, what fun we would have :wino::yak::yahoo::jitterbug:.

Glad you found some Andy fans to share it with but how strange that Suzi didn't join you :confused:

Passionanda
23-07-2012, 14:08
Thank you so much, SG, for your wonderful report....I really looked forward to each instalment and almost felt as if I was there with you....picturing the scenes on Andy's Hill was very easy, thanks to your great descriptions!! Ever thought of writing a book??!!
Next time it WILL be Andy holding up the trophy! :yahoo:

Alis
23-07-2012, 17:51
Thanks SG - super blog! I cried all over again when I read the Set 4 episode - so near and yet so far. I'm really looking forward to your blog when Andy holds the trophy aloft!!

millypops
23-07-2012, 19:05
Really enjoyed reading about your trip to the Final SG, I am afraid I am a bit of a wimp and enjoyed watching the final in the comfort of her house with crab and prawn salad washed down with a bottle of Prosecco, but I was in tears when I walked home I just thought this was going to be Andy's moment, never mind onward and upwards

Linda
23-07-2012, 21:17
Glad you had a great time SG and thanks for your entertaining blog. Just wish Andy could have won!

jeannie13
23-07-2012, 23:18
What a super blog, Maureen. It was so descriptive- you have a real talent for writing. I almost felt I was there with you!!:flowers: I could just see you leading the cheers & the singing!!:jitterbug:
I appreciated when you spaced out each blog-it was so much easier for me to read!!:thumbup::thanks:

traveller7
24-07-2012, 00:06
Great blog thanks great to read and it and re live the highs and lows

xenon21
24-07-2012, 00:35
Thanks for the great blog supergran. Sounds like it was well worth it despite the result! Andy will win in the future I know!

Katie
24-07-2012, 12:04
Thanks for posting your blog supergran, I really enjoyed reading it. It must have been brilliant to have been on the hill during the final. :)

supergran
24-07-2012, 14:22
What a super blog, Maureen. It was so descriptive- you have a real talent for writing. I almost felt I was there with you!!:flowers: I could just see you leading the cheers & the singing!!:jitterbug:
I appreciated when you spaced out each blog-it was so much easier for me to read!!:thumbup::thanks: Specially for you Jeannie!!:thumbup::lol:

supergran
24-07-2012, 21:20
What lovely comments....Thank you all. I really appreciate them.:thanks::thanks:

Linda
25-07-2012, 15:00
Thanks for your great blog, Maureen. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

Jennan
26-07-2012, 13:52
Thanks for the great blog SG - could just picture you leading the cheering etc. You obviously had a fabulous time. (met you once in the food queue at Braehead - brief encounter!!)

supergran
26-07-2012, 14:59
If I remember, you recognised me.:)

davech
27-07-2012, 10:55
Brilliant blog, Maureen! :thumbup: :worship:

Jan
28-07-2012, 15:37
thanks SG - just caught up with the rest of your adventure!

RFS
30-07-2012, 16:28
Alas your blog came in the midst of the end of my course and all the despair that went with it.
Glad you had a good day (despite the result).