PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa 2017: Freezing Fun For Forumites (SuperGranBlog)

supergran
15-02-2017, 14:14
This may take me some time as time is at a premium these days but I will do my best. On Sunday supergramps installed in the Nursing Home as Care Homes inadequate for his needs now. I was mightily relieved to see his lovely room, meet obviously caring staff and to be told they would unpack for him. He was sleepy when I left so got home to finish my packing and to have Monday getting nails and hair done. Up at five to be ready for taxi to take me to Manchester airport. The weather was quite cold. I'll pause here while I laugh.:rolling: It was positively balmy compared to what awaited me on the other side of the Atlantic. The flight to Heathrow was fine and met John, who I had first encountered years ago and had met up with him again in Croatia. Roy was with him and helps him as he needs assistance. I'd asked for assistance also at Heathrow as getting from one terminal to another can be difficult especially if my darned toes and knees play up. So with two travellers in wheelchairs, Roy pushing John we got to our gate quite easily. I was very impressed with Air Canada, lots of leg room and excellent service. I put Bridget Jones's Baby on and fell asleep.:sleepy:

supergran
15-02-2017, 14:42
The three of us shared a taxi and the gentlemen wouldn't let me pay which was very kind. Waving goodbye I checked into the Ottawa Marriott, my luggage was taken to my room and with a couple of minutes to freshen up, check hair and make-up, apply some Estee Lauder perfume, Beautiful if you're interested I made my way down to the bar and Happy Hour.:big grin::wino:

anor
15-02-2017, 14:56
Enjoying your blog as usual, Maureen.

supergran
15-02-2017, 15:22
Talked to the charming barman Hawa, originally from Israel who didn't know anything about the Davis Cup, not many people did .He asked me where I came from and I told him. When I said it was between Liverpool and Manchester he told me the chef was a Man.U fan and said he'd introduce me. Not wishing to tell either of them that I had absolutely no interest in football and I'd rather watch a hen lay an egg.:whistle: I smiled and chatted. The chef was a lovely man and spying my glass of wine he asked me if I liked cheese with wine. On saying I did he told me he would send a gift to my room. It was a very convivial couple of hours and everyone had been very welcoming. Went back to my room to shower and change for dinner and found a beautifully laid out table with white linen cloth, napkins, cutlery and a plate of cheeses, fruit and biscuits plus a bottle of Pinot Grigio in a bucket of ice. I thought that was so lovely of Frederick the chef and decided I was going to enjoy my stay in the Marriott even on my own;)

supergran
15-02-2017, 20:17
I had dinner for one with water and followed by a coffee. Abstinence hour over I walked across to the bar and was greeted by another charming barman who introduced himself as Bob. He had a great sense of humour and soon he was smiling as I gave him character assessments of the few men sitting alone having drinks. One man who seemed a bit older than I was busy on his tablet for most of the evening. He rarely looked up and I decided he was boring. I was proved wrong the following night.:big grin: After a couple of wines felt rather tired so saying goodnight I went to bed. The room was large; two comfy armchairs, table, usual desk and chair,fridge, safe and coffee maker plus large screen tv and, thank goodness plenty of drawers and hanging space. The big bed was so comfy, no shortage of pillows and the spacious shower room containing a chair and shelves for toiletries was lovely. I think I fell asleep almost immediately and woke up at five. Realising I didn't have to get up I turned over and slept for another three hours on and off. Eventually I got up, ready to begin my first full day in Ottawa.

Linda
15-02-2017, 20:18
You landed on your feet there, then, Maureen, despite your feet playing up! If only I'd been in your hotel, I'd have liked a share of your cheese!

WimbledonWestie
15-02-2017, 21:47
Loving this. Have a good giggle at you sitting in bar assessing everyone's character. Can't beat a bit of people watching!

supergran
16-02-2017, 11:26
My first thought was what to wear. I don't mind cold weather, it's a biting wind that affects me. Like my maternal grandmother and my mother I suffer from "a bad back". If I get cold in my back I then get an excruciating pain usually down one side or the other. It usually lasts 3 to 4 days and is very debilitating. I usually try various way to alleviate it such as sitting with a large hard-backed book behind me, pressing my back against a hard surface, exercises and pain killers. I was really worried that it would happen and spoil my enjoyment so had come prepared. As well as pain killers I had sprays and creams but I was really relying on thermals and layers of clothes. So on Wednesday knowing I would be out and about I got ready and this is what I wore: two thermal vests, one sleeveless and one with short sleeves, a sweater and one of Alan's fleece jackets, tights and thermal long johns and a pair of supergramp's woolly socks, a warm gilet, thick-soled warm shoes and a warm jacket with a fur trimmed hood. I also had very fetching pair of ear muffs and thermal gloves. I looked like the Michelin Man.:rolling: Hawkeye and I had been in touch and I suggested we should first go to the venue and see if we could watch the team practising so we arranged to meet at one at TD Place. I got a taxi and was there at one and Hawkeye was waiting for me.

supergran
16-02-2017, 11:29
Roy, don't want to sound rude but this is my blog. I'm sure everyone likes to hear from us and read blogs so please write your own as it tends to distract me and others if two accounts are together.

roytennisfan
16-02-2017, 11:59
Roy, don't want to sound rude but this is my blog. I'm sure everyone likes to hear from us and read blogs so please write your own as it tends to distract me and others if two accounts are together.

Sorry ,i've deleted my post, I had thought by your heading we were all welcome to add

Caro
16-02-2017, 15:54
Enjoying your blog as always SG, I was so hoping you would do one but I didn't want to pester as i know you have a lot on your plate.

Roy - please write a blog too. It's great for those of us not able to be there to read as many as possible.

supergran
16-02-2017, 23:20
The only concession to the cold that I could see was that Hawkeye was wearing a woolly hat! I'm almost sure he was wearing a t-shirt under his warm jacket.....hardy, these Scottish laddies.:cold::worship: First things first, he handed me my tickets and then we stood deciding what to do. Everything in front of us was shut tight. A couple strolled by and told us they had tried to get in but were told it was a closed court. Well, it's not in my nature to be put off so easily!!;) We could see a sloping walkway which seemed to lead to an area underneath the stadium so we walked over and starting downwards. There was a door with a security code box and a general press button. Hawkeye, reminding me of supergramps motioned that he'd stay back so I walked to the door and pressed. A voice answered asking could be help. I said "Yes, I think I need help". He then said 'Is it an emergency?" "A kind of emergency" I answered whereupon he said he would send someone down. Very quickly a young man opened the door. Thinking rapidly I said that I needed to speak to Jamie Murray. He looked at me and told me that only people with accreditation would be allowed in. Swallowing hard I looked him in the eye and said.......

patlowe
17-02-2017, 01:08
Can't wait to read more!!.....

anor
17-02-2017, 08:26
Can't wait to read more!!.....

Ditto!

Passionanda
17-02-2017, 09:06
It's great to get your story in short bursts like this.......live a tv drama serial......can't wait for next episode!! Thanks SG!

Caro
17-02-2017, 13:16
I have more than an inkling of what happens next .... but I still can't wait for the next instalment!

roytennisfan
17-02-2017, 18:41
I have more than an inkling of what happens next .... but I still can't wait for the next instalment!

I know what happened but not letting on!

supergran
18-02-2017, 10:20
......and said "I have accreditation, I'm Mrs Stewart-Jones":halo:......... Thinking how ridiculous does that sound and he's now going to tell me to go I was astonished when he pointed to another door and told me to go through. Giving the nod to Hawkeye we went in. We were faced with a long fairly dim corridor reminiscent of backstage of a theatre or college gymnasium. On the left I was aware of a long table with a group of people sitting and papers in front of them. On the wall behind them were posters but they didn't register as I ignored everybody and set off walking down looking for doors.:::nailbiter::nailbiter: Hawkeye had decided to wait by the entrance! I couldn't see any doors so retraced my steps and suddenly spied an opening. Bingo! Completely unchallenged I went in and found myself in an ante-room where the first person I saw was Louis Cayer. He looked at me rather quizzically but smiled and then the doc walked past me and said hello. A chap approached me and asked if he could help me. I recognised him but don't know his name. I said that I would like to see Jamie and he told me to wait as just to the right were the changing rooms! He went through to get Jamie.:thumbup::big grin:

ally
18-02-2017, 15:35
Loving the blog SG, having caught up with it and now, like everyone else, awaiting the next instalment with baited breath.:thumbup:

Genbrit
19-02-2017, 00:09
Just catching up. Awesome blog as usual Mo. Can't wait for next installment. :)

supergran
19-02-2017, 10:45
I have been a fan of Jamie's for a long time. I remember watching his triumph in the mixed doubles final at Wimbledon with so much pleasure and pride. I first spoke to him at Braehead many years ago. I had a photograph with him and when I put my arm around him was told by the young man taking the picture I would have to be careful as he was married now I laughed and so did he when I retorted that I was old enough to be his gran.:big grin: I was so disappointed and sad when he was in Davis Cup wilderness for a while and struggling to form a solid partnership on the Tour but I always supported him. Judy once said both Andy and Jamie aware that I was probably their No. 1 fan.:boogie::boogie :Over the last few years we have developed a warm friendship and keep in touch often. I have been invited for tea but couldn't make it........................ OK, the last two sentences are fiction:whistle::big grin: But he does recognise me and when he came out of the changing rooms looking fresh and tall with a white towel around his neck he was wearing a huge grin. Hello Maureen he said and I grabbed his hand and gave him a big hug. He then turned to the bloke who had come back out with him and said "This is supergran".:big grin::big grin:

WimbledonWestie
19-02-2017, 12:50
Brilliant! And when u are invited for tea- tell him you're bringing your mates!

goldfish
19-02-2017, 13:26
You deserve such good treatment for your cheekiness! Well done for improvising and getting in - need to learn from you. Great blog and the tie hasn't even started yet. Thank you.

roytennisfan
19-02-2017, 14:31
Supergran was beaming when she told us about seeing Jamie after joining us in local bar with Hawkeye a little later! Jamie of course won Wimbledon with Jelena a good few years before Andy won a slam

supergran
19-02-2017, 20:25
Supergran was beaming when she told us about seeing Jamie after joining us in local bar with Hawkeye a little later! Jamie of course won Wimbledon with Jelena a good few years before Andy won a slam

Thanks for letting everyone know Roy......as if they didn't!!:lol::shades::lightbulb:

Caro
20-02-2017, 06:54
Thanks for the wonderful blog SG. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Silverdee
20-02-2017, 08:46
Yes, me too. I am longing to hear about the bloke in the bar who appearing boring but, tantalisingly, we were told a few days ago that this would turn out not to be the case. Echos of the film Lost in Translation - that is how I visualise this bar!

supergran
20-02-2017, 11:02
We chatted and the first thing he said was that he was pleased I had travelled to Canada and thanked me. I told him there were quite a number of us and we would be making a noise.:cheer::cheer: I congratulated him on his slam success last year and he agreed it had been a pretty good season for Bruno and him.:trophy::trophy: I then said I was looking forward to the doubles, confident that GB would win, and said goodbye. He walked out with me and then I asked him if he had time to say hello to a Scottish fan who was outside. He said sure so I went outside the area and called to Hawkeye. He came in and they chatted for a a short time. We then left Jamie and walked back into the long corridor. Still nobody spoke to us although Hawkeye informed me that security had been on two-way radios discussing me! Words like "Old lady, in a hooded coat just walking around!" Cheek! Old lady indeed.......I'm in my prime!:boogie::jitterbug::rolling: Once outside we discussed the security and agreed it wasn't very efficient. I could have been anyone, someone intent on nobbling the team. We did laugh though about how fairly easy it was to get in if you can act as if you have a right to be there :lol:

Jan
20-02-2017, 11:06
Just brilliant SG - Thanks!

supergran
20-02-2017, 11:18
Hawkeye then suggested a walk to the frozen canal which was quite near. It was a lovely day, blue sky and sunshine when we got the canal where we saw lots of people skating going about their business or simply enjoying themselves. We even saw young mothers on skates pushing their little ones in buggies. It is obviously used like a road and probably faster than being in traffic on actual roads. We walked along, I was hanging on to Ronnie and we had a couple of precarious moments but managed. I really enjoyed the experience and the conversation. A very nice time spent with one of my favourite Scottish gentlemen.:big grin::big grin: We walked back to TD Place and decided it was time for some liquid refreshment, another interest Hawkeye and I have in common.:cheers::cheers:

patlowe
20-02-2017, 12:32
Oh Maureen! You are priceless! That was great you managing to speak to Jamie. I will be seeking to take lessons from you on how to make contact with my fave players!

supergran
20-02-2017, 13:09
Oh Maureen! You are priceless! That was great you managing to speak to Jamie. I will be seeking to take lessons from you on how to make contact with my fave players!

I do charge for lessons as I have to do preparation and provide very confidential information.;):whistle:

patlowe
20-02-2017, 13:40
I do charge for lessons as I have to do preparation and provide very confidential information.;):whistle:

:laugh:

supergran
21-02-2017, 01:06
We opted for Joey Lansdowne's opposite the entrance to the Arena, greeted by a friendly barman and we sat at the bar as we weren't ready for food. He asked us our names and said he'd remember us when we mentioned why we were there and he'd probably see us again. The next time he saw us he did remember.....Ronnie's name and that mine began with an M!:lol: Hawkeye then heard from Roy who told him he and John were in The Local which was next door. We joined them and then spent the afternoon drinking, eating, chatting and going through bar staff like nobody's business.:cheers::beer::big grin: A very convivial afternoon. The place filled up later on and we left, Roy and John to go to their hotel and Hawkeye and I to go to the Marriott for dinner. We enjoyed our meal, chat and more drinks, wine for me as a change to the afternoon beers. We decided to go our separate ways on Thursday as Hawkeye walks everywhere and er.....I don't.:big grin: We said goodnight, Hawkeye left and I went and sat at the bar. The chap who'd been on his tablet on Tuesday night was there but was chatting to another man. They looked across at me and smiled and said hello. The one I had called boring was very charming, rather quiet and English unlike his companion an American who actually was rather amusing and understood irony. :lol: Eventually they asked me where I was from and why I was there. I told them England and the American who was also called Bob said London. Patiently I explained that not everyone who came from England lived in London. Explaining where I lived the man I had thought boring whose name was Don said "Ah you're a Lancastrian, do you know Lady somebody or other, can't remember her name. I laughed and said I didn't but had known Lady Pilkington who had lived quite close to us in Windle Hall. I was amazed when he said he had met her. He was very interesting, worked in some capacity for the Bank of Canada and came over, staying at the Marriott for at least week every six weeks. Bob worked in film making and something technical involving digital transference. He told me he'd put the complete works of Charles Dickens in digital form, whatever that meant.:rolleyes::confused:........was going to write more but this device needs charging as does this woman.;)

supergran
21-02-2017, 10:38
I left them at the bar and they said they'd see me tomorrow. Had a lie-in and got ready taking my time which was lovely. Went down for breakfast, egg, bacon, toast, fruit and a pot of coffee. I decided to take a walk in the area and passed a small mall where I discovered a clothes shop. It was obviously quite select as the merchandise was very classy. Beautiful sweaters, jackets, bags and scarves. I was in my element and couldn't resist two sweaters, lovely casual jacket and a beautiful scarf.:thumbup: Not cheap but cheaper than at home. I chatted to the lady who served me and she didn't know anything about the tennis either although she had heard of Raonic and Nestor.:) Very happy with my purchases I carried on strolling. There was snow and ice at the edge of the pavements which were a little slushy in parts but I managed. I felt warm with my layers but my face was cold and if I put my scarf over my face my glasses steamed up and I couldn't see.:cold::big grin: After a while I retraced my steps and got back to the warmth of the hotel where I took my new clothes to my room, went back down to have coffee and plan what to do next.

supergran
21-02-2017, 14:31
I decided to visit the ByWard Market but when I got there it wasn't under cover....don't know what I expected but it was a bustling area of shops, restaurants and bars. Regarded as the premier destination for shopping, dining, arts and entertainment it attracts 50,000 visitors per weekend in the summer months. Well this visitor didn't really take advantage as it was snowing and my face was freezing!:snowing::snowing: I went into the large Rideau Mall and strolled around. I wanted to find a gift/souvenir shop so located it on the map, asked three teenagers for directions::facepalm::: :big grin: and set off. When I arrived saw a notice in the empty window....Relocating.....but didn't mention where or when.:sad:I went for a coffee, decaf cappuccino, and chatted to three young people. Canadians are so friendly! I then decided to go to the Parliament. Drat, I'd just missed a tour and the next English speaking one was not for two hours. I took a couple of photographs and decided, because of the icy snow to head back to the hotel. I walked back to the Mall and got a taxi. Realising I hadn't eaten since breakfast I ordered soup and coffee. I was meeting Hawkeye and Linda later for a meal so went to my room to rest, watch some TV and give myself time to get ready.

supergran
21-02-2017, 14:59
A hot shower and a change of clothes and I was ready. Hawkeye had told me where they were so went in a taxi to the Royal Oak where Hawkeye, Linda and Helen were already at a table with drinks. It was a typical large bar, very pleasant ambience and a bloke singing and playing guitar. We all ate and it was a lovely evening. Helen regaled us with quite fascinating tales of her experiences as an air stewardess; meeting various celebrities and royalty including Diana and William and Harry when younger. We were all looking forward to the tennis the next day and so our evening ended on a happy note. Linda and Helen walked me back to the Marriott which I really appreciated. On going in was greeted with a hug from a waiter who said "Your friends are at the bar". :yak: The waiter Simon was very handsome, a bit of a flirt which I loved and was going to the Davis Cup on Saturday with his wife and daughter who also had Sunday tickets. I told him firmly we were going to win.:cheer::GBflag: As we were chatting Bob the American and Don waved me over and then ensued a night of much merriment.:party:

supergran
21-02-2017, 19:14
I was the only woman in the bar which didn't faze me having spent years socialising in rugby clubs. Don and Bob were drinking gin and tonic with a lot of ice, typical of drinks in North America while I stuck with Pinot Grigio. I'll admit we did more talking and laughing than drinking. I can talk about most things with perhaps the exception of Nuclear Physics, baking, and the offside rule in football.;);) They wanted to know where my husband was and why he had allowed me to come to Canada alone!! Well after the spirited challenge of the word 'allowed' which rendered them silent for a while:laugh::laugh: I did give them a brief explanation. They were so kind and sympathetic and in admiration of me that I had to tell them to change the subject as I was choking up. I assured them I was not completely alone, was with a group of tennis friends and that there were hundreds of fans in Ottawa from the UK. Bob couldn't understand why so many had crossed the Atlantic to watch tennis. This led to my

rejoinder that about two dozen Americans had crossed the Atlantic to be in Glasgow for the Davis Cup and went on to tease him by asking why was the Baseball competition called The World Series when it was only contested in North America.:confused::rolling::whistle: Everyone was enjoying the banter and with the mention of the Davis Cup Bob, the barman leaned over to speak to me.in

WimbledonWestie
21-02-2017, 20:04
I'd have paid money to hear the discussion of the word 'allowed'.:laugh::laugh:

supergran
21-02-2017, 21:09
I'd have paid money to hear the discussion of the word 'allowed'.:laugh::laugh:

You would have loved it. Think they were stunned.:laugh:

supergran
22-02-2017, 12:50
Bob pointed to a table in the eating area of the bar where 5 men were enjoying drinks and a chat.:cheers::yak:He told me they were a tv team covering the Davis Cup and suggested I meet them. I walked over to them and Bob introduced me. Again, amazement expressed that I'd travelled to Ottawa for the tie so I happily told them about the loyal fans and where we had travelled to support the GB team.:GBflag:They were really friendly, charming and very amusing. The director asked where I was sitting so I showed him my tickets whereupon to my surprise he wrote the details down and said they'd find me. (with the camera).:big grin: One of the group was younger than the others and had a bag containing racquets. I was told his name was Jesse Levine and he had played D.C. for Canada and had been hitting today. He was lovely and I remarked that he had a look of Dan Evans. We discussed the teams and I told them I was looking forward to seeing the Canadians and also looking forward to beating them!:cheer::cheer: They were so friendly and impressed that so many supporters from Britain would be there. I had a photograph taken with Jesse, have I mentioned he was lovely, shook hands, a few hugs and back to my friends at the bar. Soon after Don and Bob were ordering more G&T and asked me to have another. I thanked them, refused and said goodnight.:) Tennis the next day......so looking forward to it. And so to bed.:sleepy:

themass15
22-02-2017, 13:05
Bob pointed to a table in the eating area of the bar where 5 men were enjoying drinks and a chat.:cheers::yak:He told me they were a tv team covering the Davis Cup and suggested I meet them. I walked over to them and Bob introduced me. Again, amazement expressed that I'd travelled to Ottawa for the tie so I happily told them about the loyal fans and where we had travelled to support the GB team.:GBflag:They were really friendly, charming and very amusing. The director asked where I was sitting so I showed him my tickets whereupon to my surprise he wrote the details down and said they'd find me. (with the camera).:big grin: One of the group was younger than the others and had a bag containing racquets. I was told his name was Jesse Levine and he had played D.C. for Canada and had been hitting today. He was lovely and I remarked that he had a look of Dan Evans. We discussed the teams and I told them I was looking forward to seeing the Canadians and also looking forward to beating them!:cheer::cheer: They were so friendly and impressed that so many supporters from Britain would be there. I had a photograph taken with Jesse, have I mentioned he was lovely, shook hands, a few hugs and back to my friends at the bar. Soon after Don and Bob were ordering more G&T and asked me to have another. I thanked them, refused and said goodnight.:) Tennis the next day......so looking forward to it. And so to bed.:sleepy:

I remember the name of Jesse Levine and seeing him down in tournaments in North America. Never saw him play though. Sounds like you had an absolutely amazing time.

Linda
22-02-2017, 19:10
I remember that name too.

Alis
22-02-2017, 21:20
Didn't he play for the U.S.A. initially and then swap allegiance to Canada or have I totally mis-remembered that?

anor
22-02-2017, 21:34
Yes Alis, that's what I remember about him.

supergran
22-02-2017, 21:37
After a late breakfast got a taxi to TD Place armed with water hidden in the large AMFF flag, my Union flag, rattle and scarf. The taxi couldn't drop me near the venue and was directed down the main road which meant a walk and crossing a busy road with icy, snow-covered verges. I crossed with a number of people and arriving at TD Place went into Joey Lansdowne's where we had lunch and more alcohol.....to soothe the nerves......:lol: The late start meant that many fans were having lunch and drinks and the place was packed as the afternoon wore on. The doors opened and many fans started queuing to get in. We waited for a while and then walked up the slushy steps with the icy rails where inside we still had to join a queue to have tickets scanned and bags searched. Security was evident here at least.:big grin: Crowds of Canadian and British supporters were pushing their way towards entrances, queuing at food and drink stalls, having their faces painted, buying merchandise and 50/50 tickets and there was an atmosphere of good humour and enjoyment enlivened by various group chanting and shouting as they moved along. It was great to be back for a D.C. tie.:jitterbug::cheer:

supergran
23-02-2017, 14:58
We found our seats, third row to the left of the umpire and right behind the Barmy Army. Behind us were Murraynators, BATS and We Are Tennis and other GB supporters. Most were wearing Back the Brits shirts and we'd found our Ottawa ones on our seats when we got in. It was fantastic to be so close to the BA and I really enjoyed being part of an organised support group and singing and chanting with them.:GBflag::cheer: I won't describe the match as I'm sure everyone has seen it even if you couldn't watch it live. I love watching Dan and his style of play and he was good, effort so obvious. Dennis is no slouch and I was impressed as he is very young. The British support was tremendous and I did notice a few bemused and even disapproving glances across when we continually stood as one and belted out our vocal support of our super Dan.:rolleyes::surprised::cheer: Dan won, as we were confident he would and then we had a break when most people left for refreshments etc. We were a happy band of supporters looking forward to Kyle and Vasek. I think most of us realised that this would be a tough one but had faith in Kyle. :) Well, after the first set he seemed to go off the boil and allowed Popsipil to get the upper hand. We cheered and chanted, waved our flags and made such a noise,:cheer::clap::dance::GBflag::jitterbug: by now having to compete with the Canadians who had increased in number, but Kyle seemed out of sorts, obviously having difficulties with Vasek and the fast court and the rubber was lost. We were even at 1-1. Tomorrow would be crucial.......once again.:nailbiter::nailbiter:

supergran
23-02-2017, 20:32
Eventually after wandering around outside in search of somewhere to eat Roy managed to get a taxi and I suggested they all come to the Marriott. At least we were sure of a table without queuing. The four of us ordered our meals and drinks relieved that we were warm and dry. On a table next to us sat a couple w/o had been to the tennis and we chatted for a while. The woman was British and her husband Canadian and she was a great Andy fan and had hoped to see him. She was very disappointed he wasn't playing as she had been at the Rogers Cup to see him and he hadn't played.:love::sad::sad: There must still be people who have never seen Andy live so I consider myself very lucky.:big grin: Mind you it's cost a pretty penny I must say but not one begrudged....... No pockets in shrouds!:laugh: We enjoyed our meal and chat and when they left I took up my usual seat at the bar. :cheers:

supergran
23-02-2017, 20:35
Am rushing now aware that Dubai is close and my brother and sis-in-law are coming from Wiltshire on Saturday afternoon.

patlowe
23-02-2017, 20:58
Great blog Maureen. I have really been enjoying it! Thank you.

supergran
23-02-2017, 23:20
(Am rushing now aware that Dubai is close and my brother and sis-in-law are coming from Wiltshire on Saturday afternoon.) Being in an hotel on your own and not experiencing the usual post match get-togethers was a little strange so the staff and guests I'd got to know were company for this night- owl who hadn't been away since September and only been out in the evening once when Alan was in hospital.:sad::sad: There was some interest and amusement at my GB gear:GBflag::GBflag: and my handbag was admired by a female member of staff who said her daughter would love it. She also loved my bracelet which I wear all the time. I didn't stay long as it had been a tiring day.....:sleepy::sleepy:.all that emotion, excitement and what a few of us call tennis aerobics tend to leave one slightly drained so I went to bed and slept very well, again waking before the alarm.

supergran
24-02-2017, 01:54
After another hearty cooked breakfast I was in a taxi and heading for the venue. There was far more traffic on the road and it seemed more people walking. Couldn't get near the venue and it was obvious there would be far more people inside today. I was reminded of San Diego where it was exactly the same......empty seats Friday and Sunday and packed out on Saturday. I love doubles and was looking forward to seeing Daniel Nestor one of the legends of Davis Cup and still a danger at the age of 44. When he was introduced the standing ovation from Canadians and Brits alike was quite moving and thoroughly well-deserved. Although they were the higher ranked team at DC I reckoned that Jamie and Dom could beat them as they are younger than Nestor and Pospisil might get tired. As you know they were pretty evenly matched and the first two sets went to tiebreaks. The Canadians were very loud across from us but we never let up in our loud and vigorous support. Also our support is far more interesting and personal and definitely more entertaining.:jitterbug::cheer::yahoo::dance: In the third set Jamie and Dom were definitely gaining advantage and Dom's bombs were amazing. They took the third and to our absolute joy and some relief the fourth was easier and Dom served it out and we were 2-1 up. No doubt the double fault from Vasek was a gift and probably affected him more as he was tiring. Once again an exciting, thrilling must win doubles match had been won and we left the stadium happy and optimistic for Sunday.:thumbup::cheer:

supergran
24-02-2017, 12:14
This is when everything was a bit frustrating......well a lot actually. In Joey Lansdowne I asked if they could call me a taxi. I was eager to get back to hotel for a leisurely shower and get ready for our forum meal. Told it would be a few minutes so I stood near the doorway and waited........and waited.......and waited.:sad::sad: From time to time I ventured outside. It was freezing cold and snowing. I never once saw big snowflakes all the time I was there, instead small icy flakes swirled around which were very uncomfortable on my face. So in and out I went for almost an hour and a quarter. It was then that I really missed Alan!:crying: I went back to the desk and feeling rather low I explained to the lovely girl on duty what had happened. She could sense I was a bit upset and she said she would phone for an Uber. :thumbup:This came within five minutes and soon I was in a warm car with a heated seat on my way to the hotel. Getting out I asked the driver how much to which he replied "It's paid for" I gave him a tip and thanked him. I got in touch with Hawkeye. He hadn't found a restaurant yet and said he'd let me know where they were. It was really nice to be dressed up for a Saturday evening out and I was looking forward to the meal with forum friends.:big grin:

supergran
24-02-2017, 12:49
The restaurant chosen was Mezzanotte and to my surprise we were only four. The restaurant was lovely but crowded and although the menu was fine the wine was hideously expensive as Linda has said in her blog. We shared a bottle of Pinot, Ronnie had beer and Roy ordered his usual Irish coffee. He's the only person I know who has this drink all the time but he didn't always get quite what he wanted.:big grin: Everyone enjoyed their meals and we talked and laughed a lot.:yak: It was a lovely evening even when Roy couldn't get his cherry brandy and asked for a Drambuie and got a Campari!:rolling: We said goodnight all agreeing that Sunday was crucial and Dan would have a tough match and if it came down to a fifth rubber Kyle had to be at his best. We were all fairly optimistic as we parted company.:thumbup::thumbup: Arriving back at the Marriott I was greeted with hugs from Simon, and a kiss on the hand from Don. It was party time again!:party:

ljs
24-02-2017, 18:38
Thanks Supergran , really enjoyed reading this !!!!!

supergran
24-02-2017, 23:35
The conversations I'd had sitting at that bar has been many with wide-ranging topics. From discussing Atahualpa and the Spanish Conquistadors with a business man from Peru who told me it was one of the most interesting and enjoyable conversations he'd had in an hotel bar while on business ;)to chatting to an American University lecturer about bringing up children and sticking to sanctions. He said his wife was the lenient one who kept saying "Do that again and you will not........" whatever... and she couldn't keep to it. I advised him that she should think before she issues the threat and then do it immediately and stick to it. It was like being an agony aunt because he was hanging on to my every word.:boogie: A different conversation for him in a bar I've no doubt.:big grin: Don and Bob who seemed to be quite good friends always enjoyed round after round of G &T and throughout the week kept asking me to have a drink and I always refused. One night they asked me why and I explained that I could buy my own and didn't expect men I'd just met to buy drinks for me. They were surprised by this and said I was unusual!:big grin::halo::big grin: Well, I've been called many things as you can imagine but I liked 'unusual' ;)

supergran
25-02-2017, 00:28
Sunday and the all important reverse singles. It was an enthralling encounter and when Dan started so well and led with break points for 4-1 we were very excited and roared him on. :dance::yahoo:Alas Vasek's serve kept him in the set which went to a tie break which he won. He also clinched the second and the loyal Brits were at their noisiest providing loud vocal support for our Dan. :yahoo::cheer:When he won the third we went wild and hopes were raised. Could he come back? But Pospisil surged back and with no signs of his injury served and played extremely well in the fourth negating Dan's lead of 4-2 Another tense tie break and Dan was ahead but Vasek's serve and forehand were too good and the rubber was lost. :crying::crying:It was now up to Kyle. After the break I think we were nervous but hopeful. Kyle played well and won the first two sets and then he broke Shapovalov in the third the crowd went mad.:jitterbug::dance::cheer::cheer: I had been cheering wildly when everyone fell silent. I didn't know what was going on as I was
looking at Kyle. Hawkeye told me and we all stood around watching the drama unfold. Dennis sat down sobbing while officials talked and the GB team looked very serious and concerned. The umpire's eye looked dreadful, discoloured and swollen and the injured eye closed. You all know what happened....disqualification and GB were through,certainly not in the manner we wished for and Kyle looked set for victory. I was disappointed for him that he'd been robbed of clinching the tie but that was that. The officials and the Canadians left and we and the team started our usual celebrations. :GBflag::bravo::yahoo::clap:

'

Genbrit
25-02-2017, 04:33
Excellent blog as usual SG. Thanks so much :)

supergran
25-02-2017, 11:25
We sang and danced.....the Twist ....which always takes me back to when I was a teenager and danced every Friday and Satuday. We didn't frequent pubs in those days, dancing was our thing.....ballroom, Latin and of course rock and roll which I loved. Chubby Checker popularised the Twist and it was very energetic, fun and also great exercise. Mind you, I was a size 8 in those days and my figure was straight up and down. My friends and I were all very slim but perversely we wanted to look like the Hollywood stars who possessed rather more generous proportions.:big grin::big grin: We chanted and sang especially Dan's special one. Parties and Dan go together!! Leon made a speech thanking us all for being there and for the fantastic support.:thanks::GBflag::thanks: Gradually the team relaxed and danced and waved. Doc danced as usual and received a loud cheer. Everyone was so happy and the atmosphere was fantastic. :cheer::yahoo: Eventually we had to let them go and waved, cheered, called out to them as they walked away high-giving fans who had scrambled to the front.:highfive::highfive: I noticed the doc talking to Jamie MacDonald, Captain Barmy and when home found out that he'd had dinner with a group of the BA in the hotel. They have been fantastic supporters and it was the doc's last Davis Cup so I thought that was rather lovely. Hawkeye and I left the stadium, didn't really see Roy or Linda after that. We walked across to Joey Lansdowne's as there would be no chance of a taxi at that time with thousands pouring out of the stadium. Hawkeye ordered beers and the television in front of us was showing the Superbowl, well the preamble though think it started before I left.

patlowe
25-02-2017, 13:25
From SG's blog #41....One of the group was younger than the others and had a bag containing racquets. I was told his name was Jesse Levine and he had played D.C. for Canada and had been hitting today. He was lovely and I remarked that he had a look of Dan Evans.....

Jesse Levine was a co-commentator on Tennis TV last night during Kyle's match with Raonic!!

JAMES4578
25-02-2017, 14:08
Quite an adventure, such detailed account and entertaining blog!

supergran
25-02-2017, 15:07
I asked Hawkeye if he fancied going to the Westin later on but he said he was getting settled watching the Super Bowl. We chatted for a while and then with hugs and thanks from me for his company all week we said goodbye.:thanks::hug:I would have stayed longer but it was awful weather and I didn't want a long wait for a taxi again. I asked another charming young lady to phone for me and remembered to thank her and to pass on thanks to the girl from last night for her kindness. Hallelujah, the taxi must have been around the corner as it arrived while I was still at the desk.:cheer: I went straight to my room and took my time getting ready and changing into my "going-out" clothes. While I was titivating I decided to open the wine that I'd received on my first evening! I enjoyed quite a large glass wondering when the heck I would finish it.:laugh: Ready to my satisfaction I went downstairs. Now this dialogue had been running through my mind on a loop. "I'll go to the Westin, there's bound to be someone I know."....."But, suppose there isn't anyone and I'm my own" ......"Well, that's never bothered me before but I don't want to look like a hanger-on or a stalker." .......Ok, I'll go after I've eaten".......It's snowing and will I get a taxi back?" On and on my thoughts raced as I went and sat down and ordered my celebratory dinner for one! :sad:

lovetennis
25-02-2017, 15:20
Aw sorry to hear it was the doc's last DC. I'll miss him handing out the jaffa cakes. Great blog SG, really enjoying each installment

supergran
25-02-2017, 16:02
I had water with my meal as I had already drunk a large wine in my room and I didn't want to be squiffy going into the Westin......or was I going? Still couldn't decide. I allowed myself a few moments of nostalgia and of sadness. Nostalgia recalling the fantastic, sociable and often hilarious times I'd had with forum friends and the receptions I'd enjoyed when the ties had been won:party: and sadness that supergramps wasn't with me on the last night as he had been for the last few years.:crying::crying: I knew that he was being looked after in the Nursing Home and had had a lovely weekend with our son, daughter-in-law who had stayed at our house and visited him every day, even taking him to a pub to watch the rugby.:big grin::big grin: I soon recovered and was back to my usual happy state though still having inner arguments about whether to go the Westin or not. There was something different about the bar......There was a woman sitting there.....a very loud and very large lady.:):) I went over to the bar and was told I looked lovely by Bob. The loud lady agreed and moved nearer to me and started chatting. She had obviously been there a while and was quite inebriated.:shelebrate:

Passionanda
25-02-2017, 22:50
Fantastic blog, SG!! I felt as if I was there with you throughout!! :bravo: :thanks:

supergran
26-02-2017, 00:06
Fantastic blog, SG!! I felt as if I was there with you throughout!! :bravo: :thanks:

Wish you had been!

supergran
26-02-2017, 00:47
The lady for I presume she was a lady told me she had been working across from the hotel. She liked working when everywhere was quiet and then she'd call in here for a few drinks. I thought it was rather strange as it was Sunday and she told me she lived around the corner but would be leaving in an Uber! I asked her what was the difference between Uber and ordinary cabs and she grabbed my arm and with a maniacal laugh said 50%!:confused::barmy: I couldn't understand most of what she was saying as she was slurring her words but Bob the barman seemed to know her and was smiling and chatting to her as she ordered another cocktail. I then decided to leave and go to the Westin. I went to the loo and on my return she had moved around the bar and was leaning against a fellow and talking and laughing. :thumbup::phew: My inner voice was telling me it was snowing and cold and asking did I really want to move. So I stayed where I was telling myself it was the wise decision. :big grin: My inner voice said "Well, that's a first for you, you must be getting sensible in your old age".Sometimes inner voices can get on one's nerves!!:grrr::lol: Then Don and Bob arrived, they had been to staff member's home to watch the SuperBowl. Then a very striking woman arrived and sat next to me. We chatted and she told me she had been a volunteer at the Davis Cup and her job was to drive the team to and from the venue. She ran a travel agency dealing with tennis packages and lived in Seattle. She was really lovely and we got on very well. :big grin::big grin: We were all having a really good time and I felt quite happy and in the party mood. There was lots of chat about the surprise end to the Davis Cup and the unbelievable result in the Super Bowl. It was about midnight when my new friend Julie said she was going to a Karaoke bar and asked if I'd go with her.:laugh: I did think about it and she was very persuasive but I had my sensible head on and remembered my son's remark to me......"Don't go in any strange clubs or bars as you did in Birmingham!":shamed::facepalm:

supergran
26-02-2017, 01:33
Just after one o'clock Julie returned. It had been very quiet in the karaoke bar, she had sung one song and left. We then had a good chat about tennis and she invited me to Indian Wells as her guest. I would have to fly to Seattle and then on to IW where the delights of the venue and tournament awaited me. She showed me photographs of her and top players, there were a few with Federer. She also liked Andy which made me warm to her more. I think we sang some old songs.....I definitely remember Perry Como's Magic Moments and Sinatra's Come Fly With Me. I think we were a rather merry group by this time and I remember thinking I'm celebrating GB's Davis Cup win with people I've only known for a short time and I'm really having a wonderful time.:party: Both Don and Julie then invited me for breakfast in the executive dining room the next day. Julie's time of 9.30 was more attractive than Don's 8.45 and I agreed to meet her on the 27th floor. I then said goodnight and left the merry party. Told you I was becoming sensible!!:halo::lol:

millypops
26-02-2017, 12:50
Sounds like you had a better evening at your own Hotel than going to the Westin
I do know that Richard and Julie didn't go to Canada transparently Richard no longer holds the tie post with the LTA
I have really enjoyed reading all about the trip

supergran
26-02-2017, 14:21
I enjoyed my breakfast in the Executive Lounge. Lovely company good food and an in incredible view of Ottawa. We chatted away like old friends, took photographs and shared tennis experiences. Julie lived in Renton, Washington. Not sure how I got Seattle, probably because I'd have to fly to go on to I.W.:) She had decided to stay in Canada and visit her mother who lived in Toronto where Julie came from. Now, Julie was an elegant 60 year old and obviously not short of a bob or two judging by her jewellery.:big grin: She showed me photographs of her mother who was very attractive and and also very elegant. She obviously moved in exalted circles as one photograph showed her with the Prime Minister! Julie phoned her husband to inform him of her changed plans and talked about me and got him to say hello.:big grin: We left and said goodbye and went to our respective rooms. I had arranged a late check-out so I finished packing, changed into clothes for travel and lay on the bed and fell asleep. :sleepy::sleepy:

supergran
26-02-2017, 14:48
I must have slept for two hours as I woke up about 2.30. I noticed an envelope under the door so checked my bill. As well as the normal room charges there were taxes, one of which I didn't understand. I had also been charged for the bottles of water put in the room daily. I went to Reception to pay and query the extra charges. I was told the tax was a Tourism tax which was optional!!:confused: I then told the young man if it was optional I was opting not to pay it.:big grin::big grin: I also said I thought the water was free and hey presto it was removed giving me a reduction of over $100.:cheer: Then met Julie getting her luggage out of storage and she said she was going to look for me as she wanted to give me a cap from I,W. I thanked her and we said goodbye she saying that I must get in touch for a trip to Indian Wells. Wouldn't that be lovely?:):) The rest of the day seemed to drag. I had a late lunch, went back to my room and had some wine........I was not going to be able to finish the bottle! :eek: I checked the room leaving something for Helen my lovely chambermaid, and the wine:crying::crying: and went downstairs to while away the time before getting a taxi to the airport.

supergran
26-02-2017, 19:13
I arrived at the airport early. The weather wasn't good, snow and freezing cold. I was surprised how small the airport was, serving a capital city.The few shops, duty free shelves:lol: and the one bar were right near the gate so after buying a few souvenirs and a bottle of vodka for Tim and Sarah went and sat at the bar. I was the only one there.:big grin:The barman greeted me and I ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio. He was very friendly and we were soon chatting away. Eventually other people arrived and sat at the tables and a young woman sat near me at the bar. She was very friendly told me she was a nurse, that she and her fiance owned and ran a vineyard and that she was going to Switzerland to meet his parents for the first time. He was already there for the funeral of his grandmother.:sad: I told her about the D C and my stay in the Marriott and soon we were laughing our heads off. She thought I was very funny!:laugh::laugh: Roy and John then turned up, Roy spoke to a few people but they didn't sit down and then they were gone. The barman came over to us with two glasses of wine and we both said we were only having one. "On the house" he said and thanked me for being the first customer and "bringing others in"!!!:) Some powers I am totally unaware I have.:cauldron::cauldron: People were moving as our flight had been called and laughing Anne and I were downing our drinks keeping our eyes on the queue. Shaking hands with the charming owner of the bar we thanked him and walked to the gate. I think that I was the last on the plane although we'd kept up with the queue. As I turned right I was faced with the slanting single seats of business class. Three rows, right, left and centre and all full of mostly men just staring at me though I kept my eyes looking ahead until I recognised someone in the second seat on the right.:GBsmile:

supergran
26-02-2017, 19:36
It was Kyle looking exhausted. He returned my smile with a smile and we shook hands. I congratulated him and commiserated that he hadn't had the joy of clinching the tie. Had a few more words with him, he thanked me and clutching my handbag, carry-on case and the bottle of vodka I moved on. I'm aware that carrying a see-through bag of vodka says "drinker" and not "gift" to most people as had already been subjected to banter.....nod nod, wink wink getting on the plane and more when I got off.:rolleyes::facepalm:I then saw Leon who was watching my progress. He looked worse than Kyle and I surmised they'd had a heavy night.:wino::cheers::shelebrate: We shook hands and had a brief chat. He was obviously happy but agreed not the ending they would have wanted. He thanked me for travelling and I asked where Dan was. My Jamie antenna was working and I didn't think he or Dom were on the plane. Leon pointed across the cabin to where Dan was curled up seemingly asleep. I'll wake him up then I said and Dan opened his eyes and grinned. I was then aware that no one was speaking.......just watching. So I called across "Well done, great tie" He muttered thanks and then, and I've no idea why I did this except everyone was staring at me I said loudly to everybody "Bloody cold though, wasn't it?" Grinned and went through to find my seat.:laugh::brr::laugh: :/ uhh

supergran
26-02-2017, 19:56
I'm rushing now........My screen wouldn't work. Taken to seat near the front on the other side. Sat with back to dividing panel/ storage for cabin crew behind a large young man who constantly moved backwards and forwards and his seat was back.:grrr::grrr::grrr:Asked him when he was going to stop to which he replied that I'd moved there from somewhere else. I then told him to stop and he said he'd report me. Be my guest I hissed and he shut up. Didn't stop moving about so I reported him.I then moved across the aisle to the window seat. The centre seats were much better but I needed to sleep. My traveling companion was a sweet old man of 86 traveling to Lebanon, his home country, to visit his brother. I watched a film something daft with Jones in the title and I did sleep. The wine I ordered with my meal was left unopened. I was all wined out!:lol::lol:

supergran
26-02-2017, 20:05
Arrived at Heathrow and with John and Roy we eventually got to BA gate for our flight to Manchester. I slept for most of journey and after kind assistance to carousel and outside , saying quick goodbyes to Roy and John I waited for my taxi which was in the vicinity. Felt the difference in temperature immediately and was very tempted to start removing layers in the car but didn't want to frighten the driver.:boogie: Arrived home and left my case in the hall, switched on fire and slept.

supergran
26-02-2017, 20:17
Postscript: Loved the Canadian people who were so kind and helpful though I mostly met them in bars.:laugh: The ice sculptures and the frozen canal were fantastic and the food and wine excellent.Really liked what I saw of the city and would have loved to have seen more. The Ottawa Marriott is one of the friendliest hotels I've stayed in, typical of hotels in North America. They really looked after me and I always felt I was amongst friends. Many thanks to my fellow forumites and a special thanks to Hawkeye for his company. My last thanks are for the young man who recognised that the only accreditation I need is my name.:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

patlowe
26-02-2017, 20:26
Maureen, that was all a fantastic read. Throughout the whole blog, your personality and charisma shone through. Great how you made friends. Thank you for all the effort! :thanks:

AllyB
26-02-2017, 21:10
Another great blog SG, I've really enjoyed it.

Caro
26-02-2017, 21:44
Thank you SG. Fantastic blog as ever :clap::clap::clap:

WimbledonWestie
26-02-2017, 22:00
Wonderful blog!

goldfish
26-02-2017, 22:11
Made me smile quite a few times. I can definitely learn how to make the most of a DC tie from you. Hope you enjoy a quieter week watching Dubai and entertaining relatives. Thanks for your memories.

jackie55
27-02-2017, 19:28
Thanks for your blog SG, brilliant sounds like you had a lot of fun as well as watching some tennis:dance:

supergran
27-02-2017, 20:33
The Flag: I did have the AMFF flag with me every day but had difficulty finding a place for it. The Barmy Army flag is large also as is the Murraynators. and of course we were all in the same area with limited rail space in front of us. On Sunday I did get in and fixed the flag but was told quite quickly it was obscuring the logo so I moved it and then it was covering other flags. After some time I noticed that it was looking a bit bedraggled so I went and retrieved it and stowed it safely in my bag. I know there were some comments about the flag so thought I'd explain.:GBflag:

WimbledonWestie
27-02-2017, 20:38
We knew it was there- it was like you brought us with you in spirit!

Passionanda
27-02-2017, 23:28
Loved reading about your Canadian adventures, SG! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic account of your DC time in Ottawa! Superb!! :thanks:

angiebabez
28-02-2017, 17:30
We knew it was there- it was like you brought us with you in spirit!

Not much good in a bag & we cant chuffin see it lol :laugh:

WimbledonWestie
28-02-2017, 19:19
I deffo saw it one of the days!

Linda
28-02-2017, 19:31
Thank you for your blog, SG - as I said on Roy's blog, it's interesting to hear what the other amffers were up to. I had no idea you were living it up till all hours! You certainly kept that close to your chest!

ally
28-02-2017, 22:06
OMG, brilliant Supergran. Your recount of your trip is brilliant, chuckled my way through.

Jennan
01-03-2017, 19:15
Always enjoy your blogs SG. Excellent as usual.

supergran
02-03-2017, 13:49
Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my blog. I do realise it did take up your time but am very grateful for your thanks and really lovely posts of appreciation. I enjoyed writing it but honestly didn't think it would take so long. My writing obviously matches my talking. As my lovely dad once said to me "You were vaccinated with a gramaphone needle".:rolling::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Hawkeye
02-03-2017, 14:39
You'll need to explain that joke to us younger folk...

Josephine
02-03-2017, 22:17
Yes very enjoyable blog - as they all were!

You were all very intrepid.

JerryD
03-03-2017, 19:17
Thank you for your blog SG, I enjoyed it :) I was gutted that we couldn't be there but loved hearing about :)

jagmad
05-03-2017, 22:41
"You were vaccinated with a gramaphone needle"

Brilliant can't get my breath. :flowers::rolling:

xenon21
01-05-2017, 12:21
You are brilliant SG! Really enjoyed your blog!!!