Olympic Gold & Silver Medallist, USO Champion 2012
Team GB - Davis Cup Champions 2015
Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 761 of 761 FirstFirst ... 261661711751759760761
Results 7,601 to 7,608 of 7608

Thread: Newspaper and internet reports

Re: Newspaper and internet reports

the Times is behind a paywall - so could you post a section of the article? i too remember Andy saying it might be his last game and the tributes that followed it.

I think this should be 2019 not 2017

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guerkins2 For This Useful Post:

HoopGirl (17-01-2022)

Express - Andy Murray told what he needs to do for 'really good success' in Australian Open

Hello - Andy Murray on 'missing' wife Kim and their kids in emotionally-charged post-match speech

The Herald - Andy Murray AMC: What does it mean and why does he use it on social media?

BBC - Australian Open: Emma Raducanu & Andy Murray start Melbourne bids

ATP - Day 2 Preview: Murray Ready For Rematch, Medvedev Begins Title Pursuit

“It’s a tough, tough draw,” said Murray, currently mentored by Basilashvili’s former coach Jan De Witt. “I would expect another difficult one. He’s a huge hitter of the ball. Hits the ball
    very clean from both sides and takes a lot of risks. I need to go out and play another top match to win against him in Melbourne.

“He’s not an easy guy to play against, because he can hit winners from all over the court. Not easy to prepare for that.”

Murray recently sang the praises of another player who has come within a match of the title in Melbourne Park, 2021 finalist Daniil Medvedev, signalling the Russian as just the kind of player who can break up the prolonged dominance of the Big Three of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

“It’s nice to hear these words from somebody like Andy, such a champion,” said the World No. 2, who was outplayed by Djokovic in last year’s AO final, but later avenged the loss in claiming his first Grand Slam title at the US Open.

Guardian, Tumaini Carayolhttps://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...vili-dan-evans
    "Throughout the third set, Murray resolved to retrieve every last ball. He chased down bullet after bullet, he scythed forehand slices and threw up ample rally-resetting defensive lobs. Many points ended with supreme, destructive groundstroke winners from Basilashvili, but even more were decided by Murray’s movement and court sense"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harriet For This Useful Post:

anor (Yesterday), cazza99 (Yesterday), JAMES4578 (Yesterday)

BBC - Australian Open: Andy Murray beats Nikoloz Basilashvili in Melbourne

Eurosport - ANDY MURRAY OVERCOMES NIKOLOZ BASILASHVILI IN FIVE-SET EPIC TO REACH SECOND ROUND ON AUSTRALIAN OPEN RETURN

“It’s been a tough three or four years,” said Murray, who looked as though he might have played his last match at the Australian Open after losing to Roberto Bautista Agut three years ago.
    “I’ve put in a lot of work to get back here. I played on this court many times and the atmosphere is incredible and I’ve always had fantastic support.

“This is the one where I thought I’d potentially played my last match three years ago but it’s amazing to be back and winning a five-set battle like that, couldn’t ask for any more.”
    Eurosport - ANDY MURRAY 'CAN GET BACK TO THE TOP OF THE GAME' SAYS MATS WILANDER AFTER STUNNING AUSTRALIAN OPEN RETURN

“When Andy Murray was at his best, he was emotionally more involved than most players on tour. And he was making the right decision nearly every time,” began Eurosport analyst Wilander.

“He has so many choices in his head before every single shot that he hits. How does he make the right choice? He has to feel it in his heart.

“And today he made some great choices in that fifth set, and less good in the end of the fourth set, but that's the way tennis goes - you have to be able to accept that.

“To see Murray out there emotionally involved again, it makes me believe that he's going to get back to very close to the top of the game - if not the top - because physically he can hit all the shots.

“Emotionally - when he's invested and when he deals with the crowd the way he did today - he's so fun to watch.”

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

anor (Yesterday), exislander (Yesterday), jackie55 (Yesterday)

BBC - Australian Open: Andy Murray, Nick Kyrgios & Liam Broady on John Cain Arena

During his engrossing four-hour match with Nikoloz Basilashvili, Murray thought he was being booed by some of the crowd and called them out in his post-match interview by saying: "That's painful stuff, there. Those guys..."

However, he realised afterwards they were shouting "siuuu", which means yes in Spanish. It is part of Cristiano Ronaldo's celebration after scoring a goal for Portugal and Manchester United.

"Initially, I thought it was booing because there were some people booing during my practice yesterday," Murray said.

"But then after a few times it was like, 'No, they're doing that, I think it's like 'siuu' or something that Ronaldo does when he scores.

"And, yeah, it was incredibly irritating," he said, smiling.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

anor (Yesterday)

this from the beeb
    Last edited by harriet; Yesterday at 16:43.

Independent - Emma Raducanu and Andy Murray defy age and expectation at Australian Open

Eurosport - ANDY MURRAY ‘THE FIGHTER’ CAN REACH SECOND WEEK AT AUSTRALIAN OPEN OR WIMBLEDON IN 2022, SAYS MATS WILANDER

“Certainly the Australian Open and Wimbledon are the two Grand Slams where he has had his best success in my eyes, it’s where he will still have a chance to get to the second week,” said Wilander, a three-time Australian Open champion.

“And why not in Melbourne? These hard courts are playing very quick. Murray is best on the fast surfaces, always has been, so yes there’s a good chance he can make the second week of a Grand Slam over the next 12 months.

“He is one of the best problem-solvers I’ve ever seen on a tennis court. It doesn’t matter who he is playing, he’ll play them the right way.

“When Murray is at his best, it’s more about the process and tactically playing correct. He’s good at not getting ahead of himself, and he can mess with your head.

“It doesn’t matter who you are, or what your ranking is, and especially these younger players who don’t have the experience, for them to play Murray is an absolute emotional nightmare.”
    tennis365 - Andy Murray news: Tim Henman and Mats Wilander on what the Scot can achieve in 2022

Mail - Andy Murray delivers a vintage display to clinch his first victory at the Australian Open since 2017 and book a place in the second round after fighting past No 21 seed Nikoloz Basilashvili in five sets

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

anor (Yesterday)