BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Davis Cup - Madrid - who is going

Swingballer

Re: Davis (PIQUE) Cup - Madrid - who is going

Quote Originally Posted by SharonG View Post
    Hi
    New to forum.
    Bought tickets and flights from Edinburgh to Madrid. Can anyone recommend best place to stay as would like to be near/with majority of British Fans. Any organised trips happy to chip in.
    Thanks
    Hi Sharon
    Welcome to AMFF. Think there are only four of us from AMFF going to the new format DC. Im not sure where Tina and Winnie are staying - Im sure they will respond to confirm. Like a lot of recent away ties GB fans are staying in different hotels across the city (depending on your budget). I booked my hotel in the Lavapies area (were in the Ibis budget which Im lead to believe is fairly basic) because its close to the Line 3 metro for Caja Magica, but close enough to Madrid to sightsee. With so few of us there isn't really anything organised and until we arrive to collect our tickets Im not even sure where we are sitting! Will send you a personal message so we can link up.

Hi
    New to forum.
    Bought tickets and flights from Edinburgh to Madrid. Can anyone recommend best place to stay as would like to be near/with majority of British Fans. Any organised trips happy to chip in.
    Thanks
    Hello SharonG - I am going to Madrid and staying in a BnB. It will be my first time in one but it is 4 minutes walk from the location - about 300 metres! It was about 30 Euros a night. I have been to this location and remember having a lot of trouble getting back into Madrid when the event finished late so decided to try BnB and avoid any transport problems late at night.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to david1610 For This Useful Post:

GillyD (01-11-2019)

Challenger Circuit

Hi
    New to forum.
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy Madrid. Two of us are staying in an apartment about 3 or 4 metro stops from Gill's hotel further from the venue. I can send you a personal message but if I remember correctly from when I joined the forum, as a new member you have to make about 10 posts before you will be in the system for personal messages and you do not seem to have done that yet. Anyway, hope to see you in Madrid!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to exislander For This Useful Post:

tinawatt (02-11-2019)

Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by GillyD View Post
    Im going to Madrid too. I think that there will be around 20 Murrarynators, and about 20 SUBA going too. Small venue so hoping we can make lots of 'noise for the boys.'
    I'm not going but heard 80 from BATS and just read report 2 of 25 sessions sold out (Spanish ones) and 7 others at 50%. The most tickets sold to another nation is 3k to Brits, surprised so many, could be 1500 x 2 but thinking more likely some may have bought extra sessions. Anyways hope you and others going enjoy yourselves

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roytennisfan For This Useful Post:

david1610 (07-11-2019), exislander (05-11-2019), GillyD (12-11-2019)

Over the moon! Watching Andy Murray on Centre Court 28/7/21

I've heard of 2/3 tickets available for Wed/Thur (the GBR matches).
    PM me if you are interested in a late trip to Madrid.
    The off-topic queen strikes again ...................

To those going to Madrid, have a good time and safe journeys. I will be really interested in your thoughts about it when you return. One BIG bonus, you get to see Andy. That's a real treat.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patlowe For This Useful Post:

exislander (18-11-2019), GillyD (25-11-2019), Rosalind (18-11-2019), tinawatt (19-11-2019)

Re: The NOT Davis Cup ... Is anyone thinking of going?

Quote Originally Posted by RosieBear View Post
    Personally won't be going this year or any other. No intention of either organising ad hoc travel/acc (at extortinate prices) if GB progresses, or spending 3 days in Madrid in November if they don't. Ordinary people/fans trampled over yet again. I don't feel bad about not supporting - it's not like any players spoke up for fans. If others feel differently and are going, I hope they have a nice time.
    I agree. I actually hope there are minimal fans so that the millionaires see what they have done. We have spent thousands over the years but were dropped like hot potatoes. Well done for Sascha Zverev speaking out about it too.
    Andy Murray - more exciting than a carnival weekend in Rio

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rosalind For This Useful Post:

jagmad (18-11-2019), JimmyG (18-11-2019), lovetennis (18-11-2019), Teresa (19-11-2019)

Re: The NOT Davis Cup ... Is anyone thinking of going?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind View Post
    I agree. I actually hope there are minimal fans so that the millionaires see what they have done. We have spent thousands over the years but were dropped like hot potatoes. Well done for Sascha Zverev speaking out about it too.
    We also agree (Lynne and I) and also hope it's a terrible flop, not the tennis but as a financial endeavor.
    We hope all going still enjoy it but not too much as in, the atmosphere mainly.
    I noted that Andy has asked for fans to give it a chance?
    Sorry but we asked all players to consider the fans 1st as this was always the Fans tournament at heart.
    Plying for ones country first and foremost not so much for the money.
    Tim Henman said it had to change as the top players weren't playing?
    If the top players don't want to play they won't, still 9 of the top 20 not playing now according to what I read!
    Sometimes it's no bad thing. Think of Cams performance in Spain? That's just one of many.

A big thank you to all the players present and past that have spoken out including Sascha.
    Let's hope that it's a big enough flop for the powers that be to have to eat some humble pie and
    stop trying to grab the money that used to go to all the home team venues/areas.
    And go back to the old system as much as possible. As soon as possible.

Maybe we should'ave had a banner made for those going to hold up making our feelings felt. (Like)

DAVIS CUP

PIQUE CUP

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jagmad For This Useful Post:

lovetennis (18-11-2019), Rosalind (19-11-2019), Teresa (19-11-2019)

Whilst I also would not go now or in the forseeable future and far less interest in the competition, will still get a bit of excitement with Andy . Hope those going get some enjoyment but certainly not the same,have feeling though that whilst it won't be the most succesful by far will not be flop either. However longer term think difficult for both this and ATP cup to thrive, so possibly a merger.
    Last edited by JAMES4578; 19-11-2019 at 00:19.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMES4578 For This Useful Post:

jagmad (19-11-2019), lovetennis (19-11-2019)

Plese can people discuss the format on the Main thread rather than the who is going thread. Have moved some posts.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cazza99 For This Useful Post:

Rosalind (19-11-2019)