Olympic Gold Medallist 2016
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2013, 2015 & 2016
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Books - What are you reading?

Books - What are you reading?

Romance? Thriller? Sci-fi........have your say here:

Quote Originally Posted by RoastLamb
    My first thread. Yay!

I just finished reading a very profoundly moving book called Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It's about something I'd never heard of before (and can't believe I haven't!) - the Jewish roundup called Vel' d'Hiv in July 1942. Shocking and disturbing to say the least. Very well written even if the author has obviously been reading too much Dan Brown (cliffhangers at the end of every chapter).
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Well, I'm reading Rafa's book. And it's a very good read. Each chapter is split into two - the first half in Rafa's words, and the second half in John Carlin's words with stuff he's got from interviewing family & friends. Rafa has always been such a private person and it's incredible how much he has opened up for this book.
    Quote Originally Posted by galagirl
    R.L.thanks for opening the book thread. I always liked to browse this thread in the old forum.
    That book you describe sounds very interesting - must look for it for my Kindle
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydu
    i often go back and read books i have read before, some books i must have read a dozen times, the only exception to the rule is my favorite book which ihave only ever read once and i haven't read in about twenty years ,i was very tempted to buy it the other day but resisted the temptation :D
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller7
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown - liked the movie better than the Da Vinci Code.
    Jay, I also keep all books that I've enjoyed so that I can re-read them. Must have about 200 books in my collection now. Would love to know what is your favourite book.

I remember in the early days of am.com I used to discuss books with Arka. We both really loved A Suitable Boy.
    Jay, I also keep all books that I've enjoyed so that I can re-read them. Must have about 200 books in my collection now. Would love to know what is your favourite book.

I remember in the early days of am.com I used to discuss books with Arka. We both really loved A Suitable Boy.
    The Stonor Eagles by William Horwood,

Thanks Jay, have to admit that's one I haven't read.
    Thanks Jay, have to admit that's one I haven't read.
    horwood is a little obscure , he tends to do books about animals and tells it from there perspective. stoners eagles tell the story of a young eagle and its journey back to ancient homelands , and it mirrors it through the life of a young kid growing up on the south coast
    horwoods most famous books are properly dunction woods about a setc of moles :D
    Thanks Jay, read Duncton Wood, was one of my Mum's favourite books. There was another author she really liked who used to write about animals too but I can't remember who it was now.

I love books written by foreign authors that give you insight into a completely different way of life, especially authors from India or Middle East, also Africa, Japan etc. I also like books that are very well written (unfortunately American authors put me off) such as anything by Kazuo Ishiguro.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoastLamb
    I'm not big on American authors either. I love the mystery genre but the only American mystery writer who sets her books in America I can stomach is Sue Grafton.

I wonder if I had to pick, what would be my fave book of all time? Interesting.

Re: Books - What are you reading?

Had to stop reading my Kindle for awhile as I have several "real" books accumulating. Reading the latest JD Robb at the moment.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patmoren View Post
    Had to stop reading my Kindle for awhile as I have several "real" books accumulating. Reading the latest JD Robb at the moment.
    Real books? Do you mean those funny papery things where you have to actually turn the pages yourself??

Quote Originally Posted by KnightOwl View Post
    Real books? Do you mean those funny papery things where you have to actually turn the pages yourself??
    Something like that, very tiring
    Pat

My hairdresser showed me her Kobo last week. It's pretty cool coz you can download books from the library as well. I still like real books though.

I'm starting a new book club in October and am really nervous as I only know one person in the group. We are reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter Sweet by Jamie Ford. Never heard of the author before.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightOwl View Post
    I read one of those recently and it was so annoying cos I was still reading it when we headed to DC .... so had to carry this heavy paper thing as well as the Kindle (in case I finished the book ... which I didn't

I bought some secondhand books today - I'll have to try to find time to read them now! And I'm already reading a commentary on the New Testament that I got in the Bible shop reduced from 25 to 10 'cos of a slight crease in the cover!

Reading Tea Time for the Traditionally built by Alexander McCall Smith. I just love the first ladies detective agency books. Thought I'd read them all then discovered he's sneaked a few more in behind my back! They give me a real feel good boost and the characters are so well portrayed I feel like I'm in the same room even though I've never been to Africa.
    Pat xx

Pabbers, did you ever see the tv series on Mmw Ramotswe? I thought they were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RoastLamb View Post
    Pabbers, did you ever see the tv series on Mmw Ramotswe? I thought they were pretty good.
    No I didn't watch it because I was worried it might not reflect what I'd imagined. Have you read the books?
    Pat xx